Gerrard nails it backing Alfredo

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/sport/18145078.steven-gerrard-reckons-alfredo-morelos-critics-want-kill-ibrox-career-can-fire-Rangers-success/

Steven Gerrard reckons Alfredo Morelos critics want to kill his Ibrox career because he can fire Rangers to success

By Christopher Jack  @Chris_Jack89

Alfredo Morelos

STEVEN GERRARD has accused the critics of Alfredo Morelos of attempting to drive him out of Scottish football because he has the potential to fire Rangers to silverware success.

The Colombian has repeatedly come in for attention throughout his Ibrox career and several pundits and former players have been vociferous in their condemnation.

Rangers defended the ‘game over’ gesture Morelos made after the Old Firm win at Parkhead as he was sent off for the second time this term.

A club statement claimed the 23-year-old was ‘singled out for special attention’ and Gerrard is confident Morelos will continue to improve his behaviour as he looks to silence his critics by delivering trophies at Ibrox.

Gerrard said: “Everyone knows the amount of time and effort we are putting in as a staff and the other players are putting in to help him.

“He knows he’s not perfect but he’s certainly misunderstood because he does a lot of good work and he is trying so hard to improve.

“There’s evidence of that. Is he perfect right now? No.

“Will he makes a few mistakes going forward? I predict he probably will, but a lot of the fallout and the opinion, people do want to kill him.

“People want to see him the other side of the worldfor good. You also have to understand where that’s coming from and the reasons why it’s getting said. We understand all that, there’s no problem. The most important thing for us is that he’s going to help us massively in the second half of the season.

“I’m not going to sit here and paint a picture that he’s an angel or he’s perfect but what I can guarantee is that he’s doing everything he can improve.”

Victory in the Old Firm clash took Rangers - who still have a game in hand - to within two points of celtic in the title race.

Much of the focus since has centred around Morelos as he has once again made headlines and attracted attention.

But Gerrard insists the striker won’t be put off by those that line up to quickly condemn his star striker.

Gerrard said: “Because he is a threat, because he scores big goals and he is a big player for Rangers.

“He is one of the big reasons and the key factors that, if we are to be successful, they know it will be largely down to his goals and his contribution.

“But that is life, that is the way it is. When I played with Suarez at Liverpool, he didn’t really have any fans outside. I used to join up with England and the opposition players despised him and couldn’t believe you were saying he was actually a genuine guy and a family man and had a heart of gold.

“That is why these players are special, because they have got that in their game. They are not always going to get it right and everyone has to accept that.

“And I think the people that fire the negativity have to also remember what they have got under their roof as well. Not everyone is perfect in other teams as well.”

Spot on gaffer 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

Chris Jack btw is one of the few journalists that I actually like. Feels like he's one of the few that gives us a voice.

Also feel like he does it without letting his opinion shape the article he's writing.

The amount of times I'm supposed to be reading a supposed 'balanced' article from the likes of Michael Stewart or Tom English and about spewed in my mouth is unreal.

If the scum has a player that is as big a liability as they claim Morelos is then I’d be keeping quiet leaving them to it. You have to ask then,why all his critics are scum fans.
Well done Gerrard, his reasoned voice in this is what’s required the clowns he’s contradicting stand no chance against someone of his calibre. 

21 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

If the scum has a player that is as big a liability as they claim Morelos is then I’d be keeping quiet leaving them to it. You have to ask then,why all his critics are scum fans.
Well done Gerrard, his reasoned voice in this is what’s required the clowns he’s contradicting stand no chance against someone of his calibre. 

They do he’s called Ryan Christie. Gets painted as an angel who does no wrong, despite the fact he regularly gets red carded... “it’s not in his nature”

19 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

They do he’s called Ryan Christie. Gets painted as an angel who does no wrong, despite the fact he regularly gets red carded... “it’s not in his nature”

How long is something deemed "uncharacteristic" before people realise maybe his rolling about and dirty tackles are characteristic s if his.

23 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Still think he goes on too much that Buff has a problem that has to be fixed. 
He doesn’t, his 2 reds this year are for second yellows that every other player in the league doesn’t get. 

alfredo needs to mature. as silly as his sending offs were he could hae avoided them and thats what gerrard means.

diving and celebrating to opposing fans is only gonna end up one way for him. it is bullshit he gets victimised like that but eventually he has to accept it and try his best to deal with these scum or its going to be the same results each time.

all in al his discipline is miles better. but like the gaffer said no is perfect and he s making the effort to solve the issues.

9 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

alfredo needs to mature. as silly as his sending offs were he could hae avoided them and thats what gerrard means.

diving and celebrating to opposing fans is only gonna end up one way for him. it is bullshit he gets victimised like that but eventually he has to accept it and try his best to deal with these scum or its going to be the same results each time.

all in al his discipline is miles better. but like the gaffer said no is perfect and he s making the effort to solve the issues.

As much as we all love Alfredo you're spot on, his two second yellows could've been easily avoided.

52 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

Rubbish 

Scum game is a prime example, does to Lego exactly what he gets 3 or 4 times a game (got it of Julie that game) and he is booked for it. Goes down like every other forward for the slightest touch at the end of a game and he is booked for it. Does a celebration to the Motherwell fans he does to Rangers  fans and he gets booked for it. 

So maybe you should be asking just who has the problem in Scottish Football. 

58 minutes ago, Mclean RFC said:

Think he already has. It's his haters who have the issue.

The abuse of him both on and off the park has not abated.

Football is a passionate sport and I see no reason whatsoever in his behaviour to have it dumbed down any further.  The haters are grasping at straws.

His haters look to be offended by his very breathing, even when they win on the park. On their recent defeat, they have only doubled down on the demonisation.

We hope none of it affects him and he continues to express himself both in play and in celebration.

21 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Rubbish 

Scum game is a prime example, does to Lego exactly what he gets 3 or 4 times a game (got it of Julie that game) and he is booked for it. Goes down like every other forward for the slightest touch at the end of a game and he is booked for it. Does a celebration to the Motherwell fans he does to Rangers  fans and he gets booked for it. 

So maybe you should be asking just who has the problem in Scottish Football. 

He dived in the last minute I don’t think anyone can argue against that. Everything else I agree with.

Chase of subject but player of the month for December hasn't been announced, they usually announce manager and player on the same day. Could they be waiting for Morelos to get out to Dubai today for them to announce that he's got it? 

Well said Stevie G.
It isn't only Alfie they want to see on the other side of the world.
It's the whole club as we are the people who remind them of their rotten history.
We are the people they cannot look straight in the face.
They have been on this mission since we left them crying tears for years.
If they could've ended us,they would've,and it wasn't for the want of trying.
There are still thousands of fenians who are trying on a daily basis to see us gone.
The more we get back to where we deserve to be the more the campaign against Alfie will crank up.
Not sure if you will ever have witnessed hate till you help us achieve 55. 

2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

He doesn’t, his 2 reds this year are for second yellows that every other player in the league doesn’t get. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can remember only one of his seven red cards was for violent conduct (later rescinded on appeal, correctly) the other six have all been for a second yellow.  He regularly gets booked for fouls/actions other players don't even get spoken to by the ref for.

He does little petulant flick outs now and again and generally niggles at centre halfs all game, absolutely rag dolling most of them but nothing that is going to seriously injure them.

How many reds have been for going through opponents in dangerous tackles that could hurt them? How many bad, over the ball lunges/tackles has he made in his entire Rangers career?

None, that's how many.

Now compare that to the numerous lunges and elbows that lego gets off with scot free almost every other week and some of the over the ball straight leg lunges ryan "not in his nature" christie commits.

Yet the smsm :megaanguish: make Morelos out to be some sort of out of control mad psycho. 

They all hate him because they know how good he is and he happens to wear a royal blue jersey, their hatred of Rangers is all consuming and the fact we have by some distance the best footballer in the country makes them all spew.

I fucking love el bufalo. 

12 minutes ago, RS4_wul said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can remember only one of his seven red cards was for violent conduct (later rescinded on appeal, correctly) the other six have all been for a second yellow.  He regularly gets booked for fouls/actions other players don't even get spoken to by the ref for.

He does little petulant flick outs now and again and generally niggles at centre halfs all game, absolutely rag dolling most of them but nothing that is going to seriously injure them.

How many reds have been for going through opponents in dangerous tackles that could hurt them? How many bad, over the ball lunges/tackles has he made in his entire Rangers career?

None, that's how many.

Now compare that to the numerous lunges and elbows that lego gets off with scot free almost every other week and some of the over the ball straight leg lunges ryan "not in his nature" christie commits.

Yet the smsm :megaanguish: make Morelos out to be some sort of out of control mad psycho. 

They all hate him because they know how good he is and he happens to wear a royal blue jersey, their hatred of Rangers is all consuming and the fact we have by some distance the best footballer in the country makes them all spew.

I fucking love el bufalo. 

Spot on Mate. 👍👍

2 hours ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Yes I did think he spent too long on that, but at least it is some kind of 'we know what your game is you wankers'. :happy:

Gerrard gets it, he now sees what Rangers are having to go through and what we are up against.

Luckily he's an intelligent guy with the likes of Gary McAllister to help advise him.  I am glad he is starting to get a stronger and no nonsense attitude with the media who have run rough shod over us for the past few years because there are too many 'Rangers' men trying to build bridges when in fact a full frontal assault is what is required.

I have noticed he is good at dropping in wee snippets and digs, like ,“And I think the people that fire the negativity have to also remember what they have got under their roof as well. Not everyone is perfect in other teams as well.”  He's not mentioned anyone by name, but the clue is obvious to all and it  let's it be known to the media, and the detractors, the bias has been noticed.

More power to his press conferences!

Archived