Gerrard on the brink

Mor3los_1

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Almost 2 full seasons and lessons aren’t being learned.

Will never win anything when you see that record if massive improvements aren’t on the horizon.

True.

I'm assuming this season is better than last which is important for some context, but obviously if it doesn't improve further still and the scum's remains the same you're spot on.

20 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I think you're right about that. Psychologically, the likes of Tav but all of them essentially would have massively benefited from winning that league cup final. 

You obviously will never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if we'd have won that final we'd be sitting prettier in the league than we are right now.

With all that said, I think some supporters are putting too much emphasis on winning one of the cups. The European run has been far more important (financially, attracting players and attention to the club etc.), and impressive and in terms of the teams beaten, than if we'd have been turfed out by Legia but managed to win either the league cup or Scottish cup.

People keep on saying 'he had to win a trophy' as if winning the league cup or scottish cup but going out of Europe early, and consistently being given hammerings in the league by the scum, would be preferable to where we're currently at and for me that's complete nonsense.

Nobody mentioned being hammered by the tarriers, however people are using his Europe record as defence for his shambolic domestic record

We can stay competitive in scotland, have a trophy maybe two, and then build from that

4 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Will never win anything when you see that record if massive improvements aren’t on the horizon.

3 or 4 quality players in this summer and we’ll be a much improved side.  I think one of the major issues we had is that the number 10s weren’t contributing enough goals.  So when Morelos was suspended or out of form the goals dried up.  Hagi looks a proper number 10 another one like him, a box-to-box midfielder who can score goals, another quality strike in option.  We can turn the points dropped in 3 or 4 games in to wins and be competing.  It’s very fine margins.  

Just now, TMB said:

3 or 4 quality players in this summer and we’ll be a much improved side.  I think one of the major issues we had is that the number 10s weren’t contributing enough goals.  So when Morelos was suspended or out of form the goals dried up.  Hagi looks a proper number 10 another one like him, a box-to-box midfielder who can score goals, another quality strike in option.  We can turn the points dropped in 3 or 4 games in to wins and be competing.  It’s very fine margins.  

We have the quality to beat these teams, we just need to alter things if our gameplan isnt working

5 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

True.

I'm assuming this season is better than last which is important for some context, but obviously if it doesn't improve further still and the scum's remains the same you're spot on.

18/19 season

Wins 8

Draws 8

Losses 5

19/20

Wins 8

Draws 3

Losses 3

This season was going great until the return from the winter break. Then it’s went back to last season form.

I must have counted my original stats wrong because there is one more draw. It’s 11 draws all in instead of 10.

Sometimes I don’t even think it’s or lack of quality (although we need more of that too) that costs us in these games, it’s the lack of heart and willingness to battle that does. If we had a few more players who would do that it would allow the talented flair players - the Hagi’s, Kent’s, Aribo’s - to focus on going and winning us the game.

Thats where guys like Kamara, Davis and even Jack at times let us down. They’ve got enough SPFL experience to know how to win the battle in these games that we keep dropping points in and they don’t do it.

I keep going back to him but look at every single Smith side, it had players who were nowhere near the ability of some of their teammates, but those guys weren’t in the side to win us the game, they were there to build the platform that let the better players go and win us the game and that’s severely lacking in our side atm because Gerrard and Beale seem to want everybody to be technicians who can keep possession all day.

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Sometimes I don’t even think it’s or lack of quality (although we need more of that too) that costs us in these games, it’s the lack of heart and willingness to battle that does. If we had a few more players who would do that it would allow the talented flair players - the Hagi’s, Kent’s, Aribo’s - to focus on going and winning us the game.

Thats where guys like Kamara, Davis and even Jack at times let us down. They’ve got enough SPFL experience to know how to win the battle in these games that we keep dropping points in and they don’t do it.

I keep going back to him but look at every single Smith side, it had players who were nowhere near the ability of some of their teammates, but those guys weren’t in the side to win us the game, they were there to build the platform that let the better players go and win us the game and that’s severely lacking in our side atm because Gerrard and Beale seem to want everybody to be technicians who can keep possession all day.

It’s definitely not ability that’s the problem.

Example being if you look at the Hearts game on Saturday.

How many of that Hearts team would make our starting 11? 

For me based on ability it’s none but if you look at the commitment and effort then their whole team were better than ours.

Hard work is absolutely key to every team sport. A lot of our players don’t want to know.

4 minutes ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

It’s definitely not ability that’s the problem.

Example being if you look at the Hearts game on Saturday.

How many of that Hearts team would make our starting 11? 

For me based on ability it’s none but if you look at the commitment and effort then their whole team were better than ours.

Hard work is absolutely key to every team sport. A lot of our players don’t want to know.

Usually, for a team that gets a good result against us, they went & replicated it last night.

We’ve got to earn the right to play.

Too many taking the easy option.

1 minute ago, HG5 said:

Usually, for a team that gets a good result against us, they went & replicated it last night.

We’ve got to earn the right to play.

Too many taking the easy option.

Spot on 👍

I was shocked Hearts won last night because usually when any of these teams beat us they go through the motions in the next game. 

Spot on 👍

I was shocked Hearts won last night because usually when any of these teams beat us they go through the motions in the next game. 

Agree with you here, albeit we had the team to beat them and it was a poor performance, I thought Hearts performance was not that of a ream who were sitting at the bottom of the league and last night was again a deserved victory...

Spot on 👍

Can extend to half a dozen or more.

I used to think that these diddy teams took too much out of themselves, raising it to beat us, then thought they’d made it when they did - a combination of over-exertion matched with over-confidence.

I’d like to think we’re above that, and you’d think the winter break would help, but our slumps this year & last have followed us putting one over on the beggars.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Says the guy that is actually happy with that too if it meant completely fucking the league to win europa league.

Talk about hypocrisy 😂

Comparing winning the europa league to not winning it

See the difference in my scenario is that WE LIFT A TROPHY

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Comparing winning the europa league to not winning it

See the difference in my scenario is that WE LIFT A TROPHY

What you're actually doing is covering all bases to suit your arguments.

We win it, you say you wanted that above everything all along. We don't, you get to be all critical saying europe is irrelevant and youd rather we had went out to Braga.

Given we're still in it, its 2 contradictory views but hey, you're nothing if not contradictory these days.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

What you're actually doing is covering all bases to suit your arguments.

We win it, you say you wanted that above everything all along. We don't, you get to be all critical saying europe is irrelevant and youd rather we had went out to Braga.

Given we're still in it, its 2 contradictory views but hey, you're nothing if not contradictory these days.

Of course i want a european trophy above everything else, its the one thing ive never seen us lift, but im realistic to know we wont win it, hence why i say that putting european progress above domestic trophy success is shite

Its very simple, we wont win the europa league gue this year, so id rather swap one round further progress for one guaranteed trophy and still in the other

See what i mean? 

Archived