It’s time the players stood up

Dave Hedgehog

To be a Rangers player you need to be strong mentally.

There isn’t a more challenging club to win things.

Even our best teams and players have been through spells where things are going wrong but they manage to pick themselves up and get back to winning.

This wee spell right now can turn good as fast as it turned bad.

Do these players have that mentality? Let’s see. Let’s back them. Come on Rangers. 

There's still a long way to go.

If we can get Tav back (ideally on Wednesday), Morelos going, Jack back (sooner rather than later) and Hagi up to speed all of sudden we are a different team.

We need more from others too obviously. 

We're still very much in this although we must take all 3 points on Wednesday. There's very little room for error now. Certainly not giving up. A lot can still happen. We just need to get back to winning ways and get some momentum going.

I questioned their mentality just before the game at their place and the players answered it.........now however I'm beginning to doubt it again.

I think we are better than celtic and I'm sure we will show that again when we face them but the problem is the other teams, we just struggle to break them down while they seem to find the net with ease ATM. If we are not careful we could find ourselves slipping further behind.....we really need a shot in the arm and to be thrown a bone, a little like we have been doing for them recently with a defeat and a draw.

On Wednesday they face Motherwell and I'm hoping the steelmen can take something off them , we ofcourse have Hibs and if we don't win then potentially we could be 10 or 9 points behind them.......on the other hand we could cut the gap to 4 with our game in hand and things suddenly don't seem to bad.

We need a wee turn in the road, hopefully Wednesday provides us with just that.

4 hours ago, kelvd1873 said:

For me kamara, aribo, ojo and Kent need to do more! Greg Stewart should also have more game time. 

For me Kamara has, along with Jack been the only midfielders prepared to go and win the ball. Arfield runs about not getting close enough to win the ball and Davis shrinks when the going gets tough. Kent gets frustrated not getting the ball when he makes runs and the ball goes sideways then back and sideways again. I do not see what Ojo brings to the bench and Aribo looks knackered in the second half of games.

The team as a whole need to up the tempo and work harder during games and be prepared to take chances not pass the buck.

Its time the Manager put his head on the block and stood up!Lead by example ,Master and Appentice .

Time to be ruthless,drop who is shite and keep who are driven and galvanise us forward, show us some guts and the players change the Captain and formation!

8 hours ago, kelvd1873 said:

For me kamara, aribo, ojo and Kent need to do more! Greg Stewart should also have more game time. 

He is injured atm and he will be gutted at that as he would prob had a few starts I agree though, we need one sparkling performance to kick start the 2nd half of the season and get a run of victories under our belt the fragile mindset must be worked on as its baffling to be flying before the break to being bang average after it needs sorted rapido before they get out of site, also the goal difference is stretching and that will end up being worth the equivalent  of another point.

4 hours ago, saltire266 said:

Its time the Manager put his head on the block and stood up!Lead by example ,Master and Appentice .

Time to be ruthless,drop who is shite and keep who are driven and galvanise us forward, show us some guts and the players change the Captain and formation!

So what team for tomorrow night achieves this? If Tav / Jack / Stewart still not ready to start who plays and who is captain, what formation do we go?

Just getting sick of the one dimensional play now tbh. 

Works brilliantly away from home (bar Hearts) and in Europe but at home somethings got to give. Sitting with 3 defensive mids is absolutely criminal and between them have less than 10 goals this season, with Jack making up the majority. 

For a manager renowned around the world for goals from outside the box we embarrass ourselves by constantly playing to get inside the box, even then we still attempt to pass it instead of taking a dig. It’s an absolutely howling tactic and I’ve said time and again a dig from outside the box anything can happen, keeper fumble, goal, corner, deflection etc. 

36 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Just getting sick of the one dimensional play now tbh. 

Works brilliantly away from home (bar Hearts) and in Europe but at home somethings got to give. Sitting with 3 defensive mids is absolutely criminal and between them have less than 10 goals this season, with Jack making up the majority. 

For a manager renowned around the world for goals from outside the box we embarrass ourselves by constantly playing to get inside the box, even then we still attempt to pass it instead of taking a dig. It’s an absolutely howling tactic and I’ve said time and again a dig from outside the box anything can happen, keeper fumble, goal, corner, deflection etc. 

Shooting from outside the box makes the opposition defence come out a bit. Even if you don’t shoot it makes them come out anyway just in case.

Our tactic of never doing it allows them to just sit tight knowing we are going to try and play through it and makes their job easier. 

There was a spell under eck when all the team wanted to do was have that extra touch and looking back now I think it’s a combination of lack of confidence and passing on the scoring responsibilities to the next person.   Can’t think of many we score outside the area- ojo vs feyenoord, Davis vs Porto.  Can’t think of any more.

i see the players with the ball around the penalty area which is swamped with big defenders and I just know they’ll go side to side.  If I know it then it’s a certainty other managers know it.

There is a lethargy in the team that comes from peaking and then having an enforced break just when you're building momentum. The team isn't experienced enough to simply pick up where it left off. A few changes,  a subtly altered focus is needed and much faster attacks middle to front. Polster is also a midfielder maybe replace Kamara with him for the time being and see if that injects some urgency. Far more shooting,  defkections, keeper oarrying/spillage,  defensive panic are all more likely to result in goals.

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

So what team for tomorrow night achieves this? If Tav / Jack / Stewart still not ready to start who plays and who is captain, what formation do we go?

McGregor,

Barisic Katic Edmunson Patterson

Jones   Davis    Polster

Kent              Haji

Morelos  

Bench Helander,Aribo,firth,etc

4-3-2-1

2 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

McGregor,

Jones   Davis    Polster

Kent              Haji

Morelos  

4-3-2-1

No like Goldson a take it?

*Hagi 

59 minutes ago, saltire266 said:

McGregor,

Jones   Davis    Polster

Kent              Haji

Morelos  

4-3-2-1

Bit harsh dropping Goldson out the squad but having a guy on crutches on the bench.

Before the break our midfield were superb,  Jack, Davis & Kamara, but I feel 2 games a week have taken their toll on Davis in particular,  Kamara has gone off the boil and prone to basic errors of late. Jack perhaps been carrying an injury before being taken off at half time? Hagi has still to prove himself but confident he can hit the ground running  ,Arfield can also do a job in midfield and has shown a  bit better form of late, so perhaps rotation,  certainly in the case of Davis should be used more often.  Of course in an ideal world we hit form and can keep the same 3 in midfield but important decisions must be made. As usual after set backs I stay off this site for at least 24 hours and in this case longer as I get pissed off with the negativity,  but our game tomorrow is a MUST win , or I think our title challenge will be over, regardless of the taigs result at Motherwell.  I.m a glass half full man. And I still have belief that we can stop the taigs,  but our starting 11 tomorrow better be up for the fight and get us back on track. 

Archived