Fickle

Burts91

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Badger said:

I've said before, with the wage gap between us and them - we are only winning the league if we over perform, or they under perform.

Lets be honest a par score for this level of Rangers squad, over the season would be somewhere around the 85-90 point mark, we are on course to finish around the 90 point mark.  celtic are on course to finish on 103 pts, which would be the 2nd highest points tally since the league went to 38 games in 2000. Even a great Rangers side would struggle to match that, and indeed we have never broken 100 points with far better squads than this.

90 points would be enough to win the league  in 8 out of the last 20 seasons, and league winning Rangers sides (far better than this one), only amassed 90-95pts.

It isn't good enough, it isn't where I want Rangers to be..... but it is the harsh reality. We are still suffering badly from the events following Valentines Day 2012, and pissed seasons up the wall with McCoist, Murty and Caixinha at the helm, when we should have been preparing for now.  I will excuse Warburton to a point, as he improved us immediately but.... didn't kick on to the next required level (albeit had limited backing in taking a Championship side to the SPFL). 

Whilst I do not think there is much between Rangers best XI and Celtics best XI.

They have 2 big advantages:

• Superior squad depth
  • Winners mentality

If we lose a few players, it weakens us far more than it weakens them. Their 3rd choice striker for example, cost £4m. Ours was struggling to get a game at a bang average Hibs side. 

People will point to Gerrards transfer spend, but for much the same reason as Everton could match Liverpools transfer spend for 2- 3 seasons, and still nowhere near as good. celtic have an established core of quality, and any spend they make compliments it. Our spend is to the bring the core level up to the required standard. Our one big spend, Kent, isn't on form (and he doesn't improve us from last season, as he was here on loan). We need to be adding 1 or 2 players of quality each window, not loanees and squad filler. 

I don't know if Gerrard is the man to take us forward any more - I feel deep down that he may be nearing the plateau of taking us as far as he can, undoubtedly improving us. 

Unless something drastic happens they'll always have the ability to outspend us. The only way we can win the league is if they go for Europe after getting the 10, otherwise I can't see it happening.

1 hour ago, five stars said:

Gerrard needs to find the answers to our mid season capitulation two years on the trot.

We have, in the main,  a good enough squad of players. But there's been a massive underperformance both individually and collectively since the break. 

Gerrard needs to find the answers or we need to find someone else.

I don’t think we have a good enough squad or team in the main tbh

That has been proved since Christmas .In a one off game .We could take our levels higher .Yet more often than not .The same players are being found wanting in many levels .

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

If he was rotating more I guarantee you the same people complaining now would be slating him for being a tinkerman and not playing his strongest team.

Too many terrified Tav, Goldson and Arfield lose their places.

Persisting with Ojo showed just how bad his judgement was and gave an insight to the mind set. The irony is, he played when we weren't dropping points, which tells you how bad the oppo is.

Too many who start games simply not good enough to sustain a challenge. Had several decent performances in the first half of the season where we surpassed ourselves, but there were also many games where we struggled to get over the line. The second half of the season we are not even doing that.

We give it the ponderous style of play in 90% of our games. Now if that wasn't down to the manager, then why the fuck is he not changing it and those who can't chage it, simply dropped?  It's not like we're playing Barca every week  and under extreme oressure ffs. We are actually reverting to it from the kick off against dross.

We blame teams for sitting in as an excuse for turgid performances. Well that's down to us in how we set up and in our style of play. 

Then we blame ref's and justifiably so in many instances, but ffs, we now have fans commenting on favouritism in scum games that have fuck all to do with us. Would we complain if the refs were favouring us?! We're becoming bigger victims than the scum themselves. It's becoming embarassing and needs to stop and we need to look at our own failings or nothing will change.

To turn this around, Gerrard doesn't need to tinker with thing things, but needs a transformation in our style. How we set up and with whom. Playing with the same faces, with the same old set up and failing is obviously not cutting it and we're talking against dross, then he needs to become the manager we all thought he would be. Ruthless. No sentiment. No favourites. A plan B.

Poor results and not learning, ultimately cost you your job. Expectations were high and if these oerformances continue, fans will simply vote with their feet and the board will be left with no option. We're not exactly flush with money to burn.

15 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

How many games is that we have dropped points from a winning position since the break?

I could look myself but at this moment in time I really can't be arsed.

We've dropped 8. 3 at Hearts, 3 at Kilmarnock and 2 yesterday. We've dropped 10 all season from winning positions if you include the 2-2 at Aberdeen in December.

celtic on the other hand have dropped zero from winning positions and as you know the gap is 12 points and we have a game in hand. Chucking these games we're winning have cost us at least a big title challenge going into the spring.

40 minutes ago, Swagger said:

The league cup was massive for us. We need to win something to give these players some belief and the obvious mix of refereeing decisions and completely wrong penalty taker meant we lost a game we dominated. 
Until this squad get success in something we are never moving forward- every game in this league is a worry at the moment because these players don’t have the bottle for it. 
We can match them strongest 11 v strongest 11 but we can’t get near them over a season 

A captain who bottled the pen and an other player who cries after getting beat so no wonder there is no winning mentality to sustain a challenge.

5 minutes ago, dee9 said:

I've got to agree tbh.

This place is absolutely unbearable at times tbh.

If it’s unbearable .Why not just step away and not let it bother you 

Honestly too many snowflakes on here .Every single bear is entitled to there opinion  .And most of us ,even if many aren’t big enough to admit it .Talk shite on  plenty of occasions .

1 hour ago, Gascoigne8 said:

His transfer dealings have been nothing short of awful and if he wasnt such a big name he would have been out on his arse long ago. 

When is this “long time ago” ?  Because a short time ago we were toe to toe with them cunts and we were top of the league. 

simple question actually that you’re going to struggle to get right. 

2 hours ago, Badger said:

I've said before, with the wage gap between us and them - we are only winning the league if we over perform, or they under perform.

Lets be honest a par score for this level of Rangers squad, over the season would be somewhere around the 85-90 point mark, we are on course to finish around the 90 point mark.  celtic are on course to finish on 103 pts, which would be the 2nd highest points tally since the league went to 38 games in 2000. Even a great Rangers side would struggle to match that, and indeed we have never broken 100 points with far better squads than this.

90 points would be enough to win the league  in 8 out of the last 20 seasons, and league winning Rangers sides (far better than this one), only amassed 90-95pts.

It isn't good enough, it isn't where I want Rangers to be..... but it is the harsh reality. We are still suffering badly from the events following Valentines Day 2012, and pissed seasons up the wall with McCoist, Murty and Caixinha at the helm, when we should have been preparing for now.  I will excuse Warburton to a point, as he improved us immediately but.... didn't kick on to the next required level (albeit had limited backing in taking a Championship side to the SPFL). 

Whilst I do not think there is much between Rangers best XI and Celtics best XI.

They have 2 big advantages:

• Superior squad depth
  • Winners mentality

If we lose a few players, it weakens us far more than it weakens them. Their 3rd choice striker for example, cost £4m. Ours was struggling to get a game at a bang average Hibs side. 

People will point to Gerrards transfer spend, but for much the same reason as Everton could match Liverpools transfer spend for 2- 3 seasons, and still nowhere near as good. celtic have an established core of quality, and any spend they make compliments it. Our spend is to the bring the core level up to the required standard. Our one big spend, Kent, isn't on form (and he doesn't improve us from last season, as he was here on loan). We need to be adding 1 or 2 players of quality each window, not loanees and squad filler. 

I don't know if Gerrard is the man to take us forward any more - I feel deep down that he may be nearing the plateau of taking us as far as he can, undoubtedly improving us. 

This in my opinion is spot on, I agree with all of this with the exception to the doubt over SG being the right man to take us forward. 

truth be told he has already taken us forward and now we are capable of beating them on a regular basis or at least completing. 

the next part of the progress is going to be to improve the consistency . I think people are quite rightly concerned as our form up to December had been solid and we are playing all the same teams again but struggling to win now. That’s two seasons in a row and feel that SG should get another season at least to sort it out. 

I agree with the squad depth and winning mentally 100%. We are seriously short of winners and it’s looking like our bargain basement signings such as Davis, Kamara. Arfield, Aribo, Jones, Stewart, and Defo (I am sure there are plenty more) to a degree are starting to show why they never cost much.

We all thought Kent was the answer and all believed he was the answer when he signed but is right off form just like the rest of the team. what’s happened to Tav I can’t remember the last time I saw him overlapping the mid field and hitting the byline. Our whole team is off at the moment and it’s up to SG and his team to figure it out. 

It’s certainly changing times for SG and the team and this slump in form will show us if he is up to the task or not. In challenging times we see the true strength of our characters and this will tell us all we need to know about our team. 

min my opinion SG needs another 2 transfer windows with some backing. He really needs to start buying quality over quality and hope it starts with a new center half and an enforcer in mid field (and Hagi lol)

21 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

When is this “long time ago” ?  Because a short time ago we were toe to toe with them cunts and we were top of the league. 

simple question actually that you’re going to struggle to get right. 

You can pinpoint the rot setting in for the 2 - 2 at Aberdeen but in reality on the 17th of Jan at home to the mighty Stranraer is when Gerrard should have known that his gameplan was flawed going forward. In the 10 games since then only Braga 3-2 has looked anything like a big result. Again in those 10 games, 3 games have seen us drop 9 points (Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and worst of all Hearts) .   So all in, the 8 league games since the break we have scored 10 goals to the oppositions 7. Not great reading im sure you would admit

3 minutes ago, Gascoigne8 said:

You can pinpoint the rot setting in for the 2 - 2 at Aberdeen but in reality on the 17th of Jan at home to the mighty Stranraer is when Gerrard should have known that his gameplan was flawed going forward. In the 10 games since then only Braga 3-2 has looked anything like a big result. Again in those 10 games, 3 games have seen us drop 9 points (Aberdeen, Kilmarnock and worst of all Hearts) .   So all in, the 8 league games since the break we have scored 10 goals to the oppositions 7. Not great reading im sure you would admit

So you are the actual definition of “fickle “.
 you would have got rid in January before the rot set in and when we were joint top of the league., all using your special powers of hindsight and future telling. 

OP just might be right. 

39 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Hypothetically, even if we had won all our games to date since the break, we would still be trailing the filth.

Their form has been nothing short of outstanding.

If I remember correctly we would have been 2 points behind with a game in hand, the fact that we are unable to apply any kind of pressure on them makes it a whole lot easier to be outstanding.

Just now, KeyserSoze said:

So you are the actual definition of “fickle “.
 you would have got rid in January before the rot set in and when we were joint top of the league., all using your special powers of hindsight and future telling. 

OP just might be right. 

A blind man could see we have been toiling the last 6 or 7 weeks and did nothing to change the set up.

Well i can tell you we are going to win fuck all under Gerrard. Hows that? Good enough a prediction for you? We are not even a good cup team under him, a poor second best that just about kept pace until January then blew the fuckin lot.   Under Caixinhia our last 10 league games were, 5 wins 3 draws 2 losses with 21 goals for and 14 against. We are not even troubling that stat at the moment. 

Fickle?? Not fickle mate, just not happy to play along with the gallant loser tag we seem to be happy to  accept these days.  If Gerrard cannae do it get him hunted and get someone else in pronto. No point waiting to see if it c9mes good while that other fuckin lot are running away with it 

54 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

I don’t think we have a good enough squad or team in the main tbh

That has been proved since Christmas .In a one off game .We could take our levels higher .Yet more often than not .The same players are being found wanting in many levels .

I think we showed in the old firm games and European games that we are as good as them. 

I don't have the answers but it seems to be more about mentality than actually ability.

So we are to just accept we can’t catch the Scum, because if it’s simply down to finance we aren’t going to get close to them ever. 

If that’s the case then we are simply a bigger version of Aberdeen Hearts Killie Hibs, we might win a cup now and again maybe once in awhile we might push the Scum close. 
Fuck our squad are playing like the 4 above at the moment, they go out and burst a gut against the better teams (same as the 4 above do to us) then cheat the fans with the usual league performance against the dross, and we simply shrug our shoulders and resign ourselves to the fact we are where we are. 

That’s not the Rangers I have watched all my life and if we just accept that then we might as well just chuck it and switch off the lights. 

21 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

That’s not the Rangers I have watched all my life and if we just accept that then we might as well just chuck it and switch off the lights. 

Totally agree mate. I naively still have the same expectations as always. If we go behind I expect us to fight and turn it around then either put the game to bed or at the very least hold on for the points.

Even if that's misplaced currently, I'll never lower my expectations for a Rangers team. 2nd place means fuck all for us and some of the players need that drummed into them a bit harder imo.

2 minutes ago, StaunchLondonGer said:

Totally agree mate. I naively still have the same expectations as always. If we go behind I expect us to fight and turn it around then either put the game to bed or at the very least hold on for the points.

Even if that's misplaced currently, I'll never lower my expectations for a Rangers team. 2nd place means fuck all for us and some of the players need that drummed into them a bit harder imo.

No. Gerrard needs to understand what we are about and continually picking underperforming dug shite and no plan B doesn't cut the mustard, but no worries, Tav's got it covered!

2 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Stevie also tried to justify his many signings by making a big play on saying we can now have squad rotation. Well, we're still waiting. Same faces every game barring injury or suspension. Same faces every game no matter how dug shite they are. Well unless it's pet fall guy Katic, who's been treated like dug shite.

New script and mirror needed for Stevie.

I have a bit of sympathy in the rotation aspect given that when he brings a player in they usually play shit a few weeks later or do something ridiculous.

It goes back to the fact that the signings he made were average players to fill out the squad, they weren't the quality players he himself said we needed. 

Completely agree on Katic though, aye he had an absolute disaster yesterday but you could name 8/9 players that have been like that since Christmas & hes not been publicly slaughtering them...fully expect that we wont see Katic again this season.

1 hour ago, Gascoigne8 said:

A blind man could see we have been toiling the last 6 or 7 weeks and did nothing to change the set up.

Well i can tell you we are going to win fuck all under Gerrard. Hows that? Good enough a prediction for you? We are not even a good cup team under him, a poor second best that just about kept pace until January then blew the fuckin lot.   Under Caixinhia our last 10 league games were, 5 wins 3 draws 2 losses with 21 goals for and 14 against. We are not even troubling that stat at the moment. 

Fickle?? Not fickle mate, just not happy to play along with the gallant loser tag we seem to be happy to  accept these days.  If Gerrard cannae do it get him hunted and get someone else in pronto. No point waiting to see if it c9mes good while that other fuckin lot are running away with it 

I posted earlier that in approximately 100 odd glorious years making us the most successful club in the world we used 16 managers. 
those managers averaged 8 seasons 

in the last ten barren years we’ve had more than half that number. A “rinse and repeat “ strategy that HAS to change. 

3 hours ago, Gascoigne8 said:

There are 600 reasons (and 141 for my boy) that i have the right to give my opinion on Gerrard and the club.  My opinion is Gerrard will never be a top manager, much like warburton there is no plan B and he fails to address the same issues week after week. 

His transfer dealings have been nothing short of awful and if he wasnt such a big name he would have been out on his arse long ago. celtic have been allowed to run riot since the winter break and in my opinion were there for the taking this season. In Lennon they have a basket case who could easily lose the plot if pressured, but no. We have a serial loser as our captain, two centre halfs who cant do the basics, 3 right wingers who are so poor Gerrard would rather play aribo/arfield out of position rather than give a game.  This season much like last is a story of missed opportunitys and missed chances. The longer Gerrard stays the futher away our chances of stopping their 10 are. 

We did pressure them we were 2 points behind with a game in hand they have won every game since 

I would say that we are demanding more than fickle. 

Our loss of form has been shocking without a doubt. Players like Katic seem like a shadow of their former selves. 

Then again without going into to the reason why we have undoubtedly been on the wrong side of quite a few refereeing decisions whilst they have profited from them. We would be a lot closer in the league and maybe even have a trophy in the cabinet without that.

Still that doesn't excuse the fact that we are struggling to string passes together or the amount of stupid individual mistakes that we are making. 

Last couple of games we have changed tactics during the match and it has worked for us so no idea why we haven't done it before. To say it is frustrating is an understatement. 

The fact that we are where we are in Europe shows that we have improved. We need to keep that form going in the league that is our bread and butter. We need to convert a lot more of the chances created and not rely on one player to score for us.

We have improved under Gerard but we need to continue to improve and most of all gain consistency. He needs to get the team to step up another level or two or he will be gone. He will get next season but if he doesn't manage a sustained challenge then then he will be gone.

He will have to do it with these players as well because if we sign Hagi and have another installment to pay on Kent then that will be most of our transfer budget gone. We can't afford to make wholesale changes so we are stuck with what we have got.

celtic are about to win 9-IN-A-ROW.  Next year they'll be going for the 10.  Is it fickle to demand our team stop them?  We were perfectly positioned before the winter break and have completely shat the bed since then.  The manager doesn't seem able or willing to change the system that obviously isn't working at the moment.  There's also players underperforming but we're not seeing any real change in personnel.  

Archived