Club statement | Resolution not deemed competent

OceanRain

• Replies 27.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, willygers4life said:

Do you think maybe John nelms is the whistle blower, and that's why Dundee are staying quiet for now. Maybe played drysdale at his own game to out a rat in their camp, and drysdale has popped his olhead out the sewer 

I’m of that mindset, I think Drysdale has tried to help his favourite club and this chairman has phoned the police. Could be a police investigation that’s stopping them from making a statement. 

1 hour ago, BlueMe said:

Long article, but bang on imo-

Everyone wants the season to be completed but that may not be realistic.

It was something Mikey Devlin said on these very pages a week ago: “It’s about finding a solution that upsets the least amount of people. Because you can’t appease everyone.”

Profound words from the big Aberdeen defender and PFA Scotland’s vice-chairman but not unexpected from a guy like him.

He was bang on.

In the midst of a proper crisis, a global pandemic that’s killing thousands of people every day, the answers were never going to be easy.

For any government, organisation, business or sport, it’s all about making the best out of a horribly bad situation.

Of course, someone will feel hurt or damaged. But it’s about limiting that to as few as possible.

Which brings us to the SPFL and their botched attempts to call a halt to this 2019/20 Premiership season. A body, made up of its own clubs, with an
executive board there to guide them.

In their efforts to reach some sort of conclusion, we’ve had bickering between clubs, selfish agendas, threats from UEFA, financial scaremongering and lobbying.

On Friday – even before their ‘resolution’ vote had been partly counted they were publicly accused by Rangers of bullying.

What followed that day and into the night was embarrassing and unedifying.

And yesterday the Ibrox club’s latest statement put a grenade under the SPFL by demanding an investigation and the suspension of CEO Neil Doncaster. If the Englishman survives this latest farce, he really is untouchable.

As Dundee sit with the future of Scottish football in their hands, we’ve still no idea if any of our leagues will end prematurely or not.

The fact they’ve allowed it to get to this point – and the insane release of the incomplete vote – shows a complete failure of governance.

Rangers have now pounced on this and claim they have evidence to prove it.

Now, one club can hold them all to ransom, or worse, leave themselves open to the entire basis of the league being sorted on a bribe.

But while all of this chaos was going on there was still a big elephant in the room on Hampden’s sixth floor. Sitting there with two words on the tip of its trunk. Null and Void.

It’s the one phrase that had everyone in Scottish football running scared from the moment it was first uttered.

From very early on, the SPFL wiped it clean off the table. But now, after the farce we had to endure on Friday night, you have to ask: “Why?”

I tell you what, if they’d been bold enough to do it – you wouldn’t have half of the squabbling or underhand tactics we’re seeing now.

Let’s be clear about a few things.

Firstly, every football player, coach, fan, pundit and journalist in the land wants this season to
be completed.

Cram the remaining games in when it’s safe to do so and dish out the prizes accordingly.

The Euro 2020 postponement has helped with that. Players have effectively had their pre-season now so when they come back they’ll be able to play right through.

The group stage of the 2020/21 Betfred Cup could have been replaced by a straight knock-out, with more midweek games and no winter break.

That’s how they might have pulled it off. It would have been the ideal scenario for everyone.

But given the timescale involved and the health advice available at the moment, that’s now highly unlikely to happen.

There has to be a cut-off point for finishing this season. And if the coronavirus, and government guidance, prevents us from getting it done before say, August 31? You accept defeat.

That’s when they had a real decision to make. When they needed proper leadership – and a set of balls.

Which brings us on to another couple of
unarguable facts. You can’t declare someone the winner when a competition hasn’t been won. And you can’t relegate a club when they still have a chance of survival.

Whether you like it or not, it just isn’t right.

And the result of trying to push something like that through was played out in front of our eyes last week. Arguments back and forth, legal revolts, tactical voting and suggestions of coercing.

And that was just for the lower leagues.

The null-and-void option, with no promotion or relegation?

It would certainly be controversial. But we keep hearing that these are unprecedented times.

Sometimes that calls for unprecedented decision making. If games can’t be completed by August 31, this virus is solely responsible for wiping out the season.

A once-in-a-generation disaster, which is far more important than any title or trophy.

Think of Devlin’s point. While the current proposals have prompted in-fighting among several clubs, this option would have been extremely harsh on just three out of 42.

celtic, Dundee United and Cove Rangers would be the only clubs with a genuine grievance, given their leads at the top of the Premiership, Championship and League Two.

There’s no doubt it would have been a severe body blow. The thought of having to come back and do it all again next season, with no reward for their efforts.

But there are 1000 people dying every day as a result of Covid-19. A bit of perspective is required.

As for every other club?

As long as they were still getting their place money from the abandoned campaign – and the pot is there ready to be dished out – they would accept restarting whenever we get the green light.

Distribute the cash on current league positions before it’s called void. And don’t complicate it with this nonsense of tallying average points over a season. Who came up with that whopper?

Understandably, there was a fear attached to the null-and-void argument.

But that’s where you require the SPFL – as well as individual clubs – to show some strength of leadership.

There was talk of the TV companies claiming back some of their cash if the season is scrapped.

But Sky are hardly likely to do that just as they’re about to embark on a new five-year deal in August. The SPFL seem to be using Sky’s big contract, which kicks off on August 1, as one of their excuses.

But surely whether the new campaign starts on August 1 or September 7 wouldn’t have made any difference under these circumstances?

The deal is for the amount of live fixtures over a season and that won’t change even if the start has to be delayed.

If they tried to rob clubs of funds, there might not be clubs left for next term.

Same for BT Sport, who are coming to the end of a successful stint where they’ve built up terrific
relationships with Scottish clubs. The SPFL claim, on their legal advice, they can’t do it. So tell us exactly why.

Who’s threatening to sue? Call them out, stand up to them. Tell the supporters who is holding a gun to your head. Who’s applying pressure?

We’ve heard clubs are concerned about legal battles over season tickets or sponsorship.

And obviously if there was a danger of it happening you’d have to tread carefully.

But are we to believe that fans would sue their own clubs for a chunk of their season book cash because there were still a handful of home games to go? Really? Knowing it might hurt the club?

Again, I can’t see it.

And as for sponsorship, it would be suicidal from a PR and marketing point of view for any company to potentially sink a club for the sake of a few hundred grand.

Imagine celtic or Rangers supporters telling punters in no uncertain terms not to bet with Ladbrokes or drink Magners – because they’d attempted to take advantage of the pandemic by clawing money back. In terms of their image, it would be crazy if they pursued it.

That’s where clubs – and the league – would have to be strong in shaming them.

Some said the null-and-void option was crazy. But look at the alternative. We’re in the midst of that very s*** storm right now. At least it would give cast iron clarity and end the fighting.

What happened on Friday night was a dark day for our game.

While supporters were losing loved ones to a deadly virus, the people in charge of football were quarrelling about which way Inverness Caley Thistle’s vote might go.

It was a shambles and can never be repeated.

Devlin was right. Find a solution that upsets the least people. But irrespective of what happens next or what box John Nelms ticks before hitting send on the Dens Park fax machine, what we’re going to end up with certainly won’t do that.

“Record journo talk sense” shocker!!

Glad you posted that, we really need to be told EXACTLY why the least contentious, the fairest and most obvious solution was taken off the table before discussions or voting began.

Who decided it wasn’t an option? When? Why? Who did he consult?

The “losers” (scum, Dundee scum, cove) have worked and their efforts would end up counting for nothing. But that doesn’t begin to compare to relegating teams who could easily have stayed up. That’s not unfortunate, that is unjust.

We haven’t pushed for null and void nor should we but I would expect others in the media to start asking the questions above.

Ally McCoist will be on Talksport tomorrow morning.

I expect him to call for celtic to be awarded title and money distributed.

He will claim not to know enough about SPFL situation to comment.

I have been asked to say who my top 5 footballing heroes/influences were. At one point he would have been at the very top.

Now I see him as a career presenter who wont rock the boat.

3 minutes ago, Howsitgoing said:

I’m of that mindset, I think Drysdale has tried to help his favourite club and this chairman has phoned the police. Could be a police investigation that’s stopping them from making a statement. 

Why would Nelms then tell Drysdale not to resubmit the vote? 

Why would Dundee refuse any comment to clear up their intention to vote no? 

If there's a police investigation ongoing, we wouldn't have the evidence, the polis would. 

2 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

I have been asked to say who my top 5 footballing heroes/influences were. At one point he would have been at the very top.

He's repeatedly said the opposite so far, why would he change now? 

3 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

Sound.

Screenshot_20200412-100511_Samsung Internet.jpg

19 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

I don't think it's weird at this point, they may be seeking legal council.

I'm of the impression that it's something to do with company law as DP said in his statement ...

“The farcical conduct of this affair seems to me to bring the corporate governance and business operations of the SPFL into sharp focus. It is an example of an undemocratic culture, which has existed within the SPFL for far too long.

You could be right 👍

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Why would Nelms then tell Drysdale not to resubmit the vote? Maybe because the rules say you can only vote once 

Why would Dundee refuse any comment to clear up their intention to vote no? Maybe Under the advice of their legal council

If there's a police investigation ongoing, we wouldn't have the evidence, the polis would. Maybe the police haven't collected the evidence yet

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Why would Nelms then tell Drysdale not to resubmit the vote? 

Why would Dundee refuse any comment to clear up their intention to vote no? 

If there's a police investigation ongoing, we wouldn't have the evidence, the polis would. 

1:Drysdale is the author of that information. 

2:Unsure, waiting for outcome of police investigation before making any statement...maybe?

3:The evidence Rangers have has never been made public. 

12 minutes ago, OceanRain said:

IIRC, Hearts were contacted (if that's what was said) *after* their submission, but Dundee were contacted almost a full hour before their PDF uncannily tripped the SPFL firewall.

Wasn’t their submission made at mid day according to budge, but a fault at her end gave a false positive for it being sent/ received, they resent it after 5pm, strange they would that long, unless of course any phone call was made after the vote was prematurely published.

8 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

Little weasel will be gushing over Brazil’s every word no doubts .I will be astonished if he isn’t apologetic  

1 minute ago, eejay the dj said:

Little weasel will be gushing over Brazil’s every word no doubts .I will be astonished if he isn’t apologetic  

You not read the previous posts, that has not been his narrative so far.

10 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

You guessing all this or  have you seen his deadline script?

7 minutes ago, backup said:

Wasn’t their submission made at mid day according to budge, but a fault at her end gave a false positive for it being sent/ received, they resent it after 5pm, strange they would that long, unless of course any phone call was made after the vote was prematurely published.

It's bizarre.

Who knows? Maybe this new evidence is from Hearts?

Archived