Stevie G is absolute class

Vision

STEVEN GERRARD is proud of every one of his 114 England caps.

That’s why the Rangers boss would NEVER ask his players not to turn up for international duty.

Gerrard has watched key men like Alfredo Morelos, Scott Arfield, Glen Kamara, Borna Barisic and Steven Davis jet off around the world to represent their country.

Scotland gaffer Steve Clarke was asked by Arsenal not to pick Kieran Tierney for yesterday’s clash with Cyprus and Tuesday’s Hampden meeting with Kazakhstan.

Gerrard insists that isn’t his style as he is PROUD when his stars are called up for their country — no matter how far they have to travel.

He said: “I would never ever have a conversation with a player and say don’t do this and don’t do that. They are all adults.

“I think as a player you’ve just got to use common sense. If you are fit and available then you go and represent your country and do as well as you can.

“That’s the message from me. But if you’ve got a problem then I think you have to respect your club, respect the people who pay your wages and also the supporters.

“You need to be honest, use common sense and listen to your body.

“There’s no prouder man when the emails come flying into my phone about call-ups, because it means that they have done their job well first and foremost for us.

“As someone who played international football for many, many years, I know the buzz, the feeling, the experience.

“Whether it be with the Under-21s or full internationals, I am proud and pleased for all the lads who get the call-ups.”

Rangers have played 27 games since they started their season with a 4-0 win away to St Joseph’s in the Europa League qualifiers in July.

While some managers will use the international break as a time to reflect on their campaign so far, Gerrard says he has spent the last week trying to FORGET all about the beautiful game.

And while his players are running around with their country, the only run he has been concerned with is the school one.

He added: “What do I do on an international week? I just switch off and start working on the brownie points with my wife.

“I don’t want to see a football. It is school runs and totting up those brownie points with the four kids and my wife.

“That’s what I do on international weekends.”

I think this harps back to last season when Barisic got injured while playing for Croatia.  This is from last season:

Gerrard said - “Borna is out, but he’s the only one. He’s not available, which is disappointing because he should be available.

“Croatia should have sent him straight back. I think the player should have come straight back.

I think Gerrard put new rules in place last summer.  If you’re fit he has no problem with you playing for you’re international team.  But, any injury and you’re on the first plane back.

As it should be.

13 minutes ago, Paulbrian11 said:

Good words but I bet he secretly wishes Arfield would chuck Canada but.

He’s been a shadow of the player he was for us last season.  The guy obviously loves playing for Canada but I do wish he would chuck the international stuff.  He looks absolutely knackered playing for us.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Having our players play at international level increases their exposure and value. It's a no brainer, we should all support international duty.

If only we could get someone of the stature of Stevie G and his team to run the thing.

15 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Having our players play at international level increases their exposure and value. It's a no brainer, we should all support international duty.

All fine and well unless fit players come back crocked such as Barasic previously, and the ridiculous Jack over training thing. Any hint of a niggle and players should put club before country every time.

1 minute ago, To Be A Ranger said:

All fine and well unless fit players come back crocked such as Barasic previously, and the ridiculous Jack over training thing. Any hint of a niggle and players should put club before country every time.

Of course, if they are not 100% fit they don't go but to say they shouldn't go in case they get injured whilst on international duty is wrong imo.

Archived