Captain Jack

Irn Blu

10 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

One of his corners that fail to get past the first man, or one of his crosses that go out out for a throwing at the opposite side, that’s two contributions to a “failed assist “

Fucking hell. If a player has a shot on target that a keeper saves or balloons a chance over the bar are we going to start calling that a “failed goal” too. The depths that some people are going to to try and slate Tav is getting beyond the joke. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So an incomplete pass is now a 'failed assist'?

Does this criteria apply to any particular passes or just ones from Tavernier?

The point with Tavernier is that his position in our team is prevalent to how we play. With that he gets an unprecedented amount of opportunities to cross the ball, take freekicks and corners. My point is with your statistics it doesn’t highlight the increased chances and with that failures to exert these assists that you put forward. Without that your statistics isn’t really worth much.

3 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Kamara and dinny try say any different

Did you just say Kamara didn't have a good game? He was outstanding in the first half and we were no where near as good after he went off. It was a poor, tactical decision by Gerrard.

4 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Fucking hell. If a player has a shot on target that a keeper saves or balloons a chance over the bar are we going to start calling that a “failed goal” too. The depths that some people are going to to try and slate Tav is getting beyond the joke. 

I don’t even get involved now.

For some reason There’s a percentage that hate Tav.

15 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

The point with Tavernier is that his position in our team is prevalent to how we play. With that he gets an unprecedented amount of opportunities to cross the ball, take freekicks and corners. My point is with your statistics it doesn’t highlight the increased chances and with that failures to exert these assists that you put forward. Without that your statistics isn’t really worth much.

So what is a strikers goals tally worth of you dont know how many shots he's taken? 

Should we now take into account Morelos 'failed goals' or McGregor's 'failed saves'? 

How many failed assists does Ryan Kent have this season? 

3 minutes ago, The Dude said:

So what is a strikers goals tally worth of you dont know how many shots he's taken? 

Should we now take into account Morelos 'failed goals' or McGregor's 'failed saves'? 

Or how many failed assists our captain makes.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Ok fair enough but there’s a reason why many of us haven’t taking to Tavernier, it isn’t because we’re all closeted fenians. It’s his role in the team that annoys me, he is the end of the attacking threat far too often. Throw your statistics in if you want but it doesn’t contribute anything of worth to reason against why many of us haven’t taking to him.

Just now, The Dude said:

How many does he make? How many did he make on Sunday? Does he get a part-assist for the ones other folk made a cunt of? 

I would say his cross / free-kick ratio is about 1 in 10. He is a tremendous athlete so he gets himself in great positions and because we are always on the front foot, he will get assists but so far this year, his form is off for the most. Kent is also guilty when it comes to his final delivery. I think stats can be misleading at times to overall performance.

Sick to absolute fuck of the captain chat.

Beyond fucking moronic to think handing the armband over to someone else mid-way through the season would have a positive effect on the squad. Or change results.

Particularly given that by all accounts Tav is well respected by the players.

The team can, should and does have multiple leaders.

5 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I would say his cross / free-kick ratio is about 1 in 10. He is a tremendous athlete so he gets himself in great positions and because we are always on the front foot, he will get assists but so far this year, his form is off for the most. Kent is also guilty when it comes to his final delivery. I think stats can be misleading at times to overall performance.

And what would be an acceptable cross/free-kick ratio? (On average around 3% of corner kicks in the EPL lead to a goal. couldn't find specific numbers related directly to crosses/free-kick assists)

10 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Ok fair enough but there’s a reason why many of us haven’t taking to Tavernier, it isn’t because we’re all closeted fenians. It’s his role in the team that annoys me, he is the end of the attacking threat far too often. Throw your statistics in if you want but it doesn’t contribute anything of worth to reason against why many of us haven’t taking to him.

He’s an attacking full back his job is to get forward and put balls in to the box - Same with Barisic.  Once these guys cross the halfway line they’re behaving like wingers and that’s part of the managers tactics.

Since Gerrard has come in Tavernier has created over 30 goals.  I think he had 20+ assists last season and he already has at least 10 this season.  That’s a huge number of goals coming from the chances Tavernier creates.

12 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

His role in the team annoys you? Do you think Tavernier decides on the tactics or would that maybe be the manager that does that?

So why havent "many" taken to him because it can't be down to his overall contribution over the time he's been at the club. An assists every three games and a goal every five is incredible return from a defender.

1 minute ago, TMB said:

He’s an attacking full back his job is to get forward and put balls in to the box - Same with Barisic.  Once these guys cross the halfway line they’re behaving like wingers and that’s part of the managers tactics.

Since Gerrard has come in Tavernier has created over 30 goals.  I think he had 20+ assists last season and he already has at least 10 this season.  That’s a huge number of goals coming from the chances Tavernier creates.

It is a huge # of assists and there is no-one else to replace that but his crosses and free-kicks and overall play this year has been poor. There is no denying that. But if you want to assess the game on stats only then go for it. 

Just now, bluenoz said:

It is a huge # of assists and there is no-one else to replace that but his crosses and free-kicks and overall play this year has been poor. There is no denying that. But if you want to assess the game on stats only then go for it. 

When it comes to assessing his effectiveness from set-pieces statistics give a far better indication than simply saying 'aye but he's been pish this season'.

It's telling that for as poor as his crosses and free-kicks have been, nobody in the side has created more goals this season (12). Barisic is next with 10.

It's almost as if our team is specifically set up to exploit our full-backs attacking from deep - and it tends to work.

Just now, The Dude said:

His role in the team annoys you? Do you think Tavernier decides on the tactics or would that maybe be the manager that does that?

So why havent "many" taken to him because it can't be down to his overall contribution over the time he's been at the club. An assists every three games and a goal every five is incredible return from a defender.

Not  just in here but other platforms, pub talk as well, Tavernier has an unusual amount of supporters who aren’t taking to him. None of them want to weaking the team. There is an underlying issue and for you to try to say they’re wrong  with a fucking statistic is just daft. 

2 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Not  just in here but other platforms, pub talk as well, Tavernier has an unusual amount of supporters who aren’t taking to him. None of them want to weaking the team. There is an underlying issue and for you to try to say they’re wrong  with a fucking statistic is just daft. 

You mean like Barisic last year? That one worked out well.

Why would keeping the most important creative player in the side weaken us?

7 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

His form has dipped since last season I agree with you.  But, he’s still a very important player for us and he’s creating more goals than anyone else.  Tavernier and Barisic are the two best full-backs in Scotland IMO and we’re lucky to have them.  

4 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

Ignoring facts is what's fucking daft, and everything you've offered is an opinion before you claim otherwise.

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

When it comes to assessing his effectiveness from set-pieces statistics give a far better indication than simply saying 'aye but he's been pish this season'.

It's telling that for as poor as his crosses and free-kicks have been, nobody in the side has created more goals this season (12). Barisic is next with 10.

It's almost as if our team is specifically set up to exploit our full-backs attacking from deep - and it tends to work.

I'm not  saying he shouldn't play or isn't effective, I'm just stating that his final ball has a poor ratio.

Just now, TMB said:

His form has dipped since last season I agree with you.  But, he’s still a very important player for us and he’s creating more goals than anyone else.  Tavernier and Barisic are the two best full-backs in Scotland IMO and we’re lucky to have them.  

22 assists and 5 goals between them this season

Archived