Gerrard backing Goldson

Escobar

14 minutes ago, TMB said:

Most celtic fans criticise Gerrard for throwing players under the bus.  Here he’s showing support for one of his players after a mistake and the support want him sacked.  Dammed if he does, dammed if he doesn’t.  

When the fans have turned on him no answer will ever be the right one and I think we’ve reached that point.  

Problem is he doesn't show that level of support to others. 

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, say Matt Polster played instead of Davis on Wednesday night and turned in that performance. 

I firmly believe Gerrard would’ve went through him in his post match interview, whereas he states Davis played well😂

See if you are midfielder or a winger, or whatever watching that get served up from the sidelines knowing if it was you, you’d be torn to shreds publicly why the fuck would you even want to play for a manager that acts like that? 

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Btw this is goldson at the st johnstone first goal

Not only has he stepped out of line with katic, leaving a massive gap in behind, but he doesnt even challenge the boy to try win the header 

Fuck knows what he is doing, but others want to put the full blame on the poor centre half who has to try cover for that fucking donkey

Screenshot_20200306-155007_YouTube.jpg

The photo shows you exactly what happening, he was never near enough to the attacker to challenge him in the air, he is anticipating the attacker missing the ball and getting ready to head it clear...

What the photo doesnt show is the time taken from the St Johnstone defender heading the ball up the pitch to the attacker flicking it on...2 seconds...its unreasonable to expect Goldson to react to that and challenge for the header as he is so far away from him (rightly or wrongly) in line with the other defenders.

How anyone can try and blame Goldson for that goal is beyond me man!!!

1 minute ago, Del said:

The photo shows you exactly what happening, he was never near enough to the attacker to challenge him in the air, he is anticipating the attacker missing the ball and getting ready to head it clear...

What the photo doesnt show is the time taken from the St Johnstone defender heading the ball up the pitch to the attacker flicking it on...2 seconds...its unreasonable to expect Goldson to react to that and challenge for the header as he is so far away from him (rightly or wrongly) in line with the other defenders.

So he is never near enough to the man he is marking, thats the first mistake, secondly he anticipates the guy missing it, second mistake, 

What he is actually doing there is being caught in no mans land, not close enough to challenge, not far off enough to deal with the flick on, fact is the minute that st johnstone boy wins the ball in the air goldson is taken out the game, 

10 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

If edmunson giving away too many fouls and being caught out is worthy of dropping, then goldson would be sent to the reserves

The only centre half allowed to play through bad form, the only one who's allowed to play through mistakes, and keep his match fitness, and he still did what he did on wed night, 

Katic and helander have had a raw deal from gerrard compared to goldson

Again mate, that's all far too simplistic for me...

Goldson has been our best and most consistent CB for a long time, with and without the ball, yet even when he was playing well he was still getting abuse from fans. I remember arguing with someone on here before who said that every time he passed the ball it went out of play and even when I went back and counted them all (sad I know) and he hadnt, still refused to say he was wrong.

It took Tav being injured for a couple of weeks and having to suffer Flanagan and Polster at RB to make people appreciate exactly what he brings to our team, although it appears thats gone already, but it will be the exact same when/if Goldson ever gets suspended/injured.

In recent weeks all 3 have played some games and all three have made an arse of it at times, for me Goldson has made the fewest mistakes with and without the ball. The one against Hamilton is crazy and probably the worst of them all, but the mistakes made by others outweigh that, especially Katic and dropping Goldson for someone that has just been dropped for playing awful for ages, doesnt make sense to me.

7 minutes ago, Del said:

This n also it is Katic that has stepped out of line.

2 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Don't worry, the coronavirus may save us from much more pain and he can get back down south quicker that he thought.

TBH, I actually think he wants out and I won't be surprised if he has something lined up in the summer, because he must have some amount of contacts down there, so the pals act also at work. His stock is high down there and I'm sure many a mid table club would jump at the chance.

Not sure I want the coronavirus to be a saviour for us B A, but if the season was ended next week and the tarriers could not win 9 this season it would be a bit of karma for all they have done to try and destroy us. :happy:

I have no idea why he is so willing to condemn some players but praise others for the same mistakes, it is very bad man management IMO and that alone must be putting a rift in the squad.

I have no idea whether he genuinely wants to stay or go but if the kind of results like Wed continue (and God help us against B L) then I think he may go before the end of the season. I could also have that completely wrong.

I am as far as football is concerned, as sick as a parrot. 

23 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Btw this is goldson at the st johnstone first goal

Not only has he stepped out of line with katic, leaving a massive gap in behind, but he doesnt even challenge the boy to try win the header 

Fuck knows what he is doing, but others want to put the full blame on the poor centre half who has to try cover for that fucking donkey

Screenshot_20200306-155007_YouTube.jpg

At least at the killie goal that you blame katc for, he challenged somewhat

Screenshot_20200306-155948_YouTube.thumb.jpg.490f567d99b2576b4bf39f4e66a780be.jpg

So how can you blame katic at the killie goal but not goldson at the st johnstone goal

I would say McGregor was at fault for St johnstone goal by letting the player cheat the ball down 10yards inside his box when the ball is coming from a great height!

N Goldson are fault for Killie goal when turning the wrong way to chase Brophy

4 minutes ago, Del said:

Again mate, that's all far too simplistic for me...

Goldson has been our best and most consistent CB for a long time, with and without the ball, yet even when he was playing well he was still getting abuse from fans. I remember arguing with someone on here before who said that every time he passed the ball it went out of play and even when I went back and counted them all (sad I know) and he hadnt, still refused to say he was wrong.

It took Tav being injured for a couple of weeks and having to suffer Flanagan and Polster at RB to make people appreciate exactly what he brings to our team, although it appears thats gone already, but it will be the exact same when/if Goldson ever gets suspended/injured.

In recent weeks all 3 have played some games and all three have made an arse of it at times, for me Goldson has made the fewest mistakes with and without the ball. The one against Hamilton is crazy and probably the worst of them all, but the mistakes made by others outweigh that, especially Katic and dropping Goldson for someone that has just been dropped for playing awful for ages, doesnt make sense to me.

What awful games for ages had katic played? 

Just now, Nk89 said:

I would say McGregor was at fault for St johnstone goal by letting the player cheat the ball down 10yards inside his box when the ball is coming from a great height!

N Goldson are fault for Killie goal when turning the wrong way to chase Brophy

Both goals the ball should never have reached the box, both goals you have one defender not doing anything in the air and the other not dealing with the flick on

But people are quick to criticise katic at killie but not goldson at st johnstone 

4 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

So he is never near enough to the man he is marking, thats the first mistake, secondly he anticipates the guy missing it, second mistake, 

What he is actually doing there is being caught in no mans land, not close enough to challenge, not far off enough to deal with the flick on, fact is the minute that st johnstone boy wins the ball in the air goldson is taken out the game, 

There are no mistakes there...

As you said, he is in line with the other defenders, not no mans land, the St Johnstone defender heads it clear and their attacker (who is closer to the ball) reacts to it. There is no way Goldson or any of the other defenders should be further the pitch than that so their position is ok and he shouldnt be nearer to the attacker as hes not man marking him...

If he charges forward and tries to win the header he doesnt get anywhere near it as the attacker is faster and closer to the ball, what he does is the right thing to do, he steps towards it and anticipates the ball, and hes almost right, its some leap by the attacker who just clips it and no more, but again there is no immediate danger when the ball is flicked on!

Katic has to deal with that, there no ifs buts or maybes, no matter how much you dislike Goldson or like Katic...he had to deal with that ball much much better.

Failing the clear the ball in the manner he did is a mistake, not holding off their attacker better is a mistake...he ends up falling over because hes made that much of an arse of it, but aye you keep blaming Goldson...

I just saw the press conference. I'm backing Gerrard re Goldson. There was a stretch there where Goldson was very good. I can really only remember two goals where he was directly to blame for goals (celtic & Hamilton). People want him dropped but the answer is for who?

I cannot back Gerrard for defending comments made by Kent & Tavernier.

6 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

But the exact reverse happend at killie and yet del blamed katic at that goal

I dont know how many other ways I can explain it...

Did Goldson lose an aerial challenge with an opposition player? No

Did Katic lose an aerial challenge with an opposition player? Yes (he is very poor defensively in the air)

In the incident involving Goldson, did the attacking players header/flick on directly lead to a goal? No

In the incident involving Katic, did the attacking players header/flick on directly lead to a goal? Yes

That is why Katic has to take a large portion of blame for the Kilmarnock goal! I am not saying he is solely to blame but he has a direct impact in the goal being scored, in my opinion the same cant be said for Goldson in the 1st St Johnstone goal.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I just saw the press conference. I'm backing Gerrard re Goldson. There was a stretch there where Goldson was very good. I can really only remember two goals where he was directly to blame for goals (celtic & Hamilton). People want him dropped but the answer is for who?

I cannot back Gerrard for defending comments made by Kent & Tavernier.

Go watch goldsons performance at Pittodrie in the 2-2 game, completely stops play waving his hands in the air for an imaginary foul and just lets the sheep player put it past mcgregor.

Could’ve easily stopped brophy getting a shot away or even bring him down and take one for the team  in the Kilmarnock defeat also. 

He’s single handily gifted 6 points away at ibrox alone this season.

For me, given everything else that's going on, publicly throwing anyone under the bus right now would be unwise for Gerrard to do.  So I get him backing Goldson, even if it now makes it hypocritical.

But ultimately mistakes need repercussions. Goldson has cost us goals and points versus the scum, Killie and Hamilton. It cant just get written off as simply as saying he puts his hands up to it.

Katic too has been costly and ridiculously poor again at St Johnstone. Edmundson for me poor at Hamilton and Hearts and gave away clear cut chances. So I get why Gerrard has his doubts over relying on them.

But ultimately he cant let Goldson go unpunished yet again.  Support him publicly, say hes one of his main men etc, but needs time out or whatever. I think Goldson will start and for some thats the final straw. God forbid he makes a costly mistake they'll both get lynched.

If Goldson plays its indefensible.

8 minutes ago, Del said:

I dont know how many other ways I can explain it...

Did Goldson lose an aerial challenge with an opposition player? No

Did Katic lose an aerial challenge with an opposition player? Yes (he is very poor defensively in the air)

In the incident involving Goldson, did the attacking players header/flick on directly lead to a goal? No

In the incident involving Katic, did the attacking players header/flick on directly lead to a goal? Yes

That is why Katic has to take a large portion of blame for the Kilmarnock goal! I am not saying he is solely to blame but he has a direct impact in the goal being scored, in my opinion the same cant be said for Goldson in the 1st St Johnstone goal.

Goldson didnt lose and aerial challenge because he never even went up for one ffs 

Did both allow a flick on to happen yes

Did both allow a striker to beat them to the ball and score yes 

So either they share the blame at both goals, or only one gets blamed at both goals, tbh i dont care as long as the blame is consistently shared 

You havent, you've clearly chosen to blame katic for both goals which is absurd

19 minutes ago, Del said:

There are no mistakes there...

As you said, he is in line with the other defenders, not no mans land, the St Johnstone defender heads it clear and their attacker (who is closer to the ball) reacts to it. There is no way Goldson or any of the other defenders should be further the pitch than that so their position is ok and he shouldnt be nearer to the attacker as hes not man marking him...

If he charges forward and tries to win the header he doesnt get anywhere near it as the attacker is faster and closer to the ball, what he does is the right thing to do, he steps towards it and anticipates the ball, and hes almost right, its some leap by the attacker who just clips it and no more, but again there is no immediate danger when the ball is flicked on!

Katic has to deal with that, there no ifs buts or maybes, no matter how much you dislike Goldson or like Katic...he had to deal with that ball much much better.

Failing the clear the ball in the manner he did is a mistake, not holding off their attacker better is a mistake...he ends up falling over because hes made that much of an arse of it, but aye you keep blaming Goldson...

Its some leap by the attacker 😂😂

The killie boy lept higher

As for no immediate danger when the st johnstone boy flicked it on, im waiting to see the immediate danger when the killie boy did exactly the same

Your defence of goldson is admirable, but to solely blame katic for st johnstone goal, but give katic large blame for the killie goal, when they are carbon copy goals, is unreal

2 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Only ever criticises the foreigners in the squad whilst the chuckle brothers (our captain and vice captain) are  in the team every single week regardless of their form.

He dropped Kent in midweek......i would say that shows he is prepared to be strong. Kent carries the 7m pricetag (and SG created it)....if he were hiding on his 'favourites' you could argue Kent would be the last to be dropped.

Archived