Reconstruction

Blues Brother

48 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

You are just taking the very best part and then using an extreme negative to try and contrast it. 

It's not big deal either way, it's just a preference for me. Scottish football is utter dogshit and I don't think it makes that much difference in terms of quality. I just think two bigger leagues would cut out a lot of the teams floating about pointlessly and would be better. 

It would also help a lot of young players get noticed look at when we were coming thru the divisions .

A lot of these teams up there game when on the tv and  playing bigger teams and would prob take points off a few team’s.

It  could not be any worse than playing the same teams every other week which is so like watching  paint dry .

You know the teams that only lift  their game against us  .

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, surfsup2 said:

It would also help a lot of young players get noticed look at when we were coming thru the divisions .

A lot of these teams up there game when on the tv and  playing bigger teams and would prob take points off a few team’s.

It  could not be any worse than playing the same teams every other week which is so like watching  paint dry .

You know the teams that only lift  their game against us  .

Aye that's my thinking mate. 

But to flip it, I'm not gonna argue with cunts over it either. I don't care that much about it or Scottish football to get pure emotionally involved but if I could pick that would be my preference. 

20 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

The reason I put the 9th placed finish was to give opportunity to all the league to have a chance for European football. And giving all the chance to be progressive.  

Yeah.  And I addressed it.  Having a team who finish 9th (+ spot above relegation playoffs as things stand) getting a Euro place over 4th, when the clubs who finished in 6th, 7th and 8th don't even get an opportunity is madness. 

53 minutes ago, Blues Brother said:

Unfortunately a split is needed to bring some excitement to the league. Without it teams would have nothing to play for by jan/feb..

At least the split it suggest is fair for all. Unlike the current split 👍

I don't like it, especially the current split.

1 hour ago, Blues Brother said:

Do you think the idea of splitting into 4 help it from getting to boring? Also crowds would potentially be up because of so many derby games and most clubs would have something to play for. 

TBH mate I don't think it makes any difference how you split the leagues up, back in the days I'm talking about even the smaller teams would at least have a go but it was still boring, and nowadays with teams just sitting in IMO it's even worse absolutely no entertainment and the stupid split is just that, stupid, Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that I've supported The Rangers all my life I wouldn't bother my arse watching scottish football at all.

19 minutes ago, BookWorm said:

I don't like it, especially the current split.

The split brings no excitement to the league. I don't really get how it there's nothing to play for in Jan/Feb, it's just because that's the sorta lull part in the middle of the season. Teams should be competitive during that period to ensure they are pushing for a European play at the end of May. You don't need a split to have competition for European places.

23 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

The split brings no excitement to the league. I don't really get how it there's nothing to play for in Jan/Feb, it's just because that's the sorta lull part in the middle of the season. Teams should be competitive during that period to ensure they are pushing for a European play at the end of May. You don't need a split to have competition for European places.

It is a shambles.

Whats the benefit of winning the Scottish Cup?

Said it many times before: Scottish football has too many teams for the numbers that attend. Teams need to amalgamate. Not everyone will like it but it gives them the oppertunity of increased attendance, more revenue, less outgoings (wages, ground upkeep), benefit of selling the "other" stadium, etc. Obviously some clubs lend themselves better to amalgamation i.e Dundee & Dundee Utd, Aberdeen & Peterhead, Motherwell & Hamilton for locality. Yes there may be a case where up to 5 teams would need to amalgamate to make it over the 1000 supporter mark but perhaps with more interesting leagues, fans might return.

The only teams in Scotland who have a big enought fan base is Us, them, Hearts, Hibs and just about Aberdeen.

When Dundee inevitably fold and the current resolution passes, this will be first on the agenda tabled by hearts and Dundee. Only one club will vote no/abstain - that will be us.

Fix is in. Every club disagrees with relegating clubs unfairly. Every club is choking on money. Every club wants to ‘appear’ to be doing the right thing.

Only we have an issue prematurely anointing the taigs as no one else has a chance anyway.

Reconstruction is a strategy to ensure teams due to be relegated and those in the play-off places support the SPFL of calling the leagues based on current points. 

This would than allow them to award celtic the Premier title. 

9 hours ago, tm91 said:

I honestly think the old system would be best. One top league of 18 teams, offering 34 games, with the League Cup instead using group stages based on regions, ensuring that you get your 4 Old Firm derbies a season. Two tiers of 12 under that using the 33-game split (although I still maintain 42 clubs is far too many for the SPFL).  My ideal preference would be for two leagues of 18 and then your East of Scotland/Highland leagues etc underneath them in a pyramid with whatever play-offs are needed to make it work.

Playing Kilmarnock potentially 6/7 times a season as is now is fucking torture.

I'd be up for that too if we somehow have 6 teams culled off to allow for it.

Thing is, is it fair to just snip 6 teams off - why whatever 6 that's be chosen? because, to be honest after you go outwith the Scottish Premiership and go beyond an initial group of teams like Dundee United, Inverness, Falkirk, Partick Thistle and maybe Dunfermline and maybe Raith Rovers too - the rest of the teams are much of the same. They will have the odd good season or whatever but there's not that much between them all (some obviously better than others but not on any massive scale)

I'd be happy with x2 divisions of 18 but would be too hard to get to that stage.

17 hours ago, tm91 said:

It's rich us saying this as Rangers fans and I absolutely understand why other fans would hate this, but from a cold, dispassionate analytical perspective this is spot on. There are far too many clubs in Scottish football. We're too small a nation to sustain 42 clubs even in the best circumstances, never mind when you've got two football clubs the size of us and them.

But we are in that situation where us and them, basically finance the rest of Scottish football. I had a quick look and if you take the average home fan attendance from last year there are 235,443 for the entirety of the Scottish leagues (premier, champ, div 1&2).

The break down is interesting: us and them bring 107,208 fans to the average home game, which leaves 128,235 for the remaining 40 teams.

Clearly this excludes the away support but when they don't show up for thier home games they ain't going to go to away games. Whereas (going back to the we finance Scottish football) we always take our full allocation.

Successful teams always have a large fan base, look at our attendance is the 80s and compare those with Dundee Utd and Aberdeen's. Now look at the attendances now. Clear link between being successful and having large attendances.

16 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

If teams merge then there’s one of those teams fans just don’t attend

They don't attend anyway.

On 12/04/2020 at 14:19, Blues Brother said:

I know we’re probably past this stage but would this solve all problems?

Promote current top 4 teams from championship.

Promote current top 4 teams from League 1

Promote current top 4 teams from League 2

Promote 2 teams from highland league and

Promote 2 teams from lowland league.

Prem 16 teams - Championship, League 1 and League 2 - 10 teams.

top league play each other home and away = 30 games.

League then splits into 4.

Top 4 play each other home and away for the championship. With top 3 getting into Europe. 

5th - 8th play each other home and away. 
9th -12th play each other home and away.

13 - 16th play each other home and away.

Then 9th plays 5th in a play off for Europe and the winner of that enter a final play off with 4th place. With the winner getting final place in Europe.

16th placed team will be relegated and 15th place enters relegation/promotion playoff with 2nd 3rd and 4th teams in Championship as it is now.

i think this would mean not many meaningless games throughout season. Also TV companies would get 4 old firm games.

This would mean NO relegation for any team. 
No titles being given away

I’m interested to hear your thoughts on this.

sorry mate but any talk of reconstruction would only be allowed if the scum benefited from it, honestly  thats it in a nutshell

20 hours ago, ZZed said:

2 leagues of 20 thats enough reconstruction.

I'm old enough to remember when it was 2 leagues of 18.  Unfortunately because Scotland only get 3 European slots through the league, (4 if Cup won by one of the top 3) even if you relegate 2 as it used to be there are too many mid table teams with nothing to play for by February. Normally ends up with us and them fighting out for first and second with in a good year 3 teams fighting for the 3rd spot. You then normally have 1 adrift at the bottom and say around 3 fighting to avoid being second bottom. That leaves over half the teams "safe" in the middle  That means on most weekends there are at least 3 or 4 games out of the 10 are virtually meaningless and crowds become even lower than today for these teams.   Playing each team 4 times and having the split is not ideal but it does mean most games are meaningful to the supporters of the mid table teams right through to April/May.  

I do think Scottish football needs reconstruction to make it more appealing to fans, but TV companies won’t pay the money currently on offer for less OF games.

In an idea world, its 2 leagues of 18 teams in the professional set up. Each team plays each other twice, so we get rid of the nonsense of playing sides 4 times before cups are factored in.

It will also allow clubs like Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hibs to put more distance between them and some of the smaller clubs. That will stop them panic buying and actually encourage more youth development, which will in turn help us and the taigs as there’ll be a better crop to poach from.

It would also benefit a whole host of other clubs as some of your smaller sides like Accies won’t be as threatened by relegation each year as they currently are. Again, allowing them greater stability and a longer term focus.

Yes, it inevitably gives us 2 less OF games, but it just means they’ll mean more when they come about. I doubt fans would grumble too much if you give them better opportunities of away days such as Somerset Park and other stadiums where we’ll get a massive away allocation.

30 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

I do think Scottish football needs reconstruction to make it more appealing to fans, but TV companies won’t pay the money currently on offer for less OF games.

In an idea world, its 2 leagues of 18 teams in the professional set up. Each team plays each other twice, so we get rid of the nonsense of playing sides 4 times before cups are factored in.

It will also allow clubs like Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hibs to put more distance between them and some of the smaller clubs. That will stop them panic buying and actually encourage more youth development, which will in turn help us and the taigs as there’ll be a better crop to poach from.

It would also benefit a whole host of other clubs as some of your smaller sides like Accies won’t be as threatened by relegation each year as they currently are. Again, allowing them greater stability and a longer term focus.

Yes, it inevitably gives us 2 less OF games, but it just means they’ll mean more when they come about. I doubt fans would grumble too much if you give them better opportunities of away days such as Somerset Park and other stadiums where we’ll get a massive away allocation.

What you say all sounds logical until you think about Accies versus Ayr in February where neither can make a European slot and are both safe from relegation. The game would he as well played behind closed doors for the nu.bers that will turn up. 

13 minutes ago, Brubear said:

What you say all sounds logical until you think about Accies versus Ayr in February where neither can make a European slot and are both safe from relegation. The game would he as well played behind closed doors for the nu.bers that will turn up. 

Just think accies vs ayr in the championship with the league set up as is now on a cold February night when they are 18 clear of the relegation play off and 16 off of promotion, would be as well behind closed doors for the numbers that will turn up 

Archived