Time for a new manager?

Dave Hedgehog

32 minutes ago, backup said:

Were is the DOF in all of this, Southampton have a proven "black box" data base system, did he bring any ideas from that with him, or any sort of ideas on how to improve our situation.

Or is he another wasted wage ?

He's had one transfer window and the two players we signed have had a pretty decent impact. Think we should perhaps give him a little more time. 

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

He's had one transfer window and the two players we signed have had a pretty decent impact. Think we should perhaps give him a little more time. 

Wilson will be working away in the background but if it came out that Wilson was actively going to the board and floating names about as potential replacements for Gerrard while Gerrard is still at the club then people would be moaning about how he’s undermining the manager.

39 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Except It is clearly relevant because if we had better players and the quality squad depth celtic have, we would be less likely to drop points against these teams. We don't have quality replacements on the bench that can come on and change a game.

Tactics and formations, i agree, he could be improving a lot and he doesn't seem to learn from it, but again, that could be down to the quality on the bench tbh.

And before anyone says "Gerrard signed these players" yes he did, because we needed to build a squad, but we can't afford quality in every position. celtic are topping up their treble winning side with £4m players who can't make their bench, that's the difference.

But the argument last summer was give him time he has the core of his squad now and he just needed to add quality over quantity 

1 minute ago, ger4life_1872 said:

But the argument last summer was give him time he has the core of his squad now and he just needed to add quality over quantity 

Never seen that argument tbh - it was obvious we needed to add better squad players because guys like Jason Holt, Dorrons etc weren't good enough. We've replaced them with better and also added a few quality additions, we now need more quality to progress further imo.

Our starting 11 is as good as theirs, but our bench is pish.

44 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Except It is clearly relevant because if we had better players and the quality squad depth celtic have, we would be less likely to drop points against these teams. We don't have quality replacements on the bench that can come on and change a game.

Tactics and formations, i agree, he could be improving a lot and he doesn't seem to learn from it, but again, that could be down to the quality on the bench tbh.

And before anyone says "Gerrard signed these players" yes he did, because we needed to build a squad, but we can't afford quality in every position. celtic are topping up their treble winning side with £4m players who can't make their bench, that's the difference.

We dont need tarrier level quality to come on and change games though against shite like st johnstone or killie

In about a weeks time defoe will be fit, that gives us kamberi, morelos and defoe as our striking options, no one else in scottish football has 3 strikers like that, yet we only play one up front, 

Gerrards probable favoured starting 11

Shagger,tav,goldson,helander, barisic, davis, jack, aribo, kent, hagi, morelos 

That leaves a bench of any of

Katic, Edmundson, polster, kamara, arfield, jones, ojo, barker, defoe, kamberi

There is plenty of quality and different types of players on the bench that he could use to change things, its like he either doesn't know how to (unlikely given he did it yesterday) or unwilling to (for whatever reason) 

Even if he is intent on starting with the 433, he could easily change it to a 442,4231,4141,352,343,424, all of which would change the game

5 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We dont need tarrier level quality to come on and change games though against shite like st johnstone or killie

In about a weeks time defoe will be fit, that gives us kamberi, morelos and defoe as our striking options, no one else in scottish football has 3 strikers like that, yet we only play one up front, 

Gerrards probable favoured starting 11

Shagger,tav,goldson,helander, barisic, davis, jack, aribo, kent, hagi, morelos 

That leaves a bench of any of

Katic, Edmundson, polster, kamara, arfield, jones, ojo, barker, defoe, kamberi

There is plenty of quality and different types of players on the bench that he could use to change things, its like he either doesn't know how to (unlikely given he did it yesterday) or unwilling to (for whatever reason) 

Even if he is intent on starting with the 433, he could easily change it to a 442,4231,4141,352,343,424, all of which would change the game

We clearly do though, because we struggle to break teams down and we're bringing on guys like Stewart and Ojo asking them to change the game and they can bring on Christie and Rogic.

I actually do agree with you about needing to change tactics and formations btw, especially when we don't have players available. You can't ask a squad player to play the same role as a first team player and expect the same results - he needs to change it to suit the style of the players available at that point tbh.

6 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Never seen that argument tbh - it was obvious we needed to add better squad players because guys like Jason Holt, Dorrons etc weren't good enough. We've replaced them with better and also added a few quality additions, we now need more quality to progress further imo.

It was all over the forum last season when people wanted him binned , we didn't need a rebuild we didn't need much , we were only a few players away , quality over quantity was what we were supposed to get last summer and it never happened,  hes filled a large part of the squad with absolute shite that wasnt required 

Just now, ger4life_1872 said:

It was all over the forum last season when people wanted him binned , we didn't need a rebuild we didn't need much , we were only a few players away , quality over quantity was what we were supposed to get last summer and it never happened,  hes filled a large part of the squad with absolute shite that wasnt required 

It's not an opinion i would agree with, that's probably why i never noticed it tbh.

This same squad was also being praised and everyone on here thought they were amazing 8 weeks ago btw.

2 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

It was also the official line from Gerrard etc in press conferences. 

3 minutes ago, OhW said:

It was also the official line from Gerrard etc in press conferences. 

The players added were considered good enough and better quality replacements only 8 weeks ago on here tbf.

I still think we're a few quality players away from being able to cope with the demands of a full season.

7 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

It's not an opinion i would agree with, that's probably why i never noticed it tbh.

This same squad was also being praised and everyone on here thought they were amazing 8 weeks ago btw.

Where the squad being praised or the first 11 ? Because like you said and I agree , our best 11 is better than theirs , he added a load of squad fillers that weren't good enough and weren't required in the summer 

7 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

The players added were considered good enough and better quality replacements only 8 weeks ago on here tbf.

I still think we're a few quality players away from being able to cope with the demands of a full season.

Let’s be honest every player off the top of my head that was signed in the summer has been slaughtered apart Helander (even then he was to a lesser extent) and Davis.

4 minutes ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Where the squad being praised or the first 11 ? Because like you said and I agree , our best 11 is better than theirs , he added a load of squad fillers that weren't good enough and weren't required in the summer 

The squad players are better than the players they replaced and that's what was needed at the time and all we could afford to do imo, now we need better again if we want consistency. 

4 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Let’s be honest every player off the top of my head that was signed in the summer has been slaughtered apart Helander (even then he was to a lesser extent) and Davis.

Every player gets slaughtered on here at some point regardless mate. 

1 minute ago, BlueMe said:

The squad players are better than the players they replaced and that's what was needed at the time and all we could afford to do imo, now we need better again if we want consistency. 

Fair enough if that's your opinion,  barker , Jones,  Stewart , king (obv dont know if he was really costing anything so maybe unfair) were a waste of wages and squad positions and that money could have been better used 

1 minute ago, ger4life_1872 said:

Fair enough if that's your opinion,  barker , Jones,  Stewart , king (obv dont know if he was really costing anything so maybe unfair) were a waste of wages and squad positions and that money could have been better used 

All free transfers, so a low cost risk to take on 3 players who knew the league and done well at previous clubs. 

I do think those 3 are a decent squad players tbh but we do need better.

3 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

Are they though? Squad players wise...

We've let Docherty, McCrorie, Rossiter, Candeias & Murphy go

And replaced them with Ojo, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Edmunson 

Even on paper that's not an improvement never mind what they've delivered on the pitch.

43 minutes ago, BlueMe said:

This.

Also means we can't really rest key players.

I only ever watch them when playing against us, but I'm guessing celtic rotate their first 11 more and are therefore fresher.

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Are they though? Squad players wise...

We've let Docherty, McCrorie, Rossiter, Candeias & Murphy go

And replaced them with Ojo, Jones, Stewart, Hastie, Edmunson 

Even on paper that's not an improvement never mind what they've delivered on the pitch.

I would've kept Candeias and Murphy tbf, McCrorie and Docherty were never getting into our midfield yet. Is Rossiter even still playing football? He'll never make it in any team at this point tbh.

Hastie and Edmundson are ones for the future, Jones and Stewart are decent squad players and Ojo is pish, agreed.

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The scums 'quality depth' is a complete myth. Were you not preaching that we had a better 11 than the scum recently?

Here's a list of the scums reserve players... Bayo, Hayes, Arzani, Klimala, Soro, Bauer, Griffiths, Rogic, Johnstone, Shved, Bolingoli, Elynounossi, Connell, Bain, Elhamed and Henderson. Bar 2/3 where is this quality squad depth from that list? There's three players in there who are actually any good, one has been a coke head for ages, Rogic has been injured and so has the loan man from Southampton.

So Kamberi didn't change the game yesterday? Defoe is not a strong back up striker?

I'd love to see your like for like comparison between that list of scum reserves to others and tell me how many of those are better than our back ups!

Out of that list: Griffiths, Rogic, Elyanoussie and possibly Johnstone and a few others would easily improve our bench and they obviously improve theirs, that's the difference.

Defoe is the one player who i can think of that has genuinely made our bench look decent, maybe add Kamberi in, but it's far too early to get carried away there.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Say our best 11 is McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Jack, Arfield, Aribo, Hagi, Kent and Morelos.

Are people actually suggesting the likes of Katic, Defoe, Foderingham, Davis, Kamara, Jones, Edmundson, Stewart and Kamberi are not good enough to bring in and play against some of the shit in this league? Our second 11 is as strong as any other first 11 in this division outside the taigs ffs

That's a fair point tbf, but, getting those players to perform consistently at their best is the problem. 

Better players give you that consistency.

22 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

For me it’s 100%.

He changed it at half time with a player the fans wanted to start. 

Took him until halftime to see what the fans have seen since Thursday.

He just doesn’t learn.

The league is away even if they tramps drop something today are we will continue to drop more if this keeps going.

If we swap and change our management team every 18 months then we are pretty certain that 55 will be another 5 years minimum away. The vast majority of successful team have a stable management team,

We have made progress under SG, and yes we all wanted to kick on better this season domestically but to get rid of the management team would set us back. 

My biggest issue is we do not achieve something Gerrard highlighted as important - "good game management".

We are 12 points behind and 10 of the points we have dropped out of the total of 17 have been in games where we were winning.   Defeats to Hearts and Kilmarnock and draws with Aberdeen and St Johnstone. 

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Defoe > Griffiths

Agreed

Fod = Bain

Debatable 

Katic > Bauer

Is Bauer not a RB?

Flanagan > Boli

Disagree 

Rogic > Davis

Agreed 

Stewart > Bayo

Don't even know who Bayo is, so fuck knows tbh

Jones = Johnstone

Debatable 

Hayes > Halliday

Agreed 

Elynounossi > Kamberi

Agreed 

Ntcham > Kamara

Agreed 

Just ten comparisons from the squad players. 4 each IMO.

Nobody will convince me Shved, Connelly, Soro, Elhamed and Arzani is stronger than  Ojo, Barker, Edmundson, Hastie and Polster. The scum have as much complete dross in their squad as we do.

Few questionable choices there imo.

Archived