Underated Rangers Players

Norrie Martin.  Met him many years ago on  a trip home.  He owned a hotel down Ayrshire way.  I once read that he played  outfield with a bandage on his head in a minor Old Firm game (Glasgow Cup maybe).  Maybe a detail-oriented older bear can confirm.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Norrie Martin.  Met him many years ago on  a trip home.  He owned a hotel down Ayrshire way.  I once read that he played  outfield with a bandage on his head in a minor Old Firm game (Glasgow Cup maybe).  Maybe a detail-oriented older bear can confirm.

A bit before my time, but I found this on google:

Glasgow Cup game v celtic played at the end of that 64-65 season, where Davie Provan replaced Norrie Martin in Goal.
Rangers were unfortunately reduced to 9 men through injury when Rodger Hynd (ankle) was taken off and immediately went to hospital, and George McLean (gashed shin) did not reappear for the second half.
This was in the days before substitutes when the injured could not be replaced.
(Typical tactics that the recently appointed celtic manager Jock Stein would employ to gain an advantage)

Goalkeeper Martin also suffered a broken finger, that forced him to swap shirts with Davie Provan going in goals for the start of the second half, and Martin having to play up front as an auxiliary striker for the remainder of the game.
Despite the set backs Rangers played well with winger Davy Wilson excelling at left back.
9 man Rangers in fact opened the scoring with an excellent left footed shot from Willie Henderson.
Auld scored for celtic in 77 minutes, before Chalmers scored the winner after Gemmell's shot had struck the post.

Rangers:
Martin; Provan, Caldow; Greig, McKinnon, Hynd; Henderson, Wood, McLean, Brand, Wilson.
Scorer: Henderson (67)

Attendance: 41,000
Referee: D Weir (Glasgow)

Although he was voted fans player of the year in  2006-07,  I often thought  Brahim Hemdani  wasn't always appreciated as much  as he deserved to be. I recall many bears feeling he was too negative, however he was instrumental in us reaching the UEFA Cup Final.  Admittedly he wasn't flashy , but he could read a game and break up play.

Bobby Russell 

A treble winner in his first season aged 20 Bobby went on to serve Rangers for 10 years and inducted in to the Rangers Hall of Fame

He played at both Rangers and Motherwell with Davie copper and gained a League Championship medal, a trio of Scottish Cups and four League Cups

Fondly remembered for his fine goal v PSV in a 3-2 away win

ec1bd6ee58eaeb5f2ebbe93c5a104b75.jpg

downloadfile.bin

20 minutes ago, One Jock Wallace said:

Bobby Russell 

A treble winner in his first season aged 20 Bobby went on to serve Rangers for 10 years and inducted in to the Rangers Hall of Fame

He played at both Rangers and Motherwell with Davie copper and gained a League Championship medal, a trio of Scottish Cups and four League Cups

Fondly remembered for his fine goal v PSV in a 3-2 away win

ec1bd6ee58eaeb5f2ebbe93c5a104b75.jpg

downloadfile.bin 111.72 kB · 2 downloads

Russell was never underrated  everyone knew he was class.

On 23/03/2020 at 11:22, jackrfc95 said:

I always felt Kevin Thomson was underrated while he was playing with us, although now he seems to be thought of in quite high regard generally. 

People always liked Thomson as a player.  Everyone thought we had the made the better signing when he came to Rangers from Hibs and celtic spent twice as much on Brown.  Thomson was plagued by injuries which meant he could never reach his full potential or have a long career in the game.  It was a shame for the guy because the talent was there and he clearly loved the club.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Blue said:

How did Doddie only get ONE cap for Scotland 🤷‍♂️

Much the same reason Bobby Russell got none I guess.  Scotland were managed by openly bigoted managers who admitted their hatred in those days

Docherty was an ex cellic player, and too much in favour of English League players.

Ormond relied on English league players too, and was out his depth.

As for Ally McLeod, he genuinely hated us for whatever reason, treated our on form players disgracefully,especially Derek Johnstone. 

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Bobby McKean will always be underrated because life ended so tragically. Would have went on to bigger things.

First game my dad took me to was against Hibs (I was around 7 so it was '74 or thereabouts)

When I picked Bobby as MOTM my dad was delighted and my hair was well ruffled.

602bb1881b5609aca471e1b839cd97cc.jpg

3 minutes ago, 32Blue said:

First game my dad took me to was against Hibs (I was around 7 so it was '74 or thereabouts)

When I picked Bobby as MOTM my dad was delighted and my hair was well ruffled.

602bb1881b5609aca471e1b839cd97cc.jpg

I was 12 when he died mate. That was about the time when I was first allowed to start going to games. I can't remember if I ever saw him live but I have fond memories of tv highlights.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I was 12 when he died mate. That was about the time when I was first allowed to start going to games. I can't remember if I ever saw him live but I have fond memories of tv highlights.

That game against Hibs had Alex McDonald, Tommy McLean and Bobby in midfield.

Happy days.

9 hours ago, Ayrshire Blue said:

How did Doddie only get ONE cap for Scotland 🤷‍♂️

Love him to bits and he is a tremendous Ranger but Scotland were quite well off for midfielders during Doddies career but as Ive said he was an outstanding player for us.

Archived