What do we need to do between now and the summer

As it currently stands the league is looking a tough task. We have the potential to knockout Braga on Wednesday and maybe best case navigate another couple of rounds (being optimistic) which then leaves the Scottish Cup as the only option for silverware and the sole justification of our season.

I would imagine Gerrard getting removed is unlikely now or in the summer as we have invested in his long term vision but it’s obvious that he is blinded to his and some of the teams failings and refuses to change things to impact games.

So how do we go about ensuring we are better next season in the league to stop celtic, the only change I can see is better players and hopefully mentally stronger players who can cope with the demands.

McGregor - Continues to be No.1

Wes - Time to move on

Tavernier - Time to sell? Not a winner? Tough to replace as lack of decent attacking wing back?

Polster - Jury out/not played enough

Goldson - Good for periods then inconsistent? Keep or cash in?

Katic - Generally decent, young enough to improve, should/shouldn’t start each week?

Edmundson - Looks strong/quick hasn’t played enough for me

Helander - Slow but I think we are missing him currently

Barisic - Regular LB

Flanagan - Sell on/release if contract up

Halliday - Sell on/release if contract up

Jack - Starts every game

Kamara - Still a bargain but getting caught out more domestically/cash in?

Davis - Influential but needs to be driving team more 

Aribo - Getting better, still out muscled but long term has a lot to offer

Arfield - Hot and cold for me but still has a contribution to make

Hagi - At £5million looks an investment long term

Jones - Massively disappointed - Sell on

Barker - Looks a strange acquisition - Sell on

Kent - Long term contribution but needs to up his game currently and score more

Morelos - Might be time to cash in. Love the wee guy though/Build a team around him?

Defoe - Has goals to offer but should be used as an impact player/needs another striker beside him to be effective?

Kamberi - Looks like he realises the opportunity he has - I’d gamble as a little different to what we have

Stewart - Has impacted/scored when involved but not played enough

The squad isn’t that far away from being where we need it to be but defensively we still have issues - No LB cover, no settled starting CB pairing, is Polster good enough to fill in for Tavernier. The midfield don’t score enough goals consistently and we are light in the striker department.

I know it’s only my own thoughts but Gerrard needs to decide who’s good enough and who’s not up for the battle!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Super Ally Scores Again! said:

As it currently stands the league is looking a tough task. We have the potential to knockout Braga on Wednesday and maybe best case navigate another couple of rounds (being optimistic) which then leaves the Scottish Cup as the only option for silverware and the sole justification of our season.

I would imagine Gerrard getting removed is unlikely now or in the summer as we have invested in his long term vision but it’s obvious that he is blinded to his and some of the teams failings and refuses to change things to impact games.

So how do we go about ensuring we are better next season in the league to stop celtic, the only change I can see is better players and hopefully mentally stronger players who can cope with the demands.

McGregor - Continues to be No.1

Wes - Time to move on

Tavernier - Time to sell? Not a winner? Tough to replace as lack of decent attacking wing back?

Polster - Jury out/not played enough

Goldson - Good for periods then inconsistent? Keep or cash in?

Katic - Generally decent, young enough to improve, should/shouldn’t start each week?

Edmundson - Looks strong/quick hasn’t played enough for me

Helander - Slow but I think we are missing him currently

Barisic - Regular LB

Flanagan - Sell on/release if contract up

Halliday - Sell on/release if contract up

Jack - Starts every game

Kamara - Still a bargain but getting caught out more domestically/cash in?

Davis - Influential but needs to be driving team more 

Aribo - Getting better, still out muscled but long term has a lot to offer

Arfield - Hot and cold for me but still has a contribution to make

Hagi - At £5million looks an investment long term

Jones - Massively disappointed - Sell on

Barker - Looks a strange acquisition - Sell on

Kent - Long term contribution but needs to up his game currently and score more

Morelos - Might be time to cash in. Love the wee guy though/Build a team around him?

Defoe - Has goals to offer but should be used as an impact player/needs another striker beside him to be effective?

Kamberi - Looks like he realises the opportunity he has - I’d gamble as a little different to what we have

Stewart - Has impacted/scored when involved but not played enough

The squad isn’t that far away from being where we need it to be but defensively we still have issues - No LB cover, no settled starting CB pairing, is Polster good enough to fill in for Tavernier. The midfield don’t score enough goals consistently and we are light in the striker department.

I know it’s only my own thoughts but Gerrard needs to decide who’s good enough and who’s not up for the battle!

A tough task is putting it kindly.

And another couple of rounds after Braga is the semi final. I know you said you were being optimistic but could better describe it as being wholly unrealistic.

Highlighted the ones I'd definitely like us to keep. Anyone else can go if there's decent money on the table.

Gerrard should give some of the fringe players a proper run in the team.  Let’s see what they can do.  Edmundson, Kamberi, Stewart, even young Patterson.  I’d say Jones but it looks like he’s been completely bombed out.  

Try some different formations.  Try to be more attacking.  Experiment a little.

4 minutes ago, Amato said:

A tough task is putting it kindly.

And another couple of rounds after Braga is the semi final. I know you said you were being optimistic but could better describe it as being wholly unrealistic.

Highlighted the ones I'd definitely like us to keep. Anyone else can go if there's decent money on the table.

Your probably right about progressing to much further in the Europa League

Wouldnt disagree to much with your choices or let’s others leave for cash

5 minutes ago, TMB said:

Gerrard should give some of the fringe players a proper run in the team.  Let’s see what they can do.  Edmundson, Kamberi, Stewart, even young Patterson.  I’d say Jones but it looks like he’s been completely bombed out.  

Try some different formations.  Try to be more attacking.  Experiment a little.

I think we definitely need to be more attacking, Morelos through the middle every game ends up being isolated and when half the teams park the bus do we need 2CB’s and a holding midfielder to look after 1 opposition striker and the odd break away?

Winning the Scottish Cup would get a huge monkey off our back and set us up nicely for next season. Beating Braga would obviously be fantastic and would be a good financial boost.

Next season is our last chance, we've fucked this year up spectacularly in the space of a month  but it’s unfair to discount a very impressive first half of the season that would have seen us ahead by a few points almost any other season. The tims have only dropped points in two games aside from the OF in December which is incredibly difficult to compete with as painful as it is to say and that has magnified any slip up we’ve made this season.

They have won this year through strength in depth, we have a very strong first 11 when everyone is fit but we have to downgrade massively when anyone is out and you can’t rely on that 11 for en entire season which probably shows why we have just ran out of steam in January two years running. If we sort out depth in quality then it’s game on next season. Kent, Morelos, Goldson and a couple of others who have rightfully got stick the past few weeks aren’t shit, we just need good enough players to step up when they aren’t at it.

This season the scottish cup has become massive. Manager needs to show he can his side across the line.  It then gives him something to build off. 

In the summer we need serious changes in the sqaud imo.  We need at least 4 quality players that can go straight into the first team and improve it right away.  Knocking some down into the backup/squad options for depth. Midfield would be my priority. We need at least 2 forward thinking midfielders that can move the ball quickly and able to pick a pass. Our current midfield is too slow and lacks creativity. 

're winning the league next year

I believe it was ex Spurs manager David Pleat who said that when he first met players he straightaway marked them as winners or losers.  

How many of our current team could be described as winners?  Not many.

I just want to win the next game then the next game after that and so on and then reevaluate at the end of the season.

We might end up with 95 points and still not win the league. Some see that as success, others don't. (I don't)

All I want right now is for players to keep giving 100% and for fans to never give up.

For me it’s time to drop Kent and go two up top and see how that works. 

same for the Braga game there is zero chance of us not conceding a goal so we will need to score at least two. I would just go and attack with two up top (Kamberi and Stewart) and push for goals as there defence was as bad as ours. I feel SG will play for the draw or a 1 - 0 victory and that we will be put out. Or he won’t change it until 80th min and by then it will be too late 

Is it not normally another month or so before we have these threads? We have had the same type of threads for the last few seasons with the majority happy to cash in on Tav and no surprise there have been no bites for him.

With him coming up to 29 there will be no interest in a guy who has a contract for another 2 years.

We will not get rid of the rest of them unless we yet again pay some of them of off and with the main assets being Morelos and Barasic what bids if any will we get for them?

Our only hope of silverware left is the Scottish cup which frankly we have as much chance of winning as the sheep do. We are reliant on our players not bottling it before the final and depending who we got there not doing the same.

12 hours ago, roger9650 said:

're winning the league next year

I believe it was ex Spurs manager David Pleat who said that when he first met players he straightaway marked them as winners or losers.  

How many of our current team could be described as winners?  Not many.

Here is a list of trophies David Pleat won as manager:

Archived