Iconic Sports Films

Maybe a more suitable thread for the off topic, but I'll post it here anyways.  Iconic sports films. 

Thinking about it ain't been many, which is surprising given the global strength of sport, whether it be American football, and baseball, cricket in India/Packistan or of course the biggest sport of all, and the one which has had a huge cultural affect on every one on RM, football. 

So what are the greatest (or worst) sports films ? Which get your Oscar nomination and which get your  rotten tomatoes ?

I'll start with this. I am not a boxing fan, but this gets my vote way ahead of most others. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Escape to victory - Pele's overhead kick (with a broken arm no less)

Goal 1 , 2 , 3 - was totally shite iirc , started off as a player at Newcastle then moves to Real Madrid then by the third movie I think he wins the world cup. 

When Saturday Comes - was decent , starred Sean Bean . Unlike most football films the editing is shite but in this one Bean can actually play a bit . 

Don't think there is any real classic football films unless you can count I.D 

Just now, peter huistra said:

Escape to victory - Pele's overhead kick (with a broken arm no less)

Goal 1 , 2 , 3 - was totally shite iirc , started off as a player at Newcastle then moves to Real Madrid then by the third movie I think he wins the world cup. 

When Saturday Comes - was decent , starred Sean Bean . Unlike most football films the editing is shite but in this one Bean can actually play a bit . 

Don't think there is any real classic football films unless you can count I.D 

"The Damned United" Brian Clough one was okay, but the book was 10 times better. 

There's been a few really good football documentaries but I don't count them as films. 

7 minutes ago, tannerall said:

"The Damned United" Brian Clough one was okay, but the book was 10 times better. 

There's been a few really good football documentaries but I don't count them as films. 

Watched that recently , Sheen is totally convincing as Clough not much football in it , when he phones Revie it's both brilliant and sad at the same time .

Yeah I'd say that was one of the better football movies. 

41 minutes ago, left winger said:

9A3EED66-9405-4DC8-AE09-E24E5B43B146.jpeg

I totally forgot that existed :lol: 

33 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Mighty Ducks are the best, and not one person will make me believe otherwise

:bow: I became obsessed with Ice/Street hockey after that. Our whole area did. We had inter-area teams and played in tournaments :lol: amazing what a film could do. I still can't believe that came out in 1992.... wild! 28 years ago...

Then SpaceJam came out and everyone from 15-25 had a basketball.

3 hours ago, TheFamousPigeon said:

I totally forgot that existed :lol: 

:bow: I became obsessed with Ice/Street hockey after that. Our whole area did. We had inter-area teams and played in tournaments :lol: amazing what a film could do. I still can't believe that came out in 1992.... wild! 28 years ago...

Then SpaceJam came out and everyone from 15-25 had a basketball.

Another two that were about at that time were slapshot and youngblood.

We had an ice rink opened at the same time as well.

Archived