Morelos breaks European goalscoring record

stevemac

Alfredo Morelos of Rangers has become the first player to score 14 goals before Christmas in a European season.

Alfredo Morelos has aleady made history in this season's UEFA Europa League – and the Rangers striker could yet snatch a further record from Colombian compatriot Radamel Falcao.

Morelos was the top scorer in UEFA Europa League qualifying this season with eight goals, and added a group-stage leading six to take Rangers to the round of 32. The total of 14 is the most ever scored by a player in a UEFA football club competition before Christmas. It is enough to leave Morelos already in joint sixth for the most goals scored in a whole UEFA men's club competition season, and just four off the record of Falcao, set in helping Porto win the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League.

In that campaign, Falcao scored in the first leg of the play-off round before claiming 17 in the competition proper, the same tally as Cristiano Ronaldo's total in Real Madrid's 2013/14 UEFA Champions League triumph.

The record for the UEFA Women's Champions League is 15 by Lyon's Ada Hegerberg in 2017/18, while the most in any European club competition was André Vanderlei's 19 for Action 21 Charleroi in the 2003/04 UEFA Futsal Cup.

Most goals in a single UEFA men's club competition season (including qualifying)

18 Radamel Falcao (Porto, 2010/11 UEFA Europa League)
17 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2013/14 UEFA Champions League)
16 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2015/16 UEFA Champions League)
15 Jürgen Klinsmann (Bayern München, 1995/96 UEFA Cup)
15 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2017/18 UEFA Champions League)
14 José Altafini (AC Milan, 1962/63 European Champion Clubs' Cup)
14 Lothar Emmerich (Borussia Dortmund, 1965/66 European Cup Winners' Cup)
14 Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke, 2011/12 UEFA Europa League)
14 Lionel Messi (Barcelona, 2011/12 UEFA Champions League)
14 Alfredo Morelos (Rangers, 2019/20 UEFA Europa League)
14 Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, 2002/03 UEFA Champions League)
14 John Wark (Ipswich Town, 1980/81 UEFA Cup)

probably been mentioned but thought this deserves a thread of its own. Realistically, should we manage to get past Braga in the next round, he could beat the all time record of 18. Hopefully bags a hat trick in the home leg in Feb (if he is still with us)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, j1mgg said:

I would look at a tally of 17, as I doubt we will get to the final.

no, but its not outside the realms of possibility that if we cruise past braga in the home tie, he bags 2, maybe one in the away tie, theres 17. If we make it to the round of 16 thats a 2 leg tie and even if we go out, I'd like to think he would get a goal over the 2 legs.

Just now, stevemac said:

no, but its not outside the realms of possibility that if we cruise past braga in the home tie, he bags 2, maybe one in the away tie, theres 17. If we make it to the round of 16 thats a 2 leg tie and even if we go out, I'd like to think he would get a goal over the 2 legs.

I was looking at braga, and possibly the round after that. Think that will be our limit, but who knows.

3 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

I was looking at braga, and possibly the round after that. Think that will be our limit, but who knows.

hopefully he is in red hot form against braga and manages at least a couple, hes then in the top 3, good company Falcao and Ronaldo.

Edit: if he does bag 3 in the next round, he's matched McCoist's European record, in 2 seasons. Phenomenal stuff.

Can’t be true he’s just a niggly wee foreigner with an attitude problem. 
Anyway the qualifying games don’t count according to the Fenians so we are all wrong. 

On a another note, Get It Right Fucking Up Ye to the rest of Scottish football and the Fenian media. 

Imagine, if you can bear it, he was a scum player.

The monumental talking up of his abilities. 

Positive aspects of his personality 

The articles about his background and how any negativity would be basically racism 

Probably a million comparisons to henrik larsson. 

The article above would be triumphantly worded confirming his absolute greatness. 

3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

I'd sell him as soon as we can - guy never scores in big games, hot head, no discipline, poor first touch yada yada yada. 

Sell him, I would just pay him off, get him out the squad, then we should beg celtic to loan us that £20m player that sometimes sits on the bench, or in the bookies, think his name is Griffith's.

17 minutes ago, Gman36 said:

Imagine, if you can bear it, he was a scum player.

The monumental talking up of his abilities. 

Positive aspects of his personality 

The articles about his background and how any negativity would be basically racism 

Probably a million comparisons to henrik larsson. 

The article above would be triumphantly worded confirming his absolute greatness. 

Think about this all the time.

Griffiths is the perfect example - rather than labelling him as the degenerate racist he is, he's merely 'troubled'. 

1 hour ago, stevemac said:

Alfredo Morelos of Rangers has become the first player to score 14 goals before Christmas in a European season.

Alfredo Morelos has aleady made history in this season's UEFA Europa League – and the Rangers striker could yet snatch a further record from Colombian compatriot Radamel Falcao.

Morelos was the top scorer in UEFA Europa League qualifying this season with eight goals, and added a group-stage leading six to take Rangers to the round of 32. The total of 14 is the most ever scored by a player in a UEFA football club competition before Christmas. It is enough to leave Morelos already in joint sixth for the most goals scored in a whole UEFA men's club competition season, and just four off the record of Falcao, set in helping Porto win the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League.

In that campaign, Falcao scored in the first leg of the play-off round before claiming 17 in the competition proper, the same tally as Cristiano Ronaldo's total in Real Madrid's 2013/14 UEFA Champions League triumph.

The record for the UEFA Women's Champions League is 15 by Lyon's Ada Hegerberg in 2017/18, while the most in any European club competition was André Vanderlei's 19 for Action 21 Charleroi in the 2003/04 UEFA Futsal Cup.

Most goals in a single UEFA men's club competition season (including qualifying)

18 Radamel Falcao (Porto, 2010/11 UEFA Europa League)
17 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2013/14 UEFA Champions League)
16 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2015/16 UEFA Champions League)
15 Jürgen Klinsmann (Bayern München, 1995/96 UEFA Cup)
15 Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 2017/18 UEFA Champions League)
14 José Altafini (AC Milan, 1962/63 European Champion Clubs' Cup)
14 Lothar Emmerich (Borussia Dortmund, 1965/66 European Cup Winners' Cup)
14 Klaas Jan Huntelaar (Schalke, 2011/12 UEFA Europa League)
14 Lionel Messi (Barcelona, 2011/12 UEFA Champions League)
14 Alfredo Morelos (Rangers, 2019/20 UEFA Europa League)
14 Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, 2002/03 UEFA Champions League)
14 John Wark (Ipswich Town, 1980/81 UEFA Cup)

probably been mentioned but thought this deserves a thread of its own. Realistically, should we manage to get past Braga in the next round, he could beat the all time record of 18. Hopefully bags a hat trick in the home leg in Feb (if he is still with us)

Lionel Messi's pish - he hasn't scored against the timmigrants... 

2 hours ago, j1mgg said:

I would look at a tally of 17, as I doubt we will get to the final.

I doubt it myself but you never know, the luck of the draw will come into play especially with it being random after this round. We could easily end up with another winnable tie and before you know it were in the Quarter's, I would like to think at home we would hold our own against anyone and we have shown we are more than capable of nicking an away goal.

Also think Alfredo will match or better the record.

Archived