It’s not happening!

corkinator

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's face it the best teams lose a game or 2 each year.(unless your Liverpool)Ok do weve lost 2 league games..yes I was as gutted as everyone yday. But it might be the reality check we need. Weve effectively 2 points behind if we win game in hand...then throw into the mix they will drop points and weve  got 2 old firms. Get our best 11 on the park no one can live with us. Gerrard will have told a few home truths in changing room yday. We need to win and preferably win well midweek. 

Half Season Report & Summary so far:

League Cup Final-- Losing to a celtic team of 13 players, that we played off the Park. Should have been 3 up at half-time.

Scottish Cup-- Safely into the next round.

Europa League -- from 1st qualification round, to group stage, (AGAIN) to last 32. (Including famous Ibrox wins over FC Porto and Feyenoord, and very credible results in Porto and Rotterdam).

Scottish Premiership -- Only 5 points the difference, 2 points if we win our game in hand at home to St Johnstone.

Played 21

Won 17 (including 1st win at The Piggery in a decade)

Drawn 2 (Away at Pittodrie & Tynecastle)

Lost 2 ( Home v celtic & Away v Hearts)

Still 17 league matches to play including 2 old firm fixtures, and both us and celtic having to go to Hibs, Motherwell, Aberdeen etc etc.

On reflection on all of the above, I would have took this in a heartbeat when the 1st ball of the season was kicked in July.

So let's dust ourselves down after Sunday, press the reset button, and get behind our team and go again.

This can still be a wonderful season.

5 hours ago, RockwellGers said:

We're all hurting from that result but are we FUCK done with this title challenge. 

I’m not saying we’re done but we won’t win it, we’ll knock out a few wins but I think it’s too much to ask this group 

4 hours ago, corkinator said:

I’m not saying we’re done but we won’t win it, we’ll knock out a few wins but I think it’s too much to ask this group 

You might be right and I can see why that would be the case, but nobody knows what is going to happen. If we win our next few games we are still right up there. We need to be better of course, we have Morelos back now I believe, so we can start by kicking the shit out of Ross County tomorrow. Maybe the scum will even draw in Perth, unlikely but you never know.

On 27/01/2020 at 13:06, corkinator said:

We’ve all seen this before.

im not being defeatist, just a realist, it’s not happening again this season. 
we’ve been woeful since returning from the break. World beaters to panel beaters in a month.

They will drop points but not less than us. The metal strength and depth of squad isn’t there. 

Pity as we’ve  played some fabulous stuff. 

Win our game in hand and we are two points off joint top and still have to play celtic twice.

Seems entirely possible that we can win the league but we do need to find our groove again post winter break.

2 hours ago, beararse said:

Win our game in hand and we are two points off joint top and still have to play celtic twice.

Seems entirely possible that we can win the league but we do need to find our groove again post winter break.

It more the way we are playing, it’s been poor.

36 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

“They have shown really good consistency this season and Sunday’s game was a blip."

Walter Smith (yesterday).

It was a wake up call imo. Morelos isn’t all we have, the others needed to realise that they are expected to get goals as well. 

46 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

“They have shown really good consistency this season and Sunday’s game was a blip."

Walter Smith (yesterday).

Who am I to argue with sir Walter.

i genuinely hope you all come on this thread and hand me my arse at the end of the season for my pessimism.

its funny as in every other area of my life I’m very positive, except when it comes to Rangers 😫😫

33 minutes ago, corkinator said:

Who am I to argue with sir Walter.

i genuinely hope you all come on this thread and hand me my arse at the end of the season for my pessimism.

its funny as in every other area of my life I’m very positive, except when it comes to Rangers 😫😫

I will be too drunk  when we win 55 to type coherantly so no fear of that happening mate. 

Walter Smith reveals the Rangers title realisation Steven Gerrard must drill into Ibrox stars

The Ibrox icon has delivered his verdict on his former club's Premiership title battle with celtic.

He's probably forgotten more about what it takes to win a league championship than most managers learn from a lifetime in the dugout.

So if Walter Smith assesses that Steven Gerrardreally is equipped to snatch celtic’s crown this season then it’s pretty safe to assume he has a fair idea what he’s talking about.

Even more so, given his deadpan expression and natural aversion to hyperbole.

But that doesn’t mean he expects it to be easy. On the contrary, the man who led Rangers to nine in a row believes the next title win will be one of the most difficult ever to be achieved by any boss in the Ibrox club’s entire history.

“It’s the first time for a while that it looks like there will be a challenge from a Rangers perspective and Steven is clearly doing a terrific job with the team,” Smith nods as he pours himself a cup of tea.

“But when you have gone through the spell Rangers have gone through over the past so many years it’s not just about building up a challenge. It’s about getting players in your team to realise what it really takes to win a championship.

“Rangers are getting a bit of stability on and off the pitch but celtic have had that for a great number of years now and that’s a benefit to them. That’s what Rangers have to overcome.

“And the people who are there at the moment probably have as hard a job as any board or team have ever had in trying to win a league.

“It’s a difficult task to come back from where they were. Especially at a club which had never been in those circumstances before.

“They had never had to work their way through the divisions and it’s a hard mentality for a club to get.

“Everybody at Rangers at the present moment – from the board to the manager – are working under completely different circumstances to those I worked under for most of my time.

“They have a harder job. Steven has taken on a harder task than I took on my second time around but they are getting there.”

Of all places, Smith is nursing his cuppa in the celtic Park boardroom, having helped to launch Billy Against Dementia charity golf day – an event organised in conjunction with the McNeill family in the name of the late, great Lisbon Lion.

He doesn’t need to look too far to be reminded of how far his own club has fallen since his time at the helm.

And yet, although the odds against Gerrard have also been stacking up just lately, Smith appears to believe something significant is taking place on the other side of the city.

He goes on: “Rangers have been building up for a couple of years but the players are now experiencing for the first time what it’s like to try to win a championship in earnest - at a time when both Rangers and celtic are strong.

“Listen, any league is hard to win but the hardest aspect of all is learning how to win it. It’s all about how you get there and the realisation of doing that.

“The loss at Tynecastle, it wasn’t a normal performance. They will be extremely disappointed with how they played.

“They have shown really good consistency this season and Sunday’s game was a blip.

“But they have shown that they can compete at the highest level. Their performance in the League Cup Final, their performance at celtic Park at the end of the year were exceptionally good.

“They have shown they can get up there and do that. The defeat at Tynecastle, like everything else in Scotland, was exaggerated a bit.

“Rangers can still get back there and Rangers can still win the league. There haven’t been many of the last few seasons when we could have said that.”

But one glance over his shoulder reminds him of how far Gerrard still has to go if he’s to make off with the trophy celtic have made their own over the last eight or nine years.

And Smith accepts that the serial winning mentality inside Neil Lennon’s dressing room may yet determine the outcome of this latest skirmish.

He nods: “I don’t think it’s a massive advantage but, yes, it’s an advantage all the same.

“Experience of winning is one of the advantages there for celtic but the Rangers players have to learn to match that mentality and there are signs that they are getting there.

Walter's full interview there (with Jackson in the Rebel 🤮) gives a good insight into how he views the progress made, how good we are, but how difficult the job at hand is.

we’ve been woeful since returning from the break. World beaters to panel beaters in a month.

They will drop points but not less than us. The metal strength and depth of squad isn’t there. 

We are potential 2 points behind with c. 18 including 2 against them and we have proved we are more than capable of winning both of these. 

I do accept we need to up our performances as we cant afford to lose any more ground. 

On 27/01/2020 at 15:06, corkinator said:

On 27/01/2020 at 15:12, OhW said:

Fuck off 

@OhW

👍

It's not over until it's mathematically impossible so take your nostradamus mystic meg gypsy trailer shite elsewhere. Sick of all these fucking panic merchants

Let's face it, we have been dug shite in the 5 games since we came back.

I hope it's drummed into the players how essential 3 points is on Wednesday, especially as I can see Motherwell taking something off the filth.

Hamilton showed yesterday that they can be got at, despite having a player sent off by Celtics 12th man.

The players need to waken up out of this slumber, before it really is too late.

Archived