Passing Sideways.

tannerall

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, TMB said:

One of the Centre midfielders must be removed.  Go 4-2-3-1.  Get Kent, Hagi, and Stewart all behind Morelos.  Be more positive and trust the attacking players to go win us the game.  

Yeah I thought that was the whole point in signing Hagi.

Someone who takes the ball in the centre of the park and creates instead he’s played out wide looking lost with absolutely no link up with Tavernier.

22 minutes ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Every other team has sussed us, they force us to pass sideways, I don’t see the taigs that much but they create space to pass, it’s about movement and pulling the defence out of position 

There was a passage of play tonight where the camera had panned back so you could see practically the entire half we were attacking.

we moved the ball out wide (as usual) and everyone stood in the exact same fucking place.

we should be moving as a unit. Drag defenders over then quickly switch to the space created.

Instead, they’re all rooted to the spot. It’s fucking grim to watch.

Aonther thing that’s seriously getting  on my tits is Aribo’s ability to be on the wrong  side of a player when trying to tackle/win the ball back yet he can’t get beyond them when he’s receiving/received the ball.  He’s clearly  got talent but doesn’t seem to have a footballing brain to use it. Pains me to say it but Eejaria  actually offered more to the team.

8 hours ago, tannerall said:

We're very good at it. 

And this is the rux of the whole matter afaic.  

Years ago I watched a video of the British Lions tour of  South Africa ,  where the coaches , ian McGeechan and Colin Telfer made their famous speech about ' This is your Everest ' . However , the main thrust drummed into the players at team talks , in the dressing room and as they walked out to play the Test Series was ' make it happen ' .

This is where we're lacking , things dont just happen . You've got to make it happen , and right now we dont have anybody willing to do that , either with the ball or making runs off it . Nobody wants to take the responsibility of making it happen , and instead we end up with playing toothless football played across the park instead of up and down it . 

And yes , the Lions did win the series against the , at the time , world champions . 

8 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Every other team has sussed us, they force us to pass sideways, I don’t see the taigs that much but they create space to pass, it’s about movement and pulling the defence out of position 

I have been saying for ages that we do not have any intelligent players, not of them has any vision or can read a game. 

8 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

They have more players with creative ability ,composure and fight for everything as a group ..Every game .
We sort of did that at their place .Haven't seen it since .

They sign players and give them winning mentality 

We already have losers that don’t inspire any of the new players .Average is almost acceptable 

Until we rid ourselves of our perennial losers .We will keep seeing the same thing 

Tav was screaming at Jack for going backwards right at the start. Then the next time the ball comes to him he goes sideways then throws his hands up in frustration as if he had no options.

Said it in the match thread but tactically, we were completely out of ideas inside 10 minutes. I don’t see how that’s possible, particularly when we knew exactly what tactics we would come up against, as it’s been the same all season.

9 hours ago, Red Matrix said:

We were a team of spirited underdogs, doing one over on the champions at the turn of the year. Now with the heavy weight of expectation on us, the players are constantly looking for the safe option in fear of making mistakes and getting it tight from the support. Ryan Kent's the best example of this. Start of the season? Always looking to take on his man. After the break? Cut inside, backwards pass or a wayward early ball into the box.

We needed to bring in experience in January. Player's who've been there and done it. Who know how to drag a team over the line when the pressure's on. We didn't.

I guarantee we'll start playing better again now that we've blown it and the pressure's off. We'll give Braga a right good game as well. Bookmark it.

Fuck off.

Don't know why we seem to have reverted to a Warburton style possession game with absolutely no one making runs, us slowing the game down to allow them to get 10 men behind the ball and being afraid to shoot for the most part. 

Take about 6 passes to switch play and every man takes a touch at least. 

Its sickening as its all our own fault again. 

The move that led to the corner for Arfield's goal was a fantastic bit of play getting up the pitch in 2 or 3 moves, and the interplay between Tav, Morelos and Hagi at one point with one touch football was good too, with Morelos then making the wrong decision to shoot on his left foot.

Tav winning the ball well then playing Morelos' in for his lob was great play, and Morelos' pass curved round their defence into Kent was brilliant. Hagi's first time ball in the box to Aribo was class.

So basically what I'm saying is, I don't think it's as bad as being made out, we had more than enough good chances to win that game 4 or 5-2 - has to be a combination of mentality and decisions going against us at the minute. Not convinced the tactics are to blame.

18 minutes ago, TheBluebells said:

Don't know why we seem to have reverted to a Warburton style possession game with absolutely no one making runs, us slowing the game down to allow them to get 10 men behind the ball and being afraid to shoot for the most part. 

Take about 6 passes to switch play and every man takes a touch at least. 

Its sickening as its all our own fault again. 

We have stopped hunting in packs and closing the opposition down and forcing them into mistakes, it's simple bloody stuff. The players need a fucking rocket up the arse, time for Gerrard to show he has what it takes to be a manager.

5 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

We have stopped hunting in packs and closing the opposition down and forcing them into mistakes, it's simple bloody stuff. The players need a fucking rocket up the arse, time for Gerrard to show he has what it takes to be a manager.

See the thing that's gutting mate is that I feel that time was at Hearts and since we've shown we don't have what it takes, manager and team. 

23 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

The move that led to the corner for Arfield's goal was a fantastic bit of play getting up the pitch in 2 or 3 moves, and the interplay between Tav, Morelos and Hagi at one point with one touch football was good too, with Morelos then making the wrong decision to shoot on his left foot.

Tav winning the ball well then playing Morelos' in for his lob was great play, and Morelos' pass curved round their defence into Kent was brilliant. Hagi's first time ball in the box to Aribo was class.

So basically what I'm saying is, I don't think it's as bad as being made out, we had more than enough good chances to win that game 4 or 5-2 - has to be a combination of mentality and decisions going against us at the minute. Not convinced the tactics are to blame.

Those were all good moments, but you seem to forget that we were playing like that for almost whole games before New Year, not just for a couple of ten second spells out of 90 minutes.

It’s gone wrong at every level, from tactics to effort to mentality, and it’s a failure of management.

6 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

Was always two/three players closing the ball down with the rest of the team moving up to limit an out ball, so the opposition either made a mistake or hit it high and hopeful. It was the same when we had the ball, movement from players and move the ball quick. The player on the ball always had two good options to pass to. Fuck knows why we’ve stopped.

33 minutes ago, TheBluebells said:

See the thing that's gutting mate is that I feel that time was at Hearts and since we've shown we don't have what it takes, manager and team. 

The players raise their game for celtic and in Europe but it seems it's beneath them for the rest, no way should the manager let them away with that. 

6 minutes ago, murzo said:

Was always two/three players closing the ball down with the rest of the team moving up to limit an out ball, so the opposition either made a mistake or hit it high and hopeful. It was the same when we had the ball, movement from players and move the ball quick. The player on the ball always had two good options to pass to. Fuck knows why we’ve stopped.

Seems to be a combination of pure complacency and believing they are better than they actually are.

8 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

everyone of them scared to make a wrong pass and lose possession so it’s safe safe safe fkn chronic

I’d agree with this, Arfield apart none of them were prepared to take responsibility. For our system to work Kent and Aribo have to take defenders on rather than take the easy option and play square across a crowed box. On the couple of occasions we played quickly from back to front last night we looked great but for the vast majority of games since we came back we’ve been so pedestrian and predictable it’s hard to watch and easy to defend against.

1 minute ago, dougie76 said:

Seems to be a combination of pure complacency and believing they are better than they actually are.

When the second went in last night there were a good few of them just standing still with their hands on their hips looking sad. 6 minutes left to save their season, they should be sprinting up the pitch ready to kick off and attack, but they’d given up. Summed it up for me.

22 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

Why did they change something that was so effective.

4 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Why did they change something that was so effective.

They obviously don't want to win enough, we can forgive players for having limited talent  but you have to make up for that with hard work, seems that's asking to much of some.

20 minutes ago, dougie76 said:

They obviously don't want to win enough, we can forgive players for having limited talent  but you have to make up for that with hard work, seems that's asking to much of some.

When we were struggling in the lower leagues all I asked for was give everything you have. These cunts are going through the motions

Archived