Captain Jack

Irn Blu

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Gman36 said:

As great as morelos is at scoring in the air, it's all or nothing with him. That game on Sunday could've done with a tall powerful striker coming off the bench rather than defoe. And folk can say we aren't setup for that, but on a pishing down hampden sodden pitch final when you're chasing a goal it became punts into the box. 

We lack options up front. Defoe is less physical, but more composed than Alfie. Apart from that I see little difference.

We lack a midfield general.

We have better options in CD, but don't use them.

Bit of a conundrum.

On 08/12/2019 at 17:30, Rangers_no1 said:

Would Jack being captain have made Morelos score the pen or the 10 other chances he missed? 

Or made Kent perform? Or Goldson score those headers? 

Jack being captain would have made the official raise his flag? 

Yes

Said it before and I will say it again 

Winners are more important than leaders and leaders are more important than Captains. 

Tav played well on Sunday, by all accounts.(I only saw 40 minutes of the game). Him being Captain hasn’t cost us the final. Him being a perennial loser with deep mental scars from years of playing second fiddle to that lot, however was likely a factor. 

We have too many players that have yet to discover the winning mentality. I believe some will find it and others will just never get it. I don’t think Tav will ever get it and that’s why I don’t believe he should be Captain. Not because of any one performance but because he lacks the winning mentality. 

On the pitch on Sunday we just couldn’t find a way to win and that’s what winners do. It’s an intangible mindset and I do believe we are getting closer. If Morelos was on form we would be celebrating that final mental hurdle. Instead we have to go again. 

Morelos is someone that I believe will develop the winning mentality once he gets past the mental block. His inner drive has allowed him to sort his discipline and start becoming a top player and with that fire in him it’s inevitable he will develop into a winner. But he is not there yet and others such as Goldson, Tav, Kamara, Aribo and Kent still have to prove that they have what it takes to deliver when it matters for this club. 

Plus Helanders pace still gives me the fear but that’s a whole other subject. 

1 hour ago, Gman36 said:

As great as morelos is at scoring in the air, it's all or nothing with him. That game on Sunday could've done with a tall powerful striker coming off the bench rather than defoe. And folk can say we aren't setup for that, but on a pishing down hampden sodden pitch final when you're chasing a goal it became punts into the box. 

I was thinking that too, a Duncan Ferguson or Mark Hateley and this tactics with Tav would win us the treble with very little difficulty but I guess that standard of  players are out with our budget now. We need to find a young upcoming one that’s not yet been noticed.

Captain’s are irrelevant 

it doesn’t matter who is given the armband- what we need are 11 players, driving each other on, being responsible and ensuring the game plan is executed.  

if we rely on one individual for motivation, leadership and organising on game day we are truly fucked 

22 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

I was thinking that too, a Duncan Ferguson or Mark Hateley and this tactics with Tav would win us the treble with very little difficulty but I guess that standard of  players are out with our budget now. We need to find a young upcoming one that’s not yet been noticed.

One of those guys on the pitch instead of defoe and that mightve made the difference. As you say the problem with that is cost. Defoe we've apparently gotten in on the cheap so it's hard to be too critical. 

On this specific thing its a wee bit like Warburton. He was far too rigid in like for like subs. In some ways Gerrard tried it with Sadiq last season, but he was utter gash.

I feel our squad has room for the stereotypical big centre forward. Just as an example could we have got a guy like that instead of Stewart, considering Gerrard barely seems to want to play him? 

1 hour ago, Bakbear said:

Winners are more important than leaders and leaders are more important than Captains. 

Tav played well on Sunday, by all accounts.(I only saw 40 minutes of the game). Him being Captain hasn’t cost us the final. Him being a perennial loser with deep mental scars from years of playing second fiddle to that lot, however was likely a factor. 

We have too many players that have yet to discover the winning mentality. I believe some will find it and others will just never get it. I don’t think Tav will ever get it and that’s why I don’t believe he should be Captain. Not because of any one performance but because he lacks the winning mentality. 

On the pitch on Sunday we just couldn’t find a way to win and that’s what winners do. It’s an intangible mindset and I do believe we are getting closer. If Morelos was on form we would be celebrating that final mental hurdle. Instead we have to go again. 

Morelos is someone that I believe will develop the winning mentality once he gets past the mental block. His inner drive has allowed him to sort his discipline and start becoming a top player and with that fire in him it’s inevitable he will develop into a winner. But he is not there yet and others such as Goldson, Tav, Kamara, Aribo and Kent still have to prove that they have what it takes to deliver when it matters for this club. 

You have covered a lot that I agree with in your post, I think your point about Tav being a loser is very relevant and while he played well on Sunday he was mostly putting in crosses that we had no one able to get on to.

Like a few have said I would like a big strong forward instead of Defoe (who has scored a lot, but his age is surely a factor now as well) who can provide a different type of threat to the opposition.

Going back to the captain situation, I cannot remember many, if any, people saying when Tav was kept as captain that it was a good decision and I certainly did not either.

He had been in a losing team too often and it was a poor decision by Stevie IMO. Obviously if Tav lifts the S Cup or more importantly 55 then he will have been right, or maybe just lucky with his decision.

What we can be sure of is no change will be made during this season, it would cause too much disruption and I just do not see it happening. 

2 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Actually thought Helander reading of the game on Sunday was excellent, his pace became a problem when Goldson decided to follow Edouard like a bad smell then badly sell himself with the challenge, Helander's then left 2 on 1 with no much hope of catching that Johnstone boy. Helander getting injured was probably the best thing for Goldson IMO because he has to be dropped at some point.

3 hours ago, Bakbear said:

Morelos is someone that I believe will develop the winning mentality once he gets past the mental block. His inner drive has allowed him to sort his discipline and start becoming a top player and with that fire in him it’s inevitable he will develop into a winner. But he is not there yet and others such as Goldson, Tav, Kamara, Aribo and Kent still have to prove that they have what it takes to deliver when it matters for On this club. 

On Helander, agree but the only other opportunity they got was caused by Goldson sliding in, tackling like a wee lassie and then going to ground. 

Ryan Jack should be the captain of this team, everyone can see that. But doing it mid-season might not be a wise decision. It could create a bit of disharmony within the ranks. In time, however, I think it would make Tavernier a better player without the armband.

On 08/12/2019 at 20:31, Howsitgoing said:

Rangers as a team needs a change of direction if we’re going to win the league, Jack captain would be a good start to that. The amount the team have to rely on Tav also needs to change. He doesn’t have the ability to be the main attacking threat, his crosses, corner kicks,free kicks aren’t working.
Jack captain and let him dictate the run of play centrally instead of this reliance on a lucky punt into the box from the right hand side.

70 assists in 225 games for Tavernier says youre talking shite. 

28 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Ryan Jack should be the captain of this team, everyone can see that. But doing it mid-season might not be a wise decision. It could create a bit of disharmony within the ranks. In time, however, I think it would make Tavernier a better player without the armband.

Hopefully in time we will have a better player in Tav's place.

59 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

“There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." 
Mark Twain says your speaking shite

There's nothing like proving your point by using a historically wrongly attributed quote to prove your point.

Twain said, quoting Benjamin Disraeli. Except there's no record of Disreali having ever used it at any point, either spoken or in any written work.

14 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

I'm not sure if it's true that Gerrard gave Morelos the penalties on Sunday (given his growing mental block in old firm games it's hard to believe that he would) but if he didn't then Tav as captain should have taken the ball and taken the penalty 

What does Gerrard have to gain from lying about it?

Archived