SPFL Shambles

dummiesoot

An organization that can't find a sponsor can easily get donations? The fact that the new donor of £1.25m remains anonymous makes me suspicious and smells of shite. The corruption in Scottish football continues.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carrying on with an already ended season to play last seasons cup to a conclusion is a farce. That frees up some dates.

Could get worse if Hearts/Thistle get granted an interdict which they will ask for if the SPFL appear to be using delay tactics.

The old adage about 'couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery' is very appropriate when applied to the Scottish footballing authorities.

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Dundee have only sold 10% of their regular season ticket uptake (to this point) :lol: 

I know their league doesn't start until October - but that's still funny. Hope it stays at that level.

I believe the phase is 'Karma'.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

And Jimmy Nichol is the first fall-guy. He just got let go.

Nothing against Jimmy Nicol, but if he was a man of principle he'd have told them to ram it a couple months ago after the vote fiasco. 

I know he's not a millionaire footballer, he was around in the mid-80's so maybe I'm being harsh but I don't think whatever he earned at Dundee would be the difference between him being homeless and using food banks.

2 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Karma is them going bust. So there's a bit to go yet.

10% season ticket uptake is a start on that, tho.

Dundee, at one time, were a well respected club in Scottish football. It's this chap Nelms that has dragged their name into the gutter. If he stuck by his guns are affirmed his vote was No then all would be well. Fact that he is a spineless twat is what will, forever, have ruined their name.

13 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The Lance Armstrong of football.

rick roberts

2 days ago

The Lance Armstrong of football. A common call from celtic fans desperate to try and overstate Rangers FC use of then-legal tax-saving vehicles in the 2000s.

It misses the mark on many points, but crucially a truer parallel meriting the sobriquet would be their own club – celtic FC.

The parallel of doping in cycling would be doping in football. And doping programmes for footballers almost certainly exist at the top end of the sport. But that’s not the charge here.

Blood doping in cycling had a huge effect on the athletes and in the 90s it was rife. A sizeable majority of top riders and teams had their own doping programmes – which, in its own ironic way actually removes doping as Armstrong’s “biggest crime”. Facts are all of his main rivals at the time were doping. It’s true that without EPO and other aids then Armstrong wouldn’t have been able to compete. But then neither would his rivals, so in that regard the playing field was warped but fair.

So the slur falls back to financial doping. The only problem with that is that football is inherently financially unfair. Everybody is striving to improve their lot and any number of means are applied to extract advantage, which often fail the most basic morality tests. At the top of the pyramid teams arbitrarily have billions of pounds pumped in from oligarchs and sheikhs, similarly others have governments write off similar amounts in tax and to assist where they can. Football in the 90s and 00s were marked by players contracts getting more inventive. Media rights and all sorts of sponsorship monies and add-ons where being protected by well-payed tax experts and lawyers for their very well-payed clients. EBTs weren’t uncommon and were widely used in the UK. This is the context.

If tax avoidance and the public purse is your moral ad ethical gripe then plenty sought to dodge the public purse through fanciful film schemes, a loophole which was also closed up with time. But we know that for Rangers biggest detractors, it’s was never really about ethics or doing the right thing.

It is widely held view that Armstrong’s biggest crimes were his bullying and links with governing and anti-doping bodies – which is to say corruption. Armstrong is/was an alpha male and a very domineering and controlling figure. He literally forced riders out of races and out of the sport. He humiliated any one that stood up to him, let alone expose his methods. It got to the stage where press conferences attendance lists were personally approved by Armstrong. And he was able to lever this control by the force of his personality and from the weight of the money he brought into the sport. The equation is tried and tested – he made people money, so they backed him. Other teams saw benefit in this status quo. Manufacturers. Broadcasters. Sponsors. And presidents of the UCI and WADA.

Does this sound like anyone in Scottish football at the moment?

The links with UCI and WADA got a little too cosy. Arrangements were made that enabled, if not green-lighted, Armstrong’s programme. But perhaps his most reprehensible act is the accusation that he used the doping testing agency against his rivals. Perhaps he felt threatened as they were becoming too strong and offered a little bit too much of a challenge to his crown, perhaps he just liked the fact that he had control and could use it. Before that point the cycling doping omertà was very much honour amongst thieves – to then break that code sets Armstrong apart, it’s a departure from striving to improve your own lot to improving your lot through damaging your rivals.

I don’t know how common examples like this are in world sport or football, presumably the number of teams and vested interests form a natural barrier to corruption and an independent governing body prevails. However, i do suspect very similar plots have been hatched and carried through in Scottish football.

Anyone that follows the game in Scotland will be no stranger to patterns of proven unprofessional behaviour from celtic supporters targeting Rangers FC through their positions of employment. This goes from the man in the street, to the decision makers in the press, to people who held positions of considerable power at Westminster. It certainly makes the following both possible and probable.

In 2011 the sale of Rangers FC to somebody was inevitable. Murray wanted to sell and Lloyds Banking Group wanted him to sell. The sale to Craig Whyte may have all been above board in that respect. What’s more debatable is who brought Whyte to the table. With hindsight his remit was pretty clear, take Rangers into admin and eventually liquidation – in short, commence a campaign of wanton corporate vandalism against the club from the inside. The thing is this guy is a nobody, with little means, less clout, and no history or interest in football. And yet the sea parted for him to allow the devastation to unfold. It’s difficult to see how he could have arranged all of that on his own?

The Ticketus money. Duff and Phelps. Hand-picked administrators who only wanted to talk to Charles Green. Green and Whyte. The fact HMRC overlooked unpaid PAYE until it got to a level that gave them leverage in admin. A closed shop from the moment LBG facilitated the sale. One that left the club an empty shell and one saddled with burdens that would last until celtic planned to pick up their 10th title. So many coincidences. In the years preceding a former Home Secretary had been been on the celtic board. A man of means and contacts to open many doors. It’s almost certain that he spent his time lining up ducks, which would then be shot down in 2011.

Why did HMRC choose Rangers to make a point over EBTs? Like so many stories, the names and nature of the people involved in the key decisions come out over time and it’s easy to put two and two together and get the wrong answer. However, when people connected to celtic crop up at every single stage on the journey then you’re allowed to question coincidence. Were these people simply involved in process, or did they make themselves involved and push things in a certain direction?

The BBC for example. Members of their sports team certainly threw themselves to the fore to tell their side of the Rangers story (and still do). But it isn’t necessarily the merit or veracity of any story that rankles with Rangers supporters, it’s the fact that we know they would never deal with other clubs or subjects in the same manner. It’s bias. It’s hypocrisy. And given that the driver is tribal and the target is their rivals, then it’s an abuse and misuse of a position of trust. All at the tax payers expense I may add.

The import of the press cannot be over-looked. It’s a blanket to cover improper behaviour. It’s a mask to convince the public that certain actions are justified whilst conveniently omitting other details that damage the argument. It’s a form of corruption in itself and it’s often an integral part of the actual act of corruption, part of the fraud.

None more so than the recent 10th April, 2020, SPFL vote. This is the part where I copy and paste definitions from the internet.

What Constitutes a Bribe? Broadly, the Act defines bribery as giving or receiving a financial or other advantage in connection with the “improper performance” of a position of trust, or a function that is expected to be performed impartially or in good faith.

Bribery – means giving or receiving an unearned reward to influence someone’s behaviour. One common form of bribery is a “kickback” – an unearned reward following favourable treatment. Both are corrupt.

Corruption – is any unlawful or improper behaviour that seeks to gain an advantage through illegitimate means. Bribery, abuse of power, extortion, fraud, deception, collusion, cartels, embezzlement and money laundering are all forms of corruption.

It’s difficult to look at the actions of SPFL chief executive Neil Doncasters, his remuneration compared to his performance and come to any other conclusion than the SPFL is corrupt. Most of the definitions listed above resonant with him and his controlling cronies. The same few familiar faces and persons of conflicted interest that hold court at the SPFL and the SFA – and whatever they are up to it isn’t performance driven. The ONLY explanation for their rush to harry through the season-ending vote in April 2020 was that they, Doncaster/MacKenzie/MacLennan, wanted to ensure that celtic were ensured the title by avoiding the possible risk of the season being declared null and void due to the COVID pandemic. celtic pretty much rubber stanmped the corrupt by speaking out against an independent investigation into the farce. The recent vote held parallels to the Whyte fiasco, in that the SPFL enjoyed the backing of a sizeable chunk of the media. Almost unconditionally, regardless of subject. The obvious explanation is that the actions are being carried out for the benefit of celtic, so they were gifted their press bloc to hide the bodies.

Armstrong, doping, winning, money, press, governing bodies, corruption – repeat. So a similar cycle repeats with celtic, money, press, governing bodies, corruption, which leads to winning.

Armstrong had it all figured out. For a period of time he was untouchable. But he pushed it too far. He stepped over too many people. And eventually told one lie too many when eventually the right people started asking questions.

celtic FC are in a similar position. Lift the veil from their recent silverware and what sits underneath doesn’t glisten quite as much. The facts are that whatever has been won has been won in the boardroom. Maybe Rangers were due a fall, careless/reckless, but their main rivals conspiring to facilitate that push should see celtic as pariahs in football. The most reprehensible act. The punch from behind. The stick in the spokes.

From that moment forward they benefited, and anything after is tainted.

To make matters worse the corruption doesn’t end there. Rangers recovered, worked back and returned to the top flight. Still far from a full power and it was debatable whether Rangers were even yet a viable title challenger, such was the gap in club finances and the inferior starting point. celtic too hadn’t been idle, their people in positions of influence around sport had grown. The Compliance Officer at the SFA in 2018/2019 season saw over 10 citations for Rangers players, which eventually led to key players missing matches. celtic had no citations despite involvement in incidents of similar nature (note: this is fourth celtic supporter in a row to occupy this role, formed after celtic caused a referee strike in 2010, just in time for Rangers troubles!). It’s worth mentioning that much of the COs work came on the back of what the press (primarily BBC Sportscene) decided was an issue, where some of the editing is of questionable balance to say the least. Each of these systems are autonomous in their own right, but equally each of them has a duty to identify and prevent improper behaviour. But here, together, they were working is tandem to corrupt the game and apply favour.

The statistics on the performance from the referees makes worrying reading; namely, teams have been allowed rough treatment against Rangers, yet Rangers players are more readily booked. celtic figures show the opposite. This could be dismissed as an anomaly is one or even ten matches, but it’s there like a background noise, and in 2019, like 2020,  the effects were key players suspended after the turn of the year. Subtle yet effective. And wilfully eroding the spirit of football. You could argue if this is due to extreme external pressure from the press and supporters or an indicator of something more systematic at the SFA – either way, improper behaviour that seeks to gain an advantage through illegitimate means.

Another example, and a different angle of attack. Indirectly, the politicking continued at pace. The sectarian background to Rangers and celtic is no secret. And from that a campaign was waged to have Rangers more robust language punished, whilst celtics was quietly mitigated in the background. A campaign waged largely in the Scottish press and through outlets in Holyrood. But which achieved a level of success where by UEFA turned an eye to Ibrox, and thanks to persistently keen and dedicated hearing from celtic supporters acting for FARE (sic), they managed to extract fines and stadium closures from Rangers. Which affects football on the pitch, very much, directly.

I know I see these things from a Rangers point of view. Sometimes its an easy fit and convenient fit. But there’s not much of this article that is up for debate. Culturally, there exist people going out of their way to wilfully attacking Rangers FC. Maybe that’s the rival fans lot. Maybe not. Maybe it’s only a problem when the management or editorially level of companies and governing bodies start to allow the bias and unprofessional behaviour more fitting to the pubs after a match. Usually there are checks and balances to prevent that, but sometimes corruption succeeds. Certainly in Scottish football, many bodies of influence have went bad – they’ve forgotten what their role is and what sport actually is.

So the next time someone mentions a Lance Armstrong of football. You can look past the administrative paperwork to extract benefit from legal tax loopholes. And look instead at the systematic corruption of Scottish football and its supporting industries by celtic FC and its supporters.

That's a really good article and it does outline the similarities with the abuse of power from cfc, the press and the governing bodies. I'd like to see this info in a chart so it can be clearly seen how they have monopolised Scottish football. 

It would have been better for the Anderson guy to donate his money to the 30% who wanted an investigation so that they can do the ground work for a non corrupt break away league. When one business holds all the power, controls the narrative and influences the rules then the games a bogey.  

42 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Ironically this entire shitshow of getting the SC played to give them a chance to win an online treble which might mean scrapping the winter break might work out perfectly for us on the park

Agreed.

I think the fixture congestion puts Rangers at a disadvantage as we will need to play Europa league 19/20 The Scottish cup to a finish and the start of a new season in both.  They should wait until all clubs can play with fans before starting a new season, meanwhile clubs can finish the 19/20 season behind closed doors. Then when the 20/21 season starts they could extend the season until the competitions are finished. 

If clubs a struggling before the start of a new season then they can use the covid-19 money donated by Uefa and Anderson. I think our team will need Winter break to recoup unless we have enough players to be able to rotate the squad effectively to avoid burn out. 

27 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

That's a really good article and it does outline the similarities with the abuse of power from cfc, the press and the governing bodies. I'd like to see this info in a chart so it can be clearly seen how they have monopolised Scottish football. 

It would have been better for the Anderson guy to donate his money to the 30% who wanted an investigation so that they can do the ground work for a non corrupt break away league. When one business holds all the power, controls the narrative and influences the rules then the games a bogey.  

It’s actually sickening reading it ,highlights the situation that exists ,almost as sickening as when the tarriers start screaming unjust treatment because one of their players gets banned ,ban wasn’t worth the ink as the cunt was out injured anyway 

12 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Agreed.

I think the fixture congestion puts Rangers at a disadvantage as we will need to play Europa league 19/20 The Scottish cup to a finish and the start of a new season in both.  They should wait until all clubs can play with fans before starting a new season, meanwhile clubs can finish the 19/20 season behind closed doors. Then when the 20/21 season starts they could extend the season until the competitions are finished. 

If clubs a struggling before the start of a new season then they can use the covid-19 money donated by Uefa and Anderson. I think our team will need Winter break to recoup unless we have enough players to be able to rotate the squad effectively to avoid burn out. 

I realise the financial lifeline along with prestige Europe brings, however this year I think all of the focus should centre on the championship, even the cup competitions could be played by a rotated squad. Don’t like loosing to anyone but think we need to go all out for 55 this season...

44 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

It’s actually sickening reading it ,highlights the situation that exists ,almost as sickening as when the tarriers start screaming unjust treatment because one of their players gets banned ,ban wasn’t worth the ink as the cunt was out injured anyway 

I agree It is sickening.

I do remember the ban it was perfectly timed for his operation and gave the false impression that the refs actually do book that team, It sickens me how they avoid being booked time after time for their 'robust' and 'over exuberant' physicality.

For me, they are one of a few clubs who are Hatchet men, they try to bully our players and put them at the risk of serious injury. I wouldn't be surprised if cfc 'rewarded' other clubs to do an hatchet job on our team.

Dominating the game like this has an effect on our team chances in the domestic and European season through injury because of the poor governance. Also it effects the youths, because no right minded person would allow a youth player to be promoted to first team whilst the conditions are so corrupt. 

19 minutes ago, Robmc1 said:

I realise the financial lifeline along with prestige Europe brings, however this year I think all of the focus should centre on the championship, even the cup competitions could be played by a rotated squad. Don’t like loosing to anyone but think we need to go all out for 55 this season...

Agreed. 

I like to see the squad split into two for the new season. One team focusing on Europe and the other focusing on 55. I believe splitting the squad like this as worked in the past.

7 minutes ago, Sweetheart said:

Agreed. 

I like to see the squad split into two for the new season. One team focusing on Europe and the other focusing on 55. I believe splitting the squad like this as worked in the past.

It would be a real gamble but I think the majority of the support would go with it if we were going all out for the title👍...

The money to be gained through Europe and the coefficient points cannot be ignored. Plus the global standing.

We must play our strongest team in the return leg. No surrender.

The cards are stacked against us in Scotland. Biased refereeing, compliant officer, hammer throwers. In Europe we are on a level playing field which makes all the difference.

A huge if, but if we progressed in the Europa I would not be shocked if on our return from Germany we were faced with 4 games in as many days. 

'Got to make sure the season can be completed in time'. Well they have previous here.

If I were a philanthropist, I would give my money to sick kids, battered women, a cure for cancer or some other worthy cause. I wouldn't be given it to a corrupt organization like the spfl as an anonymous donor. And if my love for the lower leagues of Scottish football was that great, then I would personally write cheques to each football club.

The governing body are merely a representative to all 42 clubs and therefore transparency should always be first & foremost. Yet here we are once more with breaking news shroud in secrecy.

There is something extremely fishy in this new money. Dishing out to 28 clubs outside of the SPL only adds to 40 unless they slipped up and already have a new cunning plan for reconstruction making the SPFL 14 clubs.

35 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

If I were a philanthropist, I would give my money to sick kids, battered women, a cure for cancer or some other worthy cause. I wouldn't be given it to a corrupt organization like the spfl as an anonymous donor. And if my love for the lower leagues of Scottish football was that great, then I would personally write cheques to each football club.

The governing body are merely a representative to all 42 clubs and therefore transparency should always be first & foremost. Yet here we are once more with breaking news shroud in secrecy.

There is something extremely fishy in this new money. Dishing out to 28 clubs outside of the SPL only adds to 40 unless they slipped up and already have a new cunning plan for reconstruction making the SPFL 14 clubs.

It isnt 28 clubs outside the premiership though. Its the 28 club charity foundations across the four divisions.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

It isnt 28 clubs outside the premiership though. Its the 28 club charity foundations across the four divisions.

I'm a little confused mate. So 14 clubs aren't having charity foundations? Just 28? Even so, the math doesn't add up. Where is the rest of the money going?

6 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I'm a little confused mate. So 14 clubs aren't having charity foundations? Just 28? Even so, the math doesn't add up. Where is the rest of the money going?

Yes. 14 of the 42 clubs don't have  charity foundations.

First donation is £500k +£125k gift aid.

£280,000 of that is going to club's charities, £220,000 to 'Scottish Football United' and the remaining £125,000 is going to 4-4-2 Reading Challenge, A-Team, and Festive Friends (three existing SPFL trust projects).

https://spfltrust.org.uk/new-1-25m-funding-commitment-revealed/

4 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Maybe keep the rest as a bit of rainy day money, You just never know when a club may need a little nudge in the right direction when it comes to deciding which way to vote allegedly.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Yes. 14 of the 42 clubs don't have  charity foundations.

First donation is £500k +£125k gift aid.

£280,000 of that is going to club's charities, £220,000 to 'Scottish Football United' and the remaining £125,000 is going to 4-4-2 Reading Challenge, A-Team, and Festive Friends (three existing SPFL trust projects).

https://spfltrust.org.uk/new-1-25m-funding-commitment-revealed/

Thanks.

Yes, I forgot - suddenly we are Scottish Football United .

Archived