Rangers Statement : VAR

Clemdog

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Inigo said:

That's no different to just saying the attacker has to be less than 5cm ahead of the attacker and putting the wee judgement line there. Which is no real difference to how they do it now. You'll still have a point where you're a centimetre offside. And there HAS to be an absolute line  with no tolerance for it to be fairly and equally applied. Otherwise you'll just have situations where one guy is given leeway and another isn't.

It's fine as it is. Folk just have to mentally adjust to it being black and white now. 

Disagree mate, there’s a tolerance even with the VAR equipment. It is in the technologies nature. So you could always have this argument. 

Even rulers have a tolerance and are not 100% accurate. So your willy could be only 4 inches.

It’s like people who think if they speed past a speed camera at 61 mph, 1 mph higher than the limit they’ll get a fine. 

Obviously not

The speed dash reading is not 100% accurate, the drivers reading - especially of the dial type is not accurate and the technology judging speed is not 100% accurate. Therefore this is built in to speed cameras and the trigger point will be more likely to be around 70mph. (For people definitely judged to have broken the law)

There are always exceptions to the rule but this is generally true.

It comes down to preventing obvious offside goals where a team has definitely tried to break the rules to get a reward.

Should an attacking player be sited for being 1mm offside? That’s ridiculous. We are human beings and aren’t very accurate especially with regard to things like body position.

If they’re 5cm offside so what? They are trying to keep with the rules of the game and play it in the spirit of the current rules.

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I found it odd that Lennon suggested last week he was for it. I can't for the life of me imagine why?

He was trying to be a smart arse. Steven Gerrard had referenced it fleetingly in a post match interview, might have been after the 2-2 with the Sheep. He knew if a statement like this came out he could cover his own arse by saying he had already vouched for it.

He also knows he didn't mean a single Fucking word of it, the cunt that he is. 

13 minutes ago, Blueteeth said:

Disagree mate, there’s a tolerance even with the VAR equipment. It is in the technologies nature. So you could always have this argument. 

Even rulers have a tolerance and are not 100% accurate. So your willy could be only 4 inches.

It’s like people who think if they speed past a speed camera at 61 mph, 1 mph higher than the limit they’ll get a fine. 

Obviously not

The speed dash reading is not 100% accurate, the drivers reading - especially of the dial type is not accurate and the technology judging speed is not 100% accurate. Therefore this is built in to speed cameras and the trigger point will be more likely to be around 70mph. (For people definitely judged to have broken the law)

There are always exceptions to the rule but this is generally true.

It comes down to preventing obvious offside goals where a team has definitely tried to break the rules to get a reward.

Should an attacking player be sited for being 1mm offside? That’s ridiculous. We are human beings and aren’t very accurate especially with regard to things like body position.

If they’re 5cm offside so what? They are trying to keep with the rules of the game and play it in the spirit of the current rules.

Yeah, but going with the tolerance of a machine takes individual biases out of it. Allowing a guy to look at the lines and say 'well, that's so close we might as well let it go' brings in extra levels of inconsistency and potential bias you don't need to bring in. 

If you go with the machine line, you're all going by the same rule and the same defined tolerance levels, rather than changing human judgements.

If they're 5cm offside so what? What about 6cm? What about 10? Or 15? Or 30? By saying 5cm, you're still making a limit, you just define it af a different place.

There always has to be an absolute, as far as possible with decisions like that. Otherwise you're asking for inconsistency.

And the spirit of offside has never been about trying to break rules. It's about preventing unfair advantages, which has to be defined equally and fairly as far as possible too.

Can you honestly imagine VAR up here, every goal for us would be" let's check VAR" so the cunts could look for a shove/pull/offside anything they can chop it for, the scum score no VAR needed it's all good, this country is too corrupt for anything to work except us beating them on the park even with cheating refs like yesterday.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

Yeah, but going with the tolerance of a machine takes individual biases out of it. Allowing a guy to look at the lines and say 'well, that's so close we might as well let it go' brings in extra levels of inconsistency and potential bias you don't need to bring in. 

If you go with the machine line, you're all going by the same rule and the same defined tolerance levels, rather than changing human judgements.

If they're 5cm offside so what? What about 6cm? What about 10? Or 15? Or 30? By saying 5cm, you're still making a limit, you just define it af a different place.

There always has to be an absolute, as far as possible with decisions like that. Otherwise you're asking for inconsistency.

You don’t understand, it is the machine that builds in the tolerance. The equipment itself has a tolerance anyway whether it be + or - 1mm, so are you then going to argue if a player is judged to be 1 mm offside it might just be the inaccurate reading of the equipment and the player was perfectly level and onside?

It is poor engineering practice to not build in tolerances and understand things by their nature have inaccuracies like equipment and that human error is an important factor too.

3 minutes ago, BlueboyG said:

Can you honestly imagine VAR up here, every goal for us would be" let's check VAR" so the cunts could look for a shove/pull/offside anything they can chop it for, the scum score no VAR needed it's all good, this country is too corrupt for anything to work except us beating them on the park even with cheating refs like yesterday.

Perhaps it could work the same way as tennis 3 VAR calls a match?

Just now, Blueteeth said:

You don’t understand, it is the machine that builds in the tolerance. The equipment itself has a tolerance anyway whether it be + or - 1mm, so are you then going to argue if a player is judged to be 1 mm offside it might just be the inaccurate reading of the equipment and the player was perfectly level and onside?

It is poor engineering practice to not build in tolerances and understand things by their nature have inaccuracies like equipment and that human error is an important factor too.

I do understand. That's what I've just replied to. Same as Hawkeye, nothing exists anywhere that is exact in any sense without plus or minus. Yet in tennis they accept and go with it. To add human 'give the attacker the advantage' or whatever human based leeway on top of that adds inconsistency and bias that that doesn't need to be there. 

A slightly imprecise machine that everyone knows has a tolerance in every call and everyone knows is only as accurate as we can hope to be, or letting a person just say 'well the machine says it's close and because of machine tolerances we'll let it go'? People will apply that with far more variance than a machine will get it wrong through tolerance.

4 hours ago, Blueteeth said:

If he didn't say that then the statement would have been dismissed as petty from us. By us appearing more neutral and trying to take the referees side we have prevented any action being taken over the statement by the SFA and we take a more solid stance. This has been helped by us winning our last game under different circumstances - so it isn't seen as sour grapes.

Perfect timing, and great statement to send out there and call them cunts without them being able to see it or prove it.

All about opinions mate, I think it makes the statement a little weaker because of these words, but I am glad it was done and to be honest never expected to read what I did.  :thumbup:

54 minutes ago, Inigo said:

That's no different to just saying the attacker has to be less than 5cm ahead of the attacker and putting the wee judgement line there. Which is no real difference to how they do it now. You'll still have a point where you're a centimetre offside. And there HAS to be an absolute line  with no tolerance for it to be fairly and equally applied. Otherwise you'll just have situations where one guy is given leeway and another isn't.

It's fine as it is. Folk just have to mentally adjust to it being black and white now. 

I think they go too far back in the build up to a goal at times down south, case in point the wolves goal yesterday. Wolves gained no advantage in that goal by the winger being a toe nail offside. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

I think they go too far back in the build up to a goal at times down south, case in point the wolves goal yesterday. Wolves gained no advantage in that goal by the winger being a toe nail offside. 

Agreed. The Germans generally use it far better.

1 minute ago, Inigo said:

I do understand. That's what I've just replied to. Same as Hawkeye, nothing exists anywhere that is exact in any sense without plus or minus. Yet in tennis they accept and go with it. To add human 'give the attacker the advantage' or whatever human based leeway on top of that adds inconsistency and bias that that doesn't need to be there. 

A slightly imprecise machine that everyone knows has a tolerance in every call and everyone knows is only as accurate as we can hope to be, or letting a person just say 'well the machine says it's close and because of machine tolerances we'll let it go'? People will apply that with far more variance than a machine will get it wrong through tolerance.

:lol:

I give up, you’re talking about bias again which means you don’t get it at all.

You either let the game flow or have it interrupted constantly for stupid things.

If every player has to abide by VAR by being within the 5cm or being ruled offside then how can there be bias?

Maybe another engineer would like to argue the point, I can’t be bothered any more.

Just now, Blueteeth said:

:lol:

I give up, you’re talking about bias again which means you don’t get it at all.

You either let the game flow or have it interrupted constantly for stupid things.

If every player has to abide by VAR by being within the 5cm or being ruled offside then how can there be bias?

Maybe another engineer would like to argue the point, I can’t be bothered any more.

Mate, I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying.  I'm comparing using machine tolerance against using human bias and variance. Former every day of the week.

1 hour ago, glasgow argyle said:

I think no matter who is in charge of var in Scotland if it comes? Then they must have disallowed the septic goal in L.C. final,  stevie wonder could have called that offside. 

I agree 100% with that offside goal, it is when they start putting up these lines and seems like they are working with such minimal measurements I can see that it might well continue to cause us grief, IF the same people who are refereeing at the moment get to make decisions by VAR.

I thought when it was brought in it would be wonderful, but you can end up with some crazy decisions from the panel. I think it would probably help in most cases here where the ref's/linesmen seem scared to give any decision against the tarriers in case they are taken to task for the next two three weeks about it, they have no concerns about doing it to us. 

I am glad we have at least raised the terrible decisions that have been made in the last few games, Sheep, Final and yesterday ( I do feel yesterday was just plain cheating).

Archived