Jump to content

Toothless in attack!


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Del said:

Another week and another fixture where a defensive mistake has cost us points!

There's no denying that Goldson's error lead to Hamilton taking all 3 points, as without it they probably wouldnt have scored, and its led to the usually clamour for Tav, Goldson or whoever is at CB that game to be dropped, but for me whilst there is no doubt that some of the defence arent playing very well, everyone is so focused on their mistakes that we are missing the bigger picture.

We have played 12 games domestically since coming back after the winter break and have conceded 10 goals, which doesnt look great, however it is the 2nd best record in the league over that period with only celtic conceding fewer (8). People might look at that and say its only 2 goals thats not that bad and arguably its not, but when those 2 goals are scored in back to back 1-0 defeats it feels like we have the worst defence in the history of the club.

Although we have conceded the 2nd fewest goals, you would expect us to be 1st of 2nd generally, however what we shouldnt expect or accept is for Rangers to be the 2nd lowest scorers over that period of games:

celtic (35 goals), Hibs (28 goals), Kilmarnock (23 goals), Hearts (19 goals), St Johnstone (16 goals), Hamilton and Motherwell (15 goals), St Mirren, Livingston, Aberdeen, Rangers (14 goals), Ross County (7 goals)! To make it worse of the goals we have scored 4 of them came in the cup against Hamilton  so we have only scored 11 goals in 12 games.

Goals scored doesnt always paint an accurate picture though as you could have 4 1-0 wins in that period but draw a game 4-4, but its the lack of goals that is really costing us and again the stats are damming:

Stranraer (H) in the cup - 33 shots with 10 on target - 2-0W

St Mirren (H) in league - 17 shots with 5 on target - 1-0W

Hearts (A) in league - 13 shots with 2 on target - 2-1L

Ross County (H) in league - 15 shots with 5 on target - 2-0W

Aberdeen (H) in league - 24shots with 5 on target - 0-0

Hibs (H) in league - 26shots with 8 on target - 2-1W

Hamilton (A) in cup - 15 shots with 10 on target - 4-1W

Kilmarnock (A) in league - 14 shots with 4 on target - 2-1W

Livingston (H) in league - 11 shots with 4 on target - 1-0W

St Johnstone (A) in league - 21shots with 9 on target - 2-2

Hearts (A) in cup - 7 shots with 1 on target - 1-0L (Hearts had 12shots and 6 on target)

Hamilton (H) in league - 31 shots with 9 on target - 1-0L

As much as it might seem like our defenders are making mistake after mistake, the fact is that defenders will always make mistakes, but ours are being highlighted so much because we cant score and therefore the mistakes are costing us games! At the time of posting this there are 5 threads on the main page about defenders being needed, defenders dropped and even one about McGregor being dropped...but not one about any of the attacking players?!

Why are we so quick to hammer defenders for making mistakes but wont do the same about our misfiring attack? There are shouts for Gerrard to drop his favourites yet if you had to ask people to pick their preffered line up they would potentially leave out Goldson, Tav etc but include Kent, Aribo, Morelos...

Defensively, as the stats have proven, we arent in bad shape but we have to start scoring more goals! if that means a change of formation, style, approach I dont know but our poor attack is costing us far more than our defense!

 

Great post, very detailed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good post . It's actually quite frightening how we've gone backwards going forwards . 

Of course , the midfield have to take some of the blame - there seems to be a lack of confidence right now , where we tend to play the safer ball across the park instead of up and down it . Confidence also means we take two or three passes now , whereas previously one would have done , thus slowing everything down and allowing the opposition to regroup . 

Up front , while Morelos is still trying hard it was surprising how little efforts he had on goal on Wednesday , and Defoe didn't fare much better when he came on , in having actual goal attempts . 

I'm not sure what we can do , but work through it . Week after week I keep waiting for it to click again the way it did before the break . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s got all the hallmarks of Warburton’s team.

At times they played sublime at other times devoid of ideas, fight and full of individual errors.

I just can’t see how Gerrard and his coaching team look at each game with the number of crosses attempted that are blocked or never hit our player because there are about 9 opposition players in the box and think “let’s keep trying the same thing”

If we had players practice shooting from the edge of the box then we might actually get somewhere, a lucky deflection that goes in or winning more corners and couple that with spending more time practicing corners as we are shite at those too.

Even when we do create golden opportunities players are missing them. We should have been out of sight against Hamilton I mean how the fuck Tav misses an open goal from 4 yards is beyond me.

The lack of ruthlessness and creativity up top coupled with the inept defending and mistakes has cost us the league.

Simply playing the same players and same tactics hoping they will come good again because they have in Europe is just naive and wishful thinking. The manager should have dropped players out of form instead he has validated their thoughts that it’s fine to play shite because he’ll keep picking you if you train well.

Its almost back to the warburton days of “we’ve trained well” therefore we should win the game easily.

I thought Gerrard had more to him than he has shown and I really don’t think he’s cut out for the job long term. This job requires a manager  that demands the highest standards from his players and if he doesn’t get it he makes them well aware of this and DROPS THEM.

Continuing to play the players underperforming will just result in others underperforming as they too see it’s ok, so expect Barisic, hagi and Kamberi to go shite as well

Bad Robot likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

The constant crossing from our full backs is not working. 

Barisic and Tav bomb down, whip in a cross but it never comes to anything. Morelos is normally trying to fend off about six defenders. 

The failure of our midfield to play through teams instead of constantly making sideways passes is fucking soul destroying. 

When the full backs get in their crosses, you just know it's going to be cleared away and we won't get a clean contact on the end of them. 

 

By the time the crosses go in there are eleven men behind the ball.  Really is Mark Warburtonesque now.

Zappa6995 and MoodyBlue1872 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

It’s got all the hallmarks of Warburton’s team.

At times they played sublime at other times devoid of ideas, fight and full of individual errors.

I just can’t see how Gerrard and his coaching team look at each game with the number of crosses attempted that are blocked or never hit our player because there are about 9 opposition players in the box and think “let’s keep trying the same thing”

If we had players practice shooting from the edge of the box then we might actually get somewhere, a lucky deflection that goes in or winning more corners and couple that with spending more time practicing corners as we are shite at those too.

Even when we do create golden opportunities players are missing them. We should have been out of sight against Hamilton I mean how the fuck Tav misses an open goal from 4 yards is beyond me.

The lack of ruthlessness and creativity up top coupled with the inept defending and mistakes has cost us the league.

Simply playing the same players and same tactics hoping they will come good again because they have in Europe is just naive and wishful thinking. The manager should have dropped players out of form instead he has validated their thoughts that it’s fine to play shite because he’ll keep picking you if you train well.

Its almost back to the warburton days of “we’ve trained well” therefore we should win the game easily.

I thought Gerrard had more to him than he has shown and I really don’t think he’s cut out for the job long term. This job requires a manager  that demands the highest standards from his players and if he doesn’t get it he makes them well aware of this and DROPS THEM.

Continuing to play the players underperforming will just result in others underperforming as they too see it’s ok, so expect Barisic, hagi and Kamberi to go shite as well

In the warm-up we are practising shooting from the edge of the box.  It  all goes to fuck when the actual game starts.

MoodyBlue1872 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

The constant crossing from our full backs is not working. 

Barisic and Tav bomb down, whip in a cross but it never comes to anything. Morelos is normally trying to fend off about six defenders. 

The failure of our midfield to play through teams instead of constantly making sideways passes is fucking soul destroying. 

When the full backs get in their crosses, you just know it's going to be cleared away and we won't get a clean contact on the end of them. 

 

The crosses arent the issue though, its the tempo of our play and the decision making in the final third.

I spend quite a lot of time doing analysis of football and NFL matches at the moment, its for an analytic's course and from the footage I have put together we are getting into similar positions to score but as we have lost confidence/sharpness/belief we lose the edge to our play and it becomes far too slow and deliberate.

Any opposition team watching us play now should be able to come up with a plan on how to limit us creating chances, even Hamilton on Wednesday didnt execute their plan well but the GK kept them in it.

I dont have access (easily) to our previous games or I could put something together to show you, but you can only imagine that a football team with guys doing this for a living day in day out, would be able to spot this a mile out!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Del said:

Another week and another fixture where a defensive mistake has cost us points!

There's no denying that Goldson's error lead to Hamilton taking all 3 points, as without it they probably wouldnt have scored, and its led to the usually clamour for Tav, Goldson or whoever is at CB that game to be dropped, but for me whilst there is no doubt that some of the defence arent playing very well, everyone is so focused on their mistakes that we are missing the bigger picture.

We have played 12 games domestically since coming back after the winter break and have conceded 10 goals, which doesnt look great, however it is the 2nd best record in the league over that period with only celtic conceding fewer (8). People might look at that and say its only 2 goals thats not that bad and arguably its not, but when those 2 goals are scored in back to back 1-0 defeats it feels like we have the worst defence in the history of the club.

Although we have conceded the 2nd fewest goals, you would expect us to be 1st of 2nd generally, however what we shouldnt expect or accept is for Rangers to be the 2nd lowest scorers over that period of games:

celtic (35 goals), Hibs (28 goals), Kilmarnock (23 goals), Hearts (19 goals), St Johnstone (16 goals), Hamilton and Motherwell (15 goals), St Mirren, Livingston, Aberdeen, Rangers (14 goals), Ross County (7 goals)! To make it worse of the goals we have scored 4 of them came in the cup against Hamilton  so we have only scored 11 goals in 12 games.

Goals scored doesnt always paint an accurate picture though as you could have 4 1-0 wins in that period but draw a game 4-4, but its the lack of goals that is really costing us and again the stats are damming:

Stranraer (H) in the cup - 33 shots with 10 on target - 2-0W

St Mirren (H) in league - 17 shots with 5 on target - 1-0W

Hearts (A) in league - 13 shots with 2 on target - 2-1L

Ross County (H) in league - 15 shots with 5 on target - 2-0W

Aberdeen (H) in league - 24shots with 5 on target - 0-0

Hibs (H) in league - 26shots with 8 on target - 2-1W

Hamilton (A) in cup - 15 shots with 10 on target - 4-1W

Kilmarnock (A) in league - 14 shots with 4 on target - 2-1W

Livingston (H) in league - 11 shots with 4 on target - 1-0W

St Johnstone (A) in league - 21shots with 9 on target - 2-2

Hearts (A) in cup - 7 shots with 1 on target - 1-0L (Hearts had 12shots and 6 on target)

Hamilton (H) in league - 31 shots with 9 on target - 1-0L

As much as it might seem like our defenders are making mistake after mistake, the fact is that defenders will always make mistakes, but ours are being highlighted so much because we cant score and therefore the mistakes are costing us games! At the time of posting this there are 5 threads on the main page about defenders being needed, defenders dropped and even one about McGregor being dropped...but not one about any of the attacking players?!

Why are we so quick to hammer defenders for making mistakes but wont do the same about our misfiring attack? There are shouts for Gerrard to drop his favourites yet if you had to ask people to pick their preffered line up they would potentially leave out Goldson, Tav etc but include Kent, Aribo, Morelos...

Defensively, as the stats have proven, we arent in bad shape but we have to start scoring more goals! if that means a change of formation, style, approach I dont know but our poor attack is costing us far more than our defense!

 

It’s shows that without morelos on form we have nobody who can find the back of the net on a regular basis, defoe is done, and the others are of spfl standard a player

how many games has morelos missed during that 12 game run? Not far off half of them, that’s what the stupid cunt has to see, he’s killing us with his petulant shite 

Boybluesy and MoodyBlue1872 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bluenoz said:

If we score 2 of out 31 chances against Hamilton the mistake at the back is nullified. We have the talent in the forward areas, but we lack an imagination to change things when we come up against walls of defence.

Good point, You know its ridiculous 31 chances and really it shud be 4 or 5 in the net....but to lose is scandalous.

bluenoz likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boybluesy said:

In the warm-up we are practising shooting from the edge of the box.  It  all goes to fuck when the actual game starts.

It's cringy as fuck when they do it in the warm up. Not one of them had a decent shot on them when it comes to the real thing. 

Steven Davis had palpatations when in a shooting position and then just passes sideways. Shitebag. 

32Blue and loyalfollower like this
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

The constant crossing from our full backs is not working. 

Barisic and Tav bomb down, whip in a cross but it never comes to anything. Morelos is normally trying to fend off about six defenders. 

The failure of our midfield to play through teams instead of constantly making sideways passes is fucking soul destroying. 

When the full backs get in their crosses, you just know it's going to be cleared away and we won't get a clean contact on the end of them. 

 

This post sums things up beautifully 

 

my thoughts exactly 

MoodyBlue1872 likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MoodyBlue1872 said:

The constant crossing from our full backs is not working. 

Barisic and Tav bomb down, whip in a cross but it never comes to anything. Morelos is normally trying to fend off about six defenders. 

The failure of our midfield to play through teams instead of constantly making sideways passes is fucking soul destroying. 

When the full backs get in their crosses, you just know it's going to be cleared away and we won't get a clean contact on the end of them. 

 

Starts from the back where we’re way too slow shifting it forward, eventually gets toTav or Barisic meanwhile the opposition have 9 men in the box and none of our midfielders make runs, consequently Fredo on his own with little chance of getting on the end of anything.

bornabear and MoodyBlue1872 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

Starts from the back where we’re way too slow shifting it forward, eventually gets toTav or Barisic meanwhile the opposition have 9 men in the box and none of our midfielders make runs, consequently Fredo on his own with little chance of getting on the end of anything.

Thats why Katic cant play for me, he is awful on the ball!

I have lost count of the number of times I have seen him pass it 3 yards to the FB or 10 yards to Goldson rather than try and pass it into the midfield as he is scared to pass.

Its also the reason why I think Gerrard wont drop Goldson, as he is happy to get the ball and try to move it forward which Wednesday aside, he is usually pretty good at.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Upcoming Events

    • 15 May 2021 11:30 Until 13:30
      0  
      Rangers v Aberdeen
      Ibrox Stadium
      Scottish Premiership
      Live on Sky Sports Football and Sky Sports Main Event
×
×
  • Create New...