Has there ever been a Rangers team with less heart

Dave Hedgehog

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Eck’s final season, which this is sadly beginning to resemble, was just as bad, if not worse. That was a horrific season given where we’d been the previous year.

The same season he got us to the CL last 16 and only went out on away goals? The season where the players knew he was leaving long before the season finished

Absolutely no comparison, 

29 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

If people want to make these overdramatic threads about how this is the worst and most heartless team ever then that’s fine but at least sleep on it first before stating it because it isn’t even close to being any of those things.

We had a team a few years ago that finished third in the Championship, lost 6-1 to Motherwell in the play offs and conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes to blow a 2 goal lead to Alloa in the Challenge Cup. That’s as bad as it gets.

That same championship team was costing 24mill in wages and cost the best part of 20mill to assemble

The championship team was full of jobbers, the OP is clearly meaning top flight teams, 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The same season he got us to the CL last 16 and only went out on away goals? The season where the players knew he was leaving long before the season finished

Absolutely no comparison, 

Disagree, as do a number of others on here. Our domestic season fell apart big time that year. Similar to now so yes, there is a comparison.

How you can even say ‘Absolutely no comparison’ is just over-exaggerating, churlish nonsense.

25 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Lost to Stirling Albion when they were bottom of the third division and they didn’t have their manager there because he was getting married that day.

Fuck me id somehow managed to erase that from memory and I was there that day 

27 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

They’ll be Eck fans along soon to defend it but the parallels to this season are very similar.

On what way, eck probably spent less than gerrard has, and was chased for less

What i wouldnt give for someone like him in charge the now, for a start tav wouldnt be here nevermind our captain, and we certainly wouldn't be watching half hearted shite like today

8 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Can anyone name five players you would build the team around next year because it's hard? 

Barisic, Edmundson, Jack, Hagi , McGregor I suppose?

Team can't be built around players who were already part of a losers team. Need a complete new set of players. You'd think we would know better with the shining example our current captain  is.

The way Advocaat and Smith 2nd time around is how teams should be built.

The one player who annoyed me the most today was Joe Aribo. I actually don't think he is a very good football player. Maybe on a playground but not on Scottish football park. He lacks heart (passion). Although Tav fucked up for the goal, Aribo's headers that led to it was diabolical.

1 minute ago, BearInTheToon said:

Disagree, as do a number of others on here. Our domestic season fell apart big time that year. Similar to now so yes, there is a comparison.

How you can even say ‘Absolutely no comparison’ is just over-exaggerating, churlish nonsense.

Because, just like the 10iar season, eck announcing his departure way before season end had a detrimental effect, we were out the league before xmas, we didnt collapse, we were just shite all season bar europe

The collapse this season can be laid mostly at gerrards door, the signs were in the stranraer game that his tactics were sussed out

2 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Team can't be built around players who were already part of a losers team. Need a complete new set of players. You'd think we would know better with the shining example our current captain  is.

The way Advocaat and Smith 2nd time around is how teams should be built.

Except eck proved you can do it, 5 trophies in 18 months with wee dicks loser team

38 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

On what way, eck probably spent less than gerrard has, and was chased for less

What i wouldnt give for someone like him in charge the now, for a start tav wouldnt be here nevermind our captain, and we certainly wouldn't be watching half hearted shite like today

Eck undeniably did well in Europe that season but he was shite domestically and it cost him his job.

He finished 3rd in a two horse race (18 points behind celtic), knocked out in the quarter finals of the League Cup, knocked out in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup and we went 10 games during the season (long before his end of season departure was announced) without a win.

I know you like Eck and defend him all the time (and you are going to try and do it in reply to this post) but if Gerrard delivered a domestic season like that you would be the first one lining up to want him out the door. You are one of the main ones wanting Gerrard out the door now and for as bad as we have been his domestic record this season still anywhere near as bad as McLeish’s domestic record was in 05-06.

Just now, DBBTB said:

Eck undeniably did well in Europe that season but he was shite domestically and it cost him his job.

He finished 3rd in a two horse race (18 points behind celtic), knocked out in the quarter finals of the League Cup, knocked out in the 4th round of the Scottish Cup and we went 10 games during the season without a win.

I know you like Eck and defend him all the time but if Gerrard delivered a domestic season like that you would be the first one lining up to want him out the door. You are one of the main ones wanting him out the door now and for as bad as we have been his domestic record this season still isn’t as bad as McLeish’s domestic record was in 05-06.

Yeah i like eck, probably because he won 7 trophies in his time here, while facing probably the most difficult financial challenges a manager has ever faced for us, 

And his final season, yeah he finished 3rd, meant fuck all really, 2nd or 3rs is the same in scotland, still pish, but the effect lf him announcing his departure mid season is easy to see

What got my goat was fans lambasting him for his ten games without a win, that did include. CL group games, that we got to the last 16 in

Fact is eck brought in way more money than gerrard ever will to the club, nevermind his transfer profit, but 2 CL campaigns, all the while stripping back the team consistently, he deserved way better

Gerrard deserves fuck all, he's making the same mistakes weekly, spent a fucking fortune, and we are no better off domestically than under pedro 

1 hour ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Than this current team? 

Lack of ability can be overcome.

Lack of heart and fight can’t.

Im 46 and I don’t recall a Rangers team so lacking in fight. 

Its harder to take than simple lack of talent.

Plenty of Rangers teams in the last four years, I could name them but it'd probably tip me towards taking the toaster for a 2am bath

We're shitebag bottle merchants, have been for years and that mentality isn't fixed quickly, no unless you empty everybody and start again, the problem is Gerrard brought guys like McGregor and Davis back to install that winning mentality into the rest but they've ended up soaking up the rest of the squads loser mentality

3 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Didn't we lose six or seven games on the trot against them as well at that time under McLeish? 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Couple seasons before

Yup, we lost all old firm games the season he had to dismantle a treble winning team while the tarriers were probably at their best since the early 70's, 

1 minute ago, NixonRFC said:

Plenty of Rangers teams in the last four years, I could name them but it'd probably tip me towards taking the toaster for a 2am bath

We're shitebag bottle merchants, have been for years and that mentality isn't fixed quickly, no unless you empty everybody and start again, the problem is Gerrard brought guys like McGregor and Davis back to install that winning mentality into the rest but they've ended up soaking up the rest of the squads loser mentality

Davis was always a loser, he just got carried by winners under walter, it showed under mccoist when he was captain, probably our second worst top flight captain after tav tbh

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Yup, we lost all old firm games the season he had to dismantle a treble winning team while the tarriers were probably at their best since the early 70's, 

They were at their best during our treble season and the year before, imo. 

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Yeah i like eck, probably because he won 7 trophies in his time here, while facing probably the most difficult financial challenges a manager has ever faced for us, 

And his final season, yeah he finished 3rd, meant fuck all really, 2nd or 3rs is the same in scotland, still pish, but the effect lf him announcing his departure mid season is easy to see

What got my goat was fans lambasting him for his ten games without a win, that did include. CL group games, that we got to the last 16 in

Fact is eck brought in way more money than gerrard ever will to the club, nevermind his transfer profit, but 2 CL campaigns, all the while stripping back the team consistently, he deserved way better

Gerrard deserves fuck all, he's making the same mistakes weekly, spent a fucking fortune, and we are no better off domestically than under pedro 

Dress it up however you want, the similarities in the two seasons are still there.

Both did well in Europe but both did shit domestically in the seasons we were comparing and doing well domestically is a must because it’s our bread and butter.

Doing poor domestically cost Eck his job and it might still cost Gerrard his job.

2 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Than this current team? 

Lack of ability can be overcome.

Lack of heart and fight can’t.

Im 46 and I don’t recall a Rangers team so lacking in fight. 

Its harder to take than simple lack of talent.

Advocaats last season was a prime example 

2 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Dress it up however you want, the similarities in the two seasons are still there.

Both did well in Europe but both did shit domestically in the seasons we were comparing and doing well domestically is a must because it’s our bread and butter.

Doing poor domestically cost Eck his job and it might still cost Gerrard his job.

The similarities only apply to Europe, domestically we were poor before the weans went trick or treating, they just were shite that season

Gerrard has watched a collapse of epic proportions, and has tried nothing to change it, thats the difference, fuck we all seen it coming in January 

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

If people want to make these overdramatic threads about how this is the worst and most heartless team ever then that’s fine but at least sleep on it first before stating it because it isn’t even close to being any of those things.

We had a team a few years ago that finished third in the Championship, lost 6-1 to Motherwell in the play offs and conceded 3 goals in 20 minutes to blow a 2 goal lead to Alloa in the Challenge Cup. That’s as bad as it gets.

Ooooooh perspective 

Archived