50 years 1971/2021 Our clubs saddest day

Am sure that there were only two routes out of the middle enclosure then, (before it became centenary stand)

One was out the back and round the side of the Copland Terrace reaching round to the bottom of stairway 13, the second was straight on to the Copland terrace and out via stairway 13. 

Even folk coming off the Copland Terrace coming down other stairs then turning left to get to Copland Road,exit ?

Those would obviously have flowed fans to the bottom and top of stairway 13 too, adding to congestion. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28/12/2020 at 17:21, JCDBigBear said:

Saddest day of my life.    I wish we never had to play on 2nd January ever again.

No mate . Surely you don't mean that . The best tribute the 66 can have , is having this tragedy remembered by the club and by the support on january 2nd  , until we are all well and gone . Just my opinion of course 

On 28/12/2020 at 14:35, Blue Nosed Babe said:

The BBC website has an article of this from the pov of the Markinch lads.

The programme aired years ago with the boys mother , still haunts me . Sadness does not do it justice . It made me shed some tears , i can tell you 

6 hours ago, TheJacketRFC said:

Excited for tomorrow in a small sense but the anniversary of this just takes over me and i just have an over whelming feeling of sadness.

Really is fucking sad man. 

55 for the 66.

I lIke that.:tu:

17 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

The programme aired years ago with the boys mother , still haunts me . Sadness does not do it justice . It made me shed some tears , i can tell you 

I tend to hide tearful emotions, not cos I'm tough, just to keep a sense of misplaced masculine dignity, but I shed a tear when I watched it too. 

The day started like any other at home. The 2nd was traditionally the day my folks hosted the rest of the family to celebrate New Year. My late Mum was a great cook and I remember helping her with preparations for what seemed like hours!

Finally, everyone arrived, had a dram to toast the New Year and then we all needed to eat, some more than others as they had already been on the drams!

The kitchen was all cleared up and then the music and singing started. We always had one of those now old-fashioned nights with music and everyone singing their song! I remember it as a good night.

Then suddenly it was brought to a very abrupt halt. My older cousin and his mate, who had been at the game, arrived and broke the news to us all about what had happened at Ibrox. 

As others have already recorded in the thread, we only had radio and tv for updates at that time. When the news came through about the scale of the disaster, I don’t think I have ever seen a house empty so quickly or silently.

A day that had started with so much anticipation ended in the most devastating way but we were amongst the lucky ones, my cousin and his mate, came home.

I hope those who lost loved ones take comfort that so many of us are still thinking of them, even after all this time has passed.

Forever in my thoughts and prayers are those who perished and did not return to their Family and Friends that day and who are still sadly missed by every true Rangers fan. 

On 31/12/2020 at 22:53, eejay the dj said:

I remember watching that one and the horror the parents must've been unbearable. I too shed many a tear watching it, it was IHMO better than the recent one. I don't honestly know that I could watch it again but anyone who hasn't seen it should make it their duty to find it in memory of the 66. Gone but not forgotten.:megaanguish:

2 hours ago, TEFTONG said:

IMG_20181228_193737.jpg

IMG-20181228-WA0024.jpg

The tragedy of our fans going to a football match and never returning to their loved ones will never be forgotten. 

My wife who is from Govan tells me about the continuing sound of sirens and that while she did not lose anyone close the feeling of sadness once it became known what had happened was terrible. 

:rip:

9 hours ago, BallochBear said:

I remember watching that one and the horror the parents must've been unbearable. I too shed many a tear watching it, it was IHMO better than the recent one. I don't honestly know that I could watch it again but anyone who hasn't seen it should make it their duty to find it in memory of the 66. Gone but not forgotten.:megaanguish:

Very good post mate .Thanks 👍🙏

My own father attended this game and it was his last ever old firm game.Two fans from his area in Greenock died.Never got to go to a old firm game till I was an adult. They are gone but never forgotten god bless them all.

13 hours ago, Bears r us said:

The tragedy of our fans going to a football match and never returning to their loved ones will never be forgotten. 

My wife who is from Govan tells me about the continuing sound of sirens and that while she did not lose anyone close the feeling of sadness once it became known what had happened was terrible. 

:rip:

We lived in Govan, about halfway between the Stadium and the Southern General, and that’s my abiding memory of that terrible night, the sound of the sirens through the fog.

Archived