50 years 1971/2021 Our clubs saddest day

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought it would be good idea to start a thread. For everyone to post some comments, in memory of this sad day . So with inspiration from Tannerall , here it is . Was hoping that maybe the Mods,

Best regards to @eejay the dj for starting this thread.  Will be interesting to see how our fans and our club choose to respect  this important anniversary, one   that will forever play  a core p

That day still haunts me. I usually went up on the Denny RSC bus but that day my mate and I drove through. We went in Stairway 13 as usual but for some unknown reason left by the side of the Main

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/06/2020 at 19:36, BloodRunsBlue said:

Great thread eejay. This tragedy is such an important part of our clubs history,  its 50th anniversary is going to mean so much to so many Bears.  Well done for making it and getting it pinned in its rightful place at the top of the forum.

Thanks to Dummisoot for doing that for us 👌

On 12/06/2020 at 19:36, BloodRunsBlue said:

Great thread eejay. This tragedy is such an important part of our clubs history,  its 50th anniversary is going to mean so much to so many Bears.  Well done for making it and getting it pinned in its rightful place at the top of the forum.

I was working in Markinch today.  A wee town just about 6 miles from where i grew up and still live now. As usual when I come here I was thinking about the 5 young local boys who all died on stairway 13 that day.

I was only 5 years old when the disaster happened, but when I first heard of that terrible story, I remember thinking   that small close community must have suffered so much pain and heartache.  Every person in that town would have been touched and affected by it.

Nobody should go off to watch a football match and never return home to their familys due to some cruel accident. Especially someones child.  It was justso sad and unfair.

Since then,  Markinch has always  been a  place of reflection and quiet thought for me.  Today was no different.

And that’s a brilliant post mate .👍

10 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Always reminds me of the documentary shown years ago .The mother of one of the boys from Markinch  telling her story .The pain in her recollection will haunt me forever .If you ever see this .It would make you greet

It had that effect on me  

Saw it a few years back and you could just see the pure anguish of the mother so obviously haunted by it. As a father and grandfather I can sympathise but hopefully never experience that level of pain. Like you it brought me to tears. 

I was 11. My dad and uncle were there in the main stand. I really thought they were going to surprise me with a ticket and I was gutted when I realized I wasn't going. Listened to the game on my transistor radio and remember running around the couch like a maniac when my favourite player Colin Stein equalized. I soon realized something was wrong. 

I remember that horrendous day so vividly. How time flies.

I knew a guy who's father died that day.

Zetland and eejay the dj like this
  • Badger unpinned this topic