Has there ever been a weaker captain

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

That's ultimately up to the manager and press officer. If they say no, then it's a no. Player can stamp their feet all they want and demand they get to speak, if it's not who the club wants speaking to the press, they don't speak to them.

Which must lead to the belief that Gerrard and the press officer had zero confidence in the captain to offer an explanation or defence of that display last night. I have zero confidence in Tavernier and he needs relieved of the captaincy.  Problem is I don't know who can take on the responsibility and drive others on. We have no real leaders unfortunately when teams of the past had many besides the man wearing the armband.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, badjon said:

Which must lead to the belief that Gerrard and the press officer had zero confidence in the captain to offer an explanation or defence of that display last night. I have zero confidence in Tavernier and he needs relieved of the captaincy.  Problem is I don't know who can take on the responsibility and drive others on. We have no real leaders unfortunately when teams of the past had many besides the man wearing the armband.

Or they were avoiding the inevitable backlash that comes when Tav is put in front of the media. You just need to look at how little the club has put out since FT last night to see they are avoiding putting stuff out so fans don't fire back at them.

They also had him out for one of the games recently (post Hearts I think), and clubs rarely put the same player out twice in short order unless they have been specifically requested. I've even had a club PR guy refuse a player request after scoring the winner because he'd done post-match the previous week.

7 minutes ago, badjon said:

Doesn't look good mind you when your captain is getting interviewed holding six toilet rolls and a giant pamper.

8 minutes ago, badjon said:

It leads you to believe that, because that’s what you want to believe.  The Dude just told you the player may have wanted to do the press conference but was unable.  You have no idea what Gerrard thinks of the player or how much confidence he has in him.

Just now, TMB said:

It leads you to believe that, because that’s what you want to believe.  The Dude just told you the player may have wanted to do the press conference but was unable.  You have no idea what Gerrard thinks of the player or how much confidence he has in him.

What baffles me most is the assumptions people jump to about pressers without the slightest idea of how they actually operate.

There's normally no hidden meanings behind why players do or don't go out and it's often as simple as who the media think will provide a better headline.

5 minutes ago, TMB said:

Okay fair point but thats what forums are for. Barely posted last night as I was so incensed by that performance and the lack of want and willingness. 

23 minutes ago, teddybear1975 said:

Somebody else mentioned when Tav was substituted there was no handshake or words with Gerrard.I saw that at the time aswell and thought that was quite telling.  Mayb reading too much into it but did think something wasn't right between them.

Banned.

1 hour ago, Mr Soprano said:

:lol:

An absolute warrior compared to that fucking prick we have just now.

1C29D953-24AB-4F13-9153-1903F8D3EC5B.thumb.jpeg.1d29c21113911fd8d2616f53faec9817.jpeg

There’s yer captain :lol:

I’d love to say I can’t believe he said it.  But for it to be printed?  Holy Jamolie man.

Imagine Walter Smith reading that from his captain!  Or Souness. :lol: 

14 minutes ago, GazzasOrangeFlute said:

Or we could just keep Tav the captain and win the Europa this year? 

Tav should be moved on in the summer along with a few others. 

A captain is irrelevant. Great captains are only that because of the guys around them and winning stuff. 

it’s tokenistic that’s all. Every player we have should not be relying on one guy to gee them on. 

Just now, Moody Blue Legend said:

I’d love to say I can’t believe he said it.  But for it to be printed?  Holy Jamolie man.

Imagine Walter Smith reading that from his captain!  Or Souness. :lol: 

Walter wouldn't let it happen in the first place. He wouldn't be his captain either.

1 minute ago, KeyserSoze said:

Tav should be moved on in the summer along with a few others. 

A captain is irrelevant. Great captains are only that because of the guys around them and winning stuff. 

it’s tokenistic that’s all. Every player we have should not be relying on one guy to gee them on. 

Mutual Termination his arse now if he agrees to one or get him punted for what ever anyone is willing to pay. Guys a fucking fraud.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Walter appointed Laudrup as his captain ffs.

Anyone in that squad would've been a better captain than Tav is now. Didnt mind Laudrup being captain as theres 2 ways of acting captain, by speaking or showing you lead by example.

1 hour ago, Zappa6995 said:

Right I get that, so who decides its Andy Halliday, a guy who never got on, to go and do a press conference about a game he could do nothing about even if he wanted to, seems like a pile of shite to me.

He was sent out as he is seen as Mr Rangers the local lad come good. 
Cowardly as fuck by the management or whoever picked him. 

Archived