Where Was Kent Yesterday........

Boybluesy

As others have said, it was clear that they put resource into marking Kent and limiting his effectiveness - probably because he caused them damage last season and they see him as our most dangerous player. They played him pretty well tbh.

Folk underestimate Brown - a good football technician he is not, but...... the role he performs at Celtic, break up play - distribute an easy ball - he is good at it and is an effective player for them.

However, whilst the tactic limited what Kent could do, but.... it opened up other areas of the park. That said Kent didn't really sparkle on the limited opportunities he had to shine. 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Blumhoilann said:

He seems to prefer the 'free roaming' game but we missed him on the line putting pressure on THEM out wide.

Ano, he didnt come inside as much last season, seems to be right in the pocket everytime our centre mids have the ball

51 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

Being a winner at Rangers...you need to turn up.  

Same as everyone on the pitch then. We literally battered them, there was nothing wrong with our tactics or the chances we had. 

They showed Kent a lot of respect by marking him with 3 guys at times and it opened up other areas in the pitch. 

He will get more space at the piggery.

I thought he had a decent 1st half but always seemed to have 2/3 players surrounding him. 2nd half he seemed to drift out of it and ended up playing through the middle for the last 20 mins. 

He certainly wasn't terrible yesterday as I thought aribo again done nothing imo. 

21 hours ago, Boybluesy said:

Brown's pish though, he'll be man marked by a lot better than that clown.

I doubt he will be marked like that though, yes teams will know he's a danger but he tore them apart a couple of times last season so they know exactly the damage he can cause and made sure he couldn't get going on Sunday, it did leave gaps elsewhere from them but which could be a way of getting into them come the end of the month.

I think what this really underlines is that we need another player on the right/in midfield to make them/teams genuinely worried. If the tims/other teams have someone else to really worry about, they can’t commit so many guys to marking Kent. Thus opening space up for him. And if they do pay Kent more attention, then the other player is dangerous enough to punish them.

Basically, it’s what we’ve been talking about all season... we need a proper, dangerous RW to balance against Kent.

3 hours ago, Ross-Gazza genius said:

I thought he had a decent 1st half but always seemed to have 2/3 players surrounding him. 2nd half he seemed to drift out of it and ended up playing through the middle for the last 20 mins. 

He certainly wasn't terrible yesterday as I thought aribo again done nothing imo. 

Agree, Aribo never did enough either.  Twice he could have broke his neck to get to the ball in the six yard box and didn't have the instinct or steel to do it.  

1 hour ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

I doubt he will be marked like that though, yes teams will know he's a danger but he tore them apart a couple of times last season so they know exactly the damage he can cause and made sure he couldn't get going on Sunday, it did leave gaps elsewhere from them but which could be a way of getting into them come the end of the month.

Agreed mate, but he needs to find a way.  He's got the ability to impose himself on a game regardless of the man marking.

2 minutes ago, Boybluesy said:

Agree, Aribo never did enough either.  Twice he could have broke his neck to get to the ball in the six yard box and didn't have the instinct or steel to do it.  

Doubt he’d be much use to us with a broken neck mate 

10 hours ago, Boybluesy said:

Agreed mate, but he needs to find a way.  He's got the ability to impose himself on a game regardless of the man marking.

If we can effect the game without him and by that I mean get a goal early or take advantage of the spaces left from doubling up on Kent then it will fall into place naturally for him and hell end up with it 1 on 1.

The sending off was probably the worst thing that could have happened to him and us as they then shut up shop and didn't give him any space at all.

When Ryan Kent plays he is marked by two players. One to cover the other. We can massively use that to our advantage if we move the ball quick. Leaves space for other players to exploit. Ryan Kent loves going at people but sometimes playing the ball to others is a better tactic rather than running into a congested area and losing the ball. I would rather he plays than not even if he has a frustrating time of it. He still takes two opponents out of the game.

Archived