The famous Glasgow Rangers are everywhere

GOAT

1 minute ago, Colin Traive said:

Got that programme in the loft! Match organised to celebrate the opening of our new Cemetery Stand (well that’s what we called it) which consisted of wooden benches screwed on to the terracing

:lol:

I remember being on my old man's shoulders right at the very back of the stand. I thought I was going to fall about 150ft to the ground. Those were the days.

10 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Got that programme in the loft! Match organised to celebrate the opening of our new Cemetery Stand (well that’s what we called it) which consisted of wooden benches screwed on to the terracing

old_ibrox_north_enclosure.jpg

Centenary Stand in 1973, cost not much extra to get in via the Rangers or cellic end, but the Copland Road terrace was always the more popular place to be.

Saw Cruyff and co from the enclosure that night. . Wee doddy scored our goal. Was a great and enjoyable atmosphere, Dutch totally outclassed us, but we only lost 3-1.

Even though full, the attendance was only 57,000 , which showed the difference to when 80,000 attended the Bayern semi the year before when the centenary stand area was standing.only.

44 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

Was it not a match to celebrate our centenary not the stand. We invited Ajax as European Cup holders and we were ECWC holders. We created a cup for the 2 leg affair and offered it to UEFA for them to adopt it as an annual event, which they accepted

8 minutes ago, Brubear said:

Was it not a match to celebrate our centenary not the stand. We invited Ajax as European Cup holders and we were ECWC holders. We created a cup for the 2 leg affair and offered it to UEFA for them to adopt it as an annual event, which they accepted

I was thinking that too, but then realised we played Arsenal for our centenary match, and the centenary stand with the benches had been in place for a fair period before then.

So not sure at which game the Centenary Stand was opened or used first. I do remember the turnstyles from the Copland Terrace to the Centenary stand were pretty big and solid unlike the turnstyles outside the ground, and the whole end was sectioned off. Benches were really uncomfortable.

2 hours ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Hope you’re not admitting to going to Amsterdam and wasting hours on a stadium tour pal.

Haven’t touched a drink the day 😂 sitting in the airport waiting on my flight to fucking Edinburgh of all places aswell. 

2 hours ago, tannerall said:

I was thinking that too, but then realised we played Arsenal for our centenary match, and the centenary stand with the benches had been in place for a fair period before then.

So not sure at which game the Centenary Stand was opened or used first. I do remember the turnstyles from the Copland Terrace to the Centenary stand were pretty big and solid unlike the turnstyles outside the ground, and the whole end was sectioned off. Benches were really uncomfortable.

I think both matches may have been part of our centenary celebrations.  The Ajax game was partly to make up for not having any European games that season.  I think the Arsenal game might have been the opening of the stand because I remember being in it that night.  Cost of admission for the Arsenal game was 5p. 

28 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

I think both matches may have been part of our centenary celebrations.  The Ajax game was partly to make up for not having any European games that season.  I think the Arsenal game might have been the opening of the stand because I remember being in it that night.  Cost of admission for the Arsenal game was 5p. 

we beat Spurs and Arsenal within a few days and Clive Allen played for Arsenal that game ( he signed and never played a competitive game for them)

34 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

I was at the Arsenal game. Pretty sure there was close to 65,000 that night. I think Charlie George scored and they won 2-1. Please don't quote me for obvious reasons. It was a long time ago and I don't do Google.

12 minutes ago, pcbear said:

we beat Spurs and Arsenal within a few days and Clive Allen played for Arsenal that game ( he signed and never played a competitive game for them)

Was it Clive Allen who only played for London Clubs during the course of his career?

4 hours ago, tannerall said:

that Arsenal game ------  was entry because of the Centenary celebrations not something like 5 pence??? 

3 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I was at the Arsenal game. Pretty sure there was close to 65,000 that night. I think Charlie George scored and they won 2-1. Please don't quote me for obvious reasons. It was a long time ago and I don't do Google.

It was 2-1 to Arsenal.  From memory they scored two late goals, the winner was dropped into the net by big McCloy in the last minute.

2 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

that Arsenal game ------  was entry because of the Centenary celebrations not something like 5 pence??? 

It was.  Think it might have been to mirror the admission cost the first time we ever played Arsenal but not too sure.

Archived