Four four fucking two

Archaic or not, old-fashioned i couldnt give a shit, we are in a backwater footballing country who think humping 60 yard mortar bombs is good football

What i wouldnt give to see us try the 442, no fancy flying fullback, just a backline told to keep the ball out our net, two wide mids, hell even wingers, taking a man on and driving into the box, one worker bastard in the middle who'll cover the park breaking up everything and one intelligent bastard who can see the runs the strikers will make and find them

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Archaic or not, old-fashioned i couldnt give a shit, we are in a backwater footballing country who think humping 60 yard mortar bombs is good football

What i wouldnt give to see us try the 442, no fancy flying fullback, just a backline told to keep the ball out our net, two wide mids, hell even wingers, taking a man on and driving into the box, one worker bastard in the middle who'll cover the park breaking up everything and one intelligent bastard who can see the runs the strikers will make and find them

I honestly think Man City manager would struggle to adapt to our cow pat style of football .No wonder our teams don’t qualify for next rounds in Europe nowadays 

That is at least one thing SG has got right .Yet we get suckered into thinking that style works here .It doesn’t and few managers have tried and failed 

A big man up front will always be an option in our game .Even if it fails sometimes and can be turgid to watch .

Its always going to be physical so our slick passing has to be like Man Cities .And it’s nowhere near the same level 

Modern coaches and video analysts are a big part of the problem, they have to justify their jobs, and sound good, so go into elaborate tactical detail that just really isn't needed in this league. The players end up not knowing arse before elbow and very confused.

Keep it simple.

30 minutes ago, The Ibrox Derry said:

Modern coaches and video analysts are a big part of the problem, they have to justify their jobs, and sound good, so go into elaborate tactical detail that just really isn't needed in this league. The players end up not knowing arse before elbow and very confused.

Keep it simple.

I said it after the st johnstone game, our setup is arse from elbow, we start an attack with

Back 4, 3 centre mids, two number 10's and a striker, what our attack is based on is... 

The fullback bombing down the wing, getting the ball and creating something, so one of your back 4 has now to be the most advanced attacking player

Because of that, your midfield generals need to cover him, jack usually, rather than have jacks energy and steel in the middle he's got to move out to fullback, 

Because of that, your most talented attacking players, the number 10's need to become your midfield generals

And that's if the attack works and the guys have a chance to get into position, if not you end up with gaping holes everywhere 

14 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

There’s a reason no one plays 4-4-2 anymore. 

same reason nobody wears bell bottoms....

It’s out of fashion. 

guaranteed at some point somewhere someone will revert back to it and be hugely successful.

everyone will then jump on the bandwagon.

11 minutes ago, Creampuff said:

There’s a reason no one plays 4-4-2 anymore. 

See i keep hearing this without any sort of reason.  Going by current situation is there not a reason why Rangers should not play 433 anymore.?

Its all pish. Its eleven against eleven ffs. 

16 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

See i keep hearing this without any sort of reason.  Going by current situation is there not a reason why Rangers should not play 433 anymore.?

Spot on, I’ve argued for 3-5-2 against teams that park the bus. But Hearts never parked the bus yesterday they did to us what we did to Braga, worked hard well organised and when they didn’t have the ball defended well and fought like fuck to get it back. 

The problem isn’t the formation as such it’s about adapting and Gerrard is struggling to do that.

There was no issue with 433 when we were winning pre winter break and actually playing some really good entertaining football.

Dunno what the issue is now in terms of teams know how to play against us or the players lack motivation.

Morelos is key to playing the 1 up top and he’s been awful so I think that could be it.

None of our other strikers suit that role so a change of tactics to fit who we have should be looked at.

8 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

Athletico Madrid play 442 under Simeone (he does mix it up in game but  442 is the basis for his teams)

Leicester City played 442 when they won the EPL.

Seems simplicity is frowned apon these days.

When things ain’t working, there is nowt wrong with going back to basics, especially in the SPFL where you aren’t trying to outwit any tactical  geniuses.

Of course, it would help enormously if we actually had two strikers who could play together, and preferably one being a big imposing fucker, in a 442 formation.

Like the last thread you made about formations I repeat, formation isn't the issue. Its more to do with what goes on between the players ears and in the middle of their chest.

Hearts wanted that more than us yesterday right up until the final whistle. They were closing us down all game and we had to match that but we didn't.

All the formation tinkering in the world won't help us when the players look uninterested and lack the balls to take the game by the scruff of the neck. 

Folk getting fixated on a formation and that is causing all our problems. 
It’s not, it’s the players plain and simple, when you can play the way we did against Braga and the Scum but can’t be arsed to turn up against Hearts,Killie,Aberdeen, St Johnstone then it’s fairly clear they are cheating us, the manager and the club. 
Problem is we don’t have the cash to gut that squad to the extent it needs gutted. 

1 minute ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Folk getting fixated on a formation and that is causing all our problems. 
It’s not, it’s the players plain and simple, when you can play the way we did against Braga and the Scum but can’t be arsed to turn up against Hearts,Killie,Aberdeen, St Johnstone then it’s fairly clear they are cheating us, the manager and the club. 
Problem is we don’t have the cash to gut that squad to the extent it needs gutted. 

There is  no fucking hope for u. There really isnt. U dont understand how opposition  is different in europe from here ffs.

8 minutes ago, crazy bob swollenbaws said:

There is  no fucking hope for u. There really isnt. U dont understand how opposition  is different in europe from here ffs.

What is different?? 

Do the Euro teams not work as hard as the dross in Scottish football??

Have they not worked out how to play against a 4-3-3 but the dross of Scottish football has?? 

Do the dross here simply have better players than  Porto Feyenoord Braga etc etc?? 

Or is it the fact we have never failed to turn up for a Euro game ever under Gerrard and when we do get beat it’s simply because they are the better team. 

2 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

What is different?? 

Do the Euro teams not work as hard as a dross in Scottish football??

Have they not worked out how to play against a 4-3-3 but the dross of Scottish football has?? 

Do the dross here simply have better players than  Porto Feyenoord Braga etc etc?? 

Or is it the fact we have never failed to turn up for a Euro game ever under Gerrard and when we do get beat it’s simply because they are the better team. 

Look at our goal in braga, how often do you see scottish teams playing such a high line against us, they dont because they know we will crucify them if they do

2 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I'm for 442 in league games and keeping 433 for European games.

I think Rangers should adopt a two team strategy. one focusing for success in the league, the other focusing for success in Europe.

I’d chuck in 352 for the SPFL too.

Just now, Jimbeamjunior said:

Look at our goal in braga, how often do you see scottish teams playing such a high line against us, they dont because they know we will crucify them if they do

So that’s it that’s your entire argument, a team playing at home pushing for the goal they need to go through. 
The flip side of that would be when do you see us stand of a team the way we did against Braga and invite them onto us. 

Looking at your logic we should never beat a team that comes and sits in against us as the formation can’t beat it. Oh wait the formation has beat that tactic well enough when the team can arsed to work hard. 

Archived