New spine required

CoplandRoad83

Just back from game, only looked decent when Kamberi came on, but up against a good side.  Regardless of tonight it's clear we need a new spine of our team (with only exception being goalkeeper). We cannot rely on Goldson and Davis as our 'leaders' (nor Tav), and I think Alfie has now checked out.

We are crying out for:

A commanding CB that can help to develop the young players like Edmondson and Katic and won't be phased domestically, with the character to succeed and leads from the back. Goldson isn't going to cut it for that role and has shown that over course of season. I don't think Helander is the answer either personally from what I've seen this season.

A CM that can win the battles, with personality and the character required to drive the team forward, and impose himself on games and lead the team.  

A striker thats a replacement for Alfie (no doubt in mind now he is away in the summer).

We can't repeat last summer with a large number of players to add 'depth' and not be used.

We need big quality in key areas,  not quantity, and we need big characters and leaders not young, shy talented kids.

9 minutes ago, Copeland1983 said:

Just back from game, only looked decent when Kamberi came on, but up against a good side.  Regardless of tonight it's clear we need a new spine of our team (with only exception being goalkeeper). We cannot rely on Goldson and Davis as our 'leaders' (nor Tav), and I think Alfie has now checked out.

We are crying out for:

A commanding CB that can help to develop the young players like Edmondson and Katic and won't be phased domestically, with the character to succeed and leads from the back. Goldson isn't going to cut it for that role and has shown that over course of season. I don't think Helander is the answer either personally from what I've seen this season.

A CM that can win the battles, with personality and the character required to drive the team forward, and impose himself on games and lead the team.  

A striker thats a replacement for Alfie (no doubt in mind now he is away in the summer).

We can't repeat last summer with a large number of players to add 'depth' and not be used.

We need big quality in key areas,  not quantity, and we need big characters and leaders not young, shy talented kids.

A good assessment.

I'd add that our midfield is needing a total overhaul. In addition to that midfielder that can impose and lead. We need a midfielder that bring the ball forward quickly and can pick a pass. 

3 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

In fairness to him, I’d very much exclude McGregor from that statement. He completely gets it.  Everyone else, fair play.

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I can't remember the last time I seen an angry Rangers player.

100%.  It's brutal and says a lot about mentality, we're a real quiet, timid bunch.

7 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

I’ll be absolutely stunned if Katic is still here at start of next season.

Totally. Gerrard has mercilessly and absolutely dismantled the guy’s confidence. With a better, more experienced leader/CB beside him, I reckon we’d be looking at a young £10m+ regular Croatian international.  It’s shameful how he’s been managed.

No need to overreact really as shite at the season has been since the turn of the year, getting out classed by that Leverkusen team is nothing to be ashamed of they are a quality outfit and that’s that

Cunts would be on here moaning like fuck if we got beat by Barcelona in a champions league final

IMO, this time round just be humble 

3 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

No need to overreact really as shite at the season has been since the turn of the year, getting out classed by that Leverkusen team is nothing to be ashamed of they are a quality outfit and that’s that

Cunts would be on here moaning like fuck if we got beat by Barcelona in a champions league final

I agree they were a good team, but we were nowhere near it tonight, it's our form that's really pissed me off tonight.

8 minutes ago, BearInTheToon said:

Totally. Gerrard has mercilessly and absolutely dismantled the guy’s confidence. With a better, more experienced leader/CB beside him, I reckon we’d be looking at a young £10m+ regular Croatian international.  It’s shameful how he’s been managed.

This isn’t an exaggeration.  Katic looked the best Croatian CB during the U21 Championships.  He was preferred to Benkovic who was sold for £12m at one point.  Katic could develop in to a very good CB.  

1 minute ago, TMB said:

This isn’t an exaggeration.  Katic looked the best Croatian CB during the U21 Championships.  He was preferred to Benkovic who was sold for £12m at one point.  Katic could develop in to a very good CB.  

Has plenty of attributes, could not be getting managed any worse 

12 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Or, we buy a centre back that isn’t a young player that doesn’t need spoke through games?

I think we have two very talented young central defenders on our books, who with the right partner could be fantastic 

14 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

None of this is a knee-jerk reaction to tonight, they are a fine side.  But in all likelihood we are out of all competitions now, so we need to analyse where we are at to move forward.

Clear out about a dozen or so in the summer, replace with actual quality. No more buying back ups and players who can supposedly "do a job". Otherwise there's no point and next season will end no differently than this season or last. Replace the likes of Fod/Alnwick leaving in the summer with someone capable of benching Mcgregor. Replace the likes of Kamberi/Ojo going back to their respective clubs with someone capable of benching whoever. Bring in a couple midfielders capable of benching the likes of davis/arfield permanently. So on, and so on.  

Would also help if we manage to buy players that aren't scared of playing Aberdeen/Hearts/St Johnstone, etc, or are overwhelmed by the thought of challenging for silverware.

12 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Clear out about a dozen or so in the summer, replace with actual quality. No more buying back ups and players who can supposedly "do a job". Otherwise there's no point and next season will end no differently than this season or last. Replace the likes of Fod/Alnwick leaving in the summer with someone capable of benching Mcgregor. Replace the likes of Kamberi/Ojo going back to their respective clubs with someone capable of benching whoever. Bring in a couple midfielders capable of benching the likes of davis/arfield permanently. So on, and so on.  

Would also help if we manage to buy players that aren't scared of playing Aberdeen/Hearts/St Johnstone, etc, or are overwhelmed by the thought of challenging for silverware.

Only missing out wanting world peace  in this post.

14 minutes ago, Supersonic said:

Replacing squad players is not our problem, and there's nothing wrong with Kamberi tbh, the boy has come in and done well so don't get the parallel with Ojo.  We need quality in key areas, a few choice signings, big characters to bring out and develop the rest.

5 minutes ago, Drunk and disorderly. said:

I assume you mean outfield players. Which I totally agree with.

Yes. It doesn't need to be a rant and rave type of anger. But a right good dirty tackle for the cause. An Ian Ferguson or Kevin Thomson type tackle. Nobody fears us anymore.  Players like Power and Donnelly come to Ibrox acting all hard these days.

Archived