Old Firm League Cup Finals

The Widow's Son

We generally seem to do better in these than in the Scottish Cup Finals.  Recall a few (vaguely) through the years where we've done well.  Also recall the 1982 League Cup Final where I was stuck in the wrong end, drenched to the skin and surrounded by them.  Not a pleasant memory.  Still remember Jim Beat scoring from a free kick - he didn't even seem to hit it hard at all.

14 Finals - We have won 9.

1957 celtic 7-1

1964 Rangers 2 - 1

1965 celtic 2 - 1

1966 celtic 1 - 0

1970 Rangers 1 - 0

1975 Rangers 1 - 0

1978 Rangers 2 - 1

1982 celtic 2 - 1

1984 Rangers 3 - 2

1986 Rangers 2 - 1

1990 Rangers 2 - 1

2003 Rangers 2 - 1

2009 celtic 2 - 0

2011 Rangers 2 - 1

75, 78 and 03 were the first leg of a treble too.

Personally feel that this could make our season.

The psychological aspect is absolutely massive. The belief it will give this group of players to beat the scum in a final to lift the first proper silverware since all the shit started would be huge.

Suddenly we are real winners again with a winning mentality. The doubts are taking root in the minds of the unwashed and Lemon is under the kind of pressure that can potentially unravel his weak mental state.

I'd almost say win this, keep Alfredo, and we go favourites for the league, or at least evens.

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

14 Finals - We have won 9.

1957 celtic 7-1

1964 Rangers 2 - 1

1965 celtic 2 - 1

1966 celtic 1 - 0

1970 Rangers 1 - 0

1975 Rangers 1 - 0

1978 Rangers 2 - 1

1982 celtic 2 - 1

1984 Rangers 3 - 2

1986 Rangers 2 - 1

1990 Rangers 2 - 1

2003 Rangers 2 - 1

2009 celtic 2 - 0

2011 Rangers 2 - 1

75, 78 and 03 were the first leg of a treble too.

Been to seven of them 

my record is 6-1 not bad .I was steamboats in 82 with full match ticket to hand 

Never made the game .Maybe just as well 

1 hour ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Personally feel that this could make our season.

The psychological aspect is absolutely massive. The belief it will give this group of players to beat the scum in a final to lift the first proper silverware since all the shit started would be huge.

Suddenly we are real winners again with a winning mentality. The doubts are taking root in the minds of the unwashed and Lemon is under the kind of pressure that can potentially unravel his weak mental state.

I'd almost say win this, keep Alfredo, and we go favourites for the league, or at least evens.

Yeah , I agree with this.  

So important.  Who ever wins , I'd say , would be favourites for the league .

44 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Been to seven of them 

my record is 6-1 not bad .I was steamboats in 82 with full match ticket to hand 

Never made the game .Maybe just as well 

Impressive . Six for me with a 4-2 win ratio . 

3 hours ago, cb72 said:

2009 was my first time watching Rangers in a cup final. Was there in 2011 as well, incredible day that one.

I liked this, as that feeling the first time you see a Gers captain hoisting a trophy aloft, at either a League Cup or Scottish Cup  is one that stays in a very, very special place in your heart. 

This one's for you.

And this one's for me. 

GL1478833.jpg

Edit: Just noted a certain Frazer Foster was on loan to the tims when they lost in 2011......................................

1 hour ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Sadly been to none of them ☹️

Hopefully about to change, will be great for all the you 12-14 year olds.....................................................:happy:

Seriously, the most annoying thing for me is so many of our young fans have missed out on this altogether and so many of our older fans have been lost to us in that time, without seeing us take our revenge.

Nae cup final ticket for my either but I'll be watching from the comfort of home, tea and toast in hand.  Many thanks to McEwan's Lager posting with all the stats that matter.  I didn't realise that there had been so many Old Firm League Cup Finals.  Sadly, my first was the 1957 game and never made it back to another until 1982.  My absence is mandatory now.

6 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Nae cup final ticket for my either but I'll be watching from the comfort of home, tea and toast in hand.  Many thanks to McEwan's Lager posting with all the stats that matter.  I didn't realise that there had been so many Old Firm League Cup Finals.  Sadly, my first was the 1957 game and never made it back to another until 1982.  My absence is mandatory now.

As we lost both . Maybe keep it that way . You are a jinx :whistle:

Archived