Time for a new manager?

Dave Hedgehog

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

Wilson will be working away in the background but if it came out that Wilson was actively going to the board and floating names about as potential replacements for Gerrard while Gerrard is still at the club then people would be moaning about how he’s undermining the manager.

But it is ok for sg to actively talk about renewing rivalry with Lampard, while still The Rangers manager, if the DOF isn't being proactive he isn't doing his job and he hasn't brought his former employers black box ideas with him.

Surely one day we will recruit a top class DOF.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
58 minutes ago, OhW said:

It was also the official line from Gerrard etc in press conferences. 

This 👍

We were told quailty over quantity. For me that is 3-4 players that could slot straight into the first 11 and improve the side.  Knocking players already there into the squad/backups roles. 

Of our summer targets only aribo and Helander fit that description really.  Kent was already part of the side from last year.

8 minutes ago, backup said:

But it is ok for sg to actively talk about renewing rivalry with Lampard, while still The Rangers manager, if the DOF isn't being proactive he isn't doing his job and he hasn't brought his former employers black box ideas with him.

Surely one day we will recruit a top class DOF.

How do you know Wilson isn’t being proactive in his job?

It’s mental to throw any criticism at Ross Wilson when he’s been in the job five minutes and the two players we signed on his watch had both made a difference.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

I don't rate Jones but Johnstone is all about pace himself. 

Flanagan is poor but that Boli struggles to even control a ball.

Bauer is but couldn't remember another CB, I forgot about Bitton who plays there at times, so yeah Katic > Bitton

All about opinions mate. 

And you're right, they do have plenty of shite as well tbf.

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

It’s mental to throw any criticism at Ross Wilson when he’s been in the job five minutes and the two players we signed on his watch had both made a difference, but it’s to be expected from you tbh, you absolutely thrive on taking delight in our struggles when we aren’t doing well.

Your input is as usual, as enlightening as a blown bulb, and you still dodged sg/lampard,  you used in your blubber about wilson "undermining" if he was going to the board.

The only undermining is sg throwing players under the bus regularily, you have a nice day now.

2 hours ago, DBBTB said:

And what if we get papped out of Europe and the Cup..which is a real possibility with the way we are playing at the moment.

There comes a point where you can’t just keep defending and backing him.

Europe  wouldn’t put me up or down 

scottish cup- his jacket would be on a shooogly peg 

don’t get me wrong just now I’m raging that he didn’t seem to want to change but he has to do something

this is not just learning from past mistakes this season

this goes back to league cup semi last season 

Scottish cup replay last season

after winter break last season 

euro run kept him going last season 

has to win trophy this time around  

12 minutes ago, backup said:

Your input is as usual, as enlightening as a blown bulb, and you still dodged sg/lampard,  you used in your blubber about wilson "undermining" if he was going to the board.

The only undermining is sg throwing players under the bus regularily, you have a nice day now.

I don’t even know what you are talking about with regards to Gerrard and Lampard, that’s why o ignored it.

Can you answer my question about why you think Wilson isn’t being proactive in his job or not because based on what we did in January the signs so far is that he very much is. 

18 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

It’s mental to throw any criticism at Ross Wilson when he’s been in the job five minutes and the two players we signed on his watch had both made a difference.

I forgot he existed (backup not Wilson) until I saw this post. It’s well seen we are in a bad place and almost like magic here is the most negative person on this forum!

4 minutes ago, jintybear said:

I forgot he existed (backup not Wilson) until I saw this post. It’s well seen we are in a bad place and almost like magic here is the most negative person on this forum!

Never seen in the period we were playing well and then crawls out of his hole as soon as we have a downturn in form. He’s not the only one either. You wonder what people with that mentality actually gain out of supporting us don’t you?

46 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Defoe > Griffiths

Fod = Bain

Katic > Bauer

Flanagan > Boli

Rogic > Davis

Stewart > Bayo

Jones = Johnstone

Hayes > Halliday

Elynounossi > Kamberi

Ntcham > Kamara

Just ten comparisons from the squad players. 4 each IMO.

Nobody will convince me Shved, Connelly, Soro, Elhamed and Arzani is stronger than  Ojo, Barker, Edmundson, Hastie and Polster. The scum have as much complete dross in their squad as we do.

So if the starting 11 are comparable, as are the benches, that must means it's the management team.

You really saying Lennon et all are better than Gerrard, McAllister etc?

4 minutes ago, beararse said:

So if the starting 11 are comparable, as are the benches, that must means it's the management team.

You really saying Lennon et all are better than Gerrard, McAllister etc?

I am.

He came in after the tranny who was a hard act to follow and secured another treble.

We put him under pressure and he wins the LC.

He changes it and go in front by a country mile, whilst we serve up the same shite week on week and plummet.

His players will bleed for him. Ours go through the motions with shitebaggery, steal a wage and drive home in their Lambo's.

I wouldn't say there's a difference, there's a gulf as wide as the Grand Canyon.

If Gerrard stays it will become clear quite quickly in the summer looking at the players that are kept whether he is going to take a different approach or just try and make incremental improvements to the same system and gameplan. If he resigns Davis for example that will be very telling for me. I cant see him having a significant budget unless Morelos goes somewhere for decent money and then you've got to try and replace him with a chunk of that as well. Presumably we will want to take Hagi permanently and thats another big chunk.

10 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

I am.

He came in after the tranny who was a hard act to follow and secured another treble.

We put him under pressure and he wins the LC.

He changes it and go in front by a country mile, whilst we serve up the same shite week on week and plummet.

His players will bleed for him. Ours go through the motions with shitebaggery, steal a wage and drive home in their Lambo's.

I wouldn't say there's a difference, there's a gulf as wide as the Grand Canyon.

The biggest difference is the wage bill.

They have a wage bill that absolutely dwarfs ours.

We think our players are better than theirs because we have seen how they can play under our management team and we have seen how theirs play under Lennon.

Gerard has been getting the most out of his squad until recently. Lennon has been getting nothing more than would be expected from his players who are supposed to be better than ours.

If you swapped the management teams, I have absolutely no doubt that the points difference in the league would see celtic with about double the lead they have now. That is with the assumption that Lennon would be trying his hardest to make us win as well. 

2 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

You're being a bit harsh for not topping our europa league group .. gerard has been in the job proper for 18 months and it's his first job.

Were all fuckin raging and want to topple they cunts but constant change of manager isn't the answer . Maybe someone of experience in as a help. Souness in the boardroom maybe ?  

1 hour ago, Gaffbear said:

The answers are simple from all sides . 

1. Gerard must learn to adapt to different opposition .

2. The players who have shown no bottle since beggars game need to be held accountable and must be dropped . 

3. We need proper investment from numerous sources and we need to push for maximum price for fredo .

4..We need a proper captain who is the manager on the park . Personally I'd give it to McGregor ( don't like keepers usually) but hes got a winning mentality and means like Barry Ferguson.

5. We have to be realistic they cunts are habitual winners and have got 5 years run on us . We always knew it would be difficult . Shooting ourselves in the foot disnae help ffs but in general we are better than 2 years ago .

We cant afford to sack our management team after signing new contracts so our club must back him to the hilt but stevie must learn as he goes and ask for help off people who've been there and done it.

I remember  Alex Ferguson saying that he was up for the sack and had threatening letters etc and asked Matt Busby for advice and he got tactical advice and 1 other bit and that was noone else can do this job and noone else is where you are right now. Dont listen to people putting you down and dont read the papers.

1) Doesn’t seem to be happening. 
2) He is far too loyal to the wrong players. 
3) Not happening, god knows where we would be without the Euro money.

4) We need a few Captains on the pitch I don’t think I remember a time when I would struggle to find a Captain in a Rangers team. 
5) We may be better but we seem to have hit our glass ceiling as the club stands at the moment. It doesn’t appear we are going to get any closer to them this season. 

I agree on backing him because we don’t have any other option, but as I said in this post already we seem to have reached a limit to just how much we can back him. Stevie also has to step up and show us he is learning his trade and improving his own standards and so far it doesn’t appear he has. 

2 hours ago, BlueMe said:

We clearly do though, because we struggle to break teams down and we're bringing on guys like Stewart and Ojo asking them to change the game and they can bring on Christie and Rogic.

I actually do agree with you about needing to change tactics and formations btw, especially when we don't have players available. You can't ask a squad player to play the same role as a first team player and expect the same results - he needs to change it to suit the style of the players available at that point tbh.

Our subs may not be as in depth as theirs, but id argue that their manager making system changes helps their subs look better, funnily enough gerrard showed it at HT yesterday that he can do it, just one player and a tactical switch meant we started dominating at johnstone

However when he's making changes, and asking guys to play out of position, thats why they look worse than they are, its like he tries to put square pegs into round holes every game

Nobody can account for katic and goldson at the first goal yesterday, or katic at the 2nd, but surely it must be visible to him that certain players are struggling because they are out of position, we see it every game now

Its unreal why he made that second tactical switch yesterday when we were dominating and pressing st johnstone back, even if katic still gifts them a second, the way we started the 2nd half i thought we'd defo score a third and maybe a 4th, but once he changed it we never looked like scoring again (and see if i see that steven davis clipped pass onto a defenders head once more, Rangers will owe me a new telly lol) 

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Wilson will be working away in the background but if it came out that Wilson was actively going to the board and floating names about as potential replacements for Gerrard while Gerrard is still at the club then people would be moaning about how he’s undermining the manager.

Its the DOF job to look at future managers and keep in touch with what they are doing and how they like to play football. If Stevie doesn’t like that then tough shit. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

1) Doesn’t seem to be happening. 
2) He is far too loyal to the wrong players. 
3) Not happening, god knows where we would be without the Euro money.

4) We need a few Captains on the pitch I don’t think I remember a time when I would struggle to find a Captain in a Rangers team. 
5) We may be better but we seem to have hit our glass ceiling as the club stands at the moment. It doesn’t appear we are going to get any closer to them this season. 

I agree on backing him because we don’t have any other option, but as I said in this post already we seem to have reached a limit to just how much we can back him. Stevie also has to step up and show us he is learning his trade and improving his own standards and so far it doesn’t appear he has. 

To be fair, the change of system worked a treat at the weekend, Katic just had a howler that cost us the win.

That change of system would not have been on the cards a few months ago, so he is learning and changing things up. He has done it in the last two games.

It might not be as quick a solution as many want, but I doubt many would have thought about playing Aribo in a left wingback role which is surprisingly effective!

I think he is doing a great job, but going through a tough spell. Much of it is his fault, but we are also being hampered by shite refs and shite pitches, none more so than Ibrox!

34 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

The biggest difference is the wage bill.

They have a wage bill that absolutely dwarfs ours.

We think our players are better than theirs because we have seen how they can play under our management team and we have seen how theirs play under Lennon.

Gerard has been getting the most out of his squad until recently. Lennon has been getting nothing more than would be expected from his players who are supposed to be better than ours.

If you swapped the management teams, I have absolutely no doubt that the points difference in the league would see celtic with about double the lead they have now. That is with the assumption that Lennon would be trying his hardest to make us win as well. 

Ours and their wage bill matters not a jot, ours absolutely dwarves killies, but they beat us, sheep, hearts, st johnstone all tiny compared to ours

And for your last paragraph i think is way off, lennon knows scottish game, he's learned it and worked it out, he regularly changes the tarrier team to beat Scottish football park the bus mentality, 

4 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

To be fair, the change of system worked a treat at the weekend, Katic just had a howler that cost us the win.

That change of system would not have been on the cards a few months ago, so he is learning and changing things up. He has done it in the last two games.

It might not be as quick a solution as many want, but I doubt many would have thought about playing Aribo in a left wingback role which is surprisingly effective!

I think he is doing a great job, but going through a tough spell. Much of it is his fault, but we are also being hampered by shite refs and shite pitches, none more so than Ibrox!

You do realise he changed the system back at 2-1, we went back to the shitey one to try protect the lead, 

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Can’t really argue with that mate, what I would like to see is starting with a different approach from the off instead once we are knee deep in the shite at halftime. 
Also think he hasn’t really been pro active enough in his signings, almost as if he has decided his 11/13 are good enough and he isn’t going to mess with them and it’s just squad players we need. When it’s fairly obvious his 11/13 aren’t good enough and we need better in with those players becoming squad. 

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Ours and their wage bill matters not a jot, ours absolutely dwarves killies, but they beat us, sheep, hearts, st johnstone all tiny compared to ours

And for your last paragraph i think is way off, lennon knows scottish game, he's learned it and worked it out, he regularly changes the tarrier team to beat Scottish football park the bus mentality, 

Of course it does.

Rangers and celtic will always drop points throughout the season to other SPFL teams who have lesser wage bills, it is purely about who does it less.

celtic lost to Livi earlier in the season, it does not mean that the Livingston manager is the next Klopp.

I dont agree with your assessment on Lennon, I think he has just inherited a squad in much better shape then what Gerard has. Like it or not, but Rogers was a phenomenal manager for them and they are still reaping the rewards for it. The core of Lennon's team is still Rogers. The players he has brought in himself are very much hit or miss. 

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Can’t really argue with that mate, what I would like to see is starting with a different approach from the off instead once we are knee deep in the shite at halftime. 
Also think he hasn’t really been pro active enough in his signings, almost as if he has decided his 11/13 are good enough and he isn’t going to mess with them and it’s just squad players we need. When it’s fairly obvious his 11/13 aren’t good enough and we need better in with those players becoming squad. 

Agreed, and I think that will be the next logical step.

I think we may see a familiar formation in the next European game, as I actually think it suits our game on a decent pitch.

Come the next domestic game, I think we will see a different starting formation.

Archived