SPFL Shambles

dummiesoot

Middle-to-front when needing to win a game they've got the likes of Rogic, Biton, Elyhannousi (he's back on loan this season, isn't he?) & Griffiths who probably aren't guaranteed starters.

As it stands in reserve we've got Defoe (injured and past it), Davis (past it), Docherty/Middleton/Stewart/Barker (all shite), Jones & Murphy (who aren't the worst players in the world but Jones isn't fancied and will always be a squad option & Murphy who the jury is still out on now he's over his bad injury and back from loan), Arfield (whom I like but doesn't have the legs to play that engine anymore) and Kamara who just loves giving the ball away.

We might have slightly more in the numbers department middle-to-front, but ability-wise I'd rather call on the ones celtic have if they need to add to the likes of Forrest, Christie, McGregor and Edouard.

The 5 subs will defo suit them more than us, as it stands, just due to the squads atm.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Middle-to-front when needing to win a game they've got the likes of Rogic, Biton, Elyhannousi (he's back on loan this season, isn't he?) & Griffiths who probably aren't guaranteed starters.

As it stands in reserve we've got Defoe (injured and past it), Davis (past it), Docherty/Middleton/Stewart/Barker (all shite), Jones & Murphy (who aren't the worst players in the world but Jones isn't fancied and will always be a squad option & Murphy who the jury is still out on now he's over his bad injury and back from loan), Arfield (whom I like but doesn't have the legs to play that engine anymore) and Kamara who just loves giving the ball away.

We might have slightly more in the numbers department middle-to-front, but ability-wise I'd rather call on the ones celtic have if they need to add to the likes of Forrest, Christie, McGregor and Edouard.

The 5 subs will defo suit them more than us, as it stands, just due to the squads atm.

They've got better strength in depth, can call on more internationalist players from the bench, but imo our starting 11 is better.

More subs = more options and can only benefit the stronger clubs. Funny that as an added incentive for them this season.

We needed to improve our squad and I think we have done this summer. We also need to improve our starting 11 and the new CH may do that.  Still need quality though, starting 11 quality, especially if morelos goes which I now think is likely. 

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

They've got better strength in depth, can call on more internationalist players from the bench, but imo our starting 11 is better.

More subs = more options and can only benefit the stronger clubs. Funny that as an added incentive for them this season.

We needed to improve our squad and I think we have done this summer. We also need to improve our starting 11 and the new CH may do that.  Still need quality though, starting 11 quality, especially if morelos goes which I now think is likely. 

I agree absolutely with the improving the starting 11 quality. Of that there's no doubt. 

The squad strengthening I'm kinda "meh" on ... Bassy looks as bad as Halliday did at left-back, McLaughlin looks OK tbh but so was Wes as back-up, don't think this new center half is upto much ... Katic will be better .. he's maybe on a par with Edmunson ... so I don't really agree we've improved the squad, we've got rid of some shite/back-up's and literally just replaced them like-for-like. I'm not in the least bit excited by it (even though the signings had to be made)

We really need to start seeing some movement on the big names you rightly say we need for XI now.

15 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I agree absolutely with the improving the starting 11 quality. Of that there's no doubt. 

The squad strengthening I'm kinda "meh" on ... Bassy looks as bad as Halliday did at left-back, McLaughlin looks OK tbh but so was Wes as back-up, don't think this new center half is upto much ... Katic will be better .. he's maybe on a par with Edmunson ... so I don't really agree we've improved the squad, we've got rid of some shite/back-up's and literally just replaced them like-for-like. I'm not in the least bit excited by it (even though the signings had to be made)

We really need to start seeing some movement on the big names you rightly say we need for XI now.

I actually think we have improved our cover even if it is minor, Bassey hasn't looked amazing but has more upside than Halliday with him still being young, McLaughlin looks very assured so far IMO and I don't have much qualms about putting him in if Mcgregor gets injured.

I always expected the centre half to be that kind of signing, bit of experience on a short term deal while Katic is out and Helander is a doubt, he could end up being utterly pish or brilliant only time will tell but I think people are being a bit quick to just write him off.

I agree with seeing movement for the XI now however just now it will be very difficult with half the league's still ongoing or just finishing.

1 minute ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

I actually think we have improved our cover even if it is minor, Bassey hasn't looked amazing but has more upside than Halliday with him still being young, McLaughlin looks very assured so far IMO and I don't have much qualms about putting him in if Mcgregor gets injured.

I always expected the centre half to be that kind of signing, bit of experience on a short term deal while Katic is out and Helander is a doubt, he could end up being utterly pish or brilliant only time will tell but I think people are being a bit quick to just write him off.

I agree with seeing movement for the XI now however just now it will be very difficult with half the league's still ongoing or just finishing.

Agreed with McLaughlin but I also felt the same with Wes.

I honestly think Bassy will look as bad as Halliday when filling in at left-back. Zero positional sense too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually saying we shouldn't have signed these guys. We literally had to even if they are all underwhelming signings. I just think we've replaced like-for-like with really average players. 

I just don't think the squad itself has been strengthened at all. We've still far too much dead wood who won't contribute the way we demand (or used to demand) but you can put that to one side, provided we get the 3 first team signings nailed down now. 

It all hinges on that

1 minute ago, British_Empire said:

Agreed with McLaughlin but I also felt the same with Wes.

I honestly think Bassy will look as bad as Halliday when filling in at left-back. Zero positional sense too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not actually saying we shouldn't have signed these guys. We literally had to even if they are all underwhelming signings. I just think we've replaced like-for-like with really average players. 

I just don't think the squad itself has been strengthened at all. We've still far too much dead wood who won't contribute the way we demand (or used to demand) but you can put that to one side, provided we get the 3 first team signings nailed down now. 

It all hinges on that

Tbf , we more than most , have made changes during the pandemic . 

Im not disputing your point  , in that we have to improve the squad  , and time will tell whether we have , but we have made changes , during the most difficult of situations , where others have struggled to . 

4 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Tbf , we more than most , have made changes during the pandemic . 

Im not disputing your point  , in that we have to improve the squad  , and time will tell whether we have , but we have made changes , during the most difficult of situations , where others have struggled to . 

I know we’ve made changes mate but I don’t agree we’ve actually strengthened overall. It’s like for like imo at the moment 

Just now, British_Empire said:

I know we’ve made changes mate but I don’t agree we’ve actually strengthened overall. It’s like for like imo at the moment 

I'm not disputing that , my point being most have done nothing through this pandemic , at least we're one of the few that have tried . 

Now whether that's successful time will tell , but because of the situation right now not many players are available , I think we're one of the few that , at least , have tried to make changes . 

1 hour ago, ForeverAndEver said:

5 subs is a shambles, get it so far to fuck

Remember 2008...

...They then reached the final with a penalty shootout victory against Fiorentina. They played Zenit Saint Petersburg, managed by formed Gers boss Dick Advocaat, in Manchester on 14 May. Rangers lost the match 2-0, with over 200,000 fans in the city to see the game. When asked if the SFA should have extended the season to benefit Rangers, Ally McCoist said: "They were a disgrace. It was embarrassing. I think the Russian federation cancelled Zenit's three or four games previously. I think we played something like eight games in eighteen days. It might just sound like sour grapes, but no: any other country in the planet, the association would have helped the team. If you're asking me if it was wrong, it was completely and utterly wrong."

Grow the fuck up !!!!

6 hours ago, British_Empire said:

We've got rid of 6 who barely contributed. 

Bassey looks raw, ropey at times, but a better fit for what we want as a full back than JF or AH. The keeper seems good, so not much change there.

LB may well become a permanent starter and will be the most experienced CH we have. Hagi signed permanently.

Not a bad state of affairs given the financial downturn caused by the pandemic.

I believe Alfie is going, that will kick-start us bringing in a couple of forwards and maybe one more midfielder.

I'd prefer it all done by now but its unusual and changed days with leagues still playing.  Has any club done more than us transfer wise?

7 hours ago, ForeverAndEver said:

5 subs is a shambles, get it so far to fuck

Can u imagine the time-wasting substitutions at the end of the game, it would be a nightmare , 

Last 5 mins 3 subs , not for me.

16 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

Can u imagine the time-wasting substitutions at the end of the game, it would be a nightmare , 

Last 5 mins 3 subs , not for me.

Can make 5 subs, but like now only on a maximum of 3 occasions. So little change really in terms of time wasting.

13 hours ago, BlueThunder said:

Not sure how I feel about the possible increase in subs bench. On the one hand it could help us as we have a bigger squad than everyone bar the filth. On the other hand, there is a drop off of levels in our non first-team compared to the filth. They might benefit more from it than us in that sense, whereas we might have a better overall top 14. I’m kinda undecided on this one.

I honestly think it will make very little difference . Maybe on one hand it will benefit teams like ourselves and the scum . I'm not really getting too worked up over it tbh

7 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Still far too much deadwood, no squad depth. I think our first 11 if we get a decent RW in is more than good enough to win a league title, the trouble is a few injuries and suspensions and we’re fucked.

Had a look the other day at the fixture list and if we make the Europa group stages again then we will have to play something like 10 or 11 games in December alone. Many games scheduled to be only 2 days apart.

Last seasons Scottish Cup should have been binned along with this seasons Betfred to ease the congestion.

But no. It's a case of we will allow up to 5 subs. As if that is any kind of a solution.

Just when one thinks they can't possibly get even more incompetent they manage it.

Not looked back but my mate said the SPFL had lost the vote to cancel the season if a second wave of Covid hits during this season. Thank fu@k but no doubt there will be another vote asking the same question in just a slightly different manner.

Just now, BroonBear said:

Not looked back but my mate said the SPFL had lost the vote to cancel the season if a second wave of Covid hits during this season. Thank fu@k but no doubt there will be another vote asking the same question in just a slightly different manner.

Your mate is right. They lost the vote but somehow forget to mention the numbers so it must have been a big defeat.

1 minute ago, BroonBear said:

It lost but I've not seen the number of votes for / against revealed. Wouldnt imagine many clubs other than those represented on the spfl Board would have backed it after this season's shambles. 

7 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Had a look the other day at the fixture list and if we make the Europa group stages again then we will have to play something like 10 or 11 games in December alone. Many games scheduled to be only 2 days apart.

Last seasons Scottish Cup should have been binned along with this seasons Betfred to ease the congestion.

But no. It's a case of we will allow up to 5 subs. As if that is any kind of a solution.

Just when one thinks they can't possibly get even more incompetent they manage it.

It’s a great source of income and respectability however this year I’d be more than happy to drop out of Europe early and fully concentrating our resources and personnel on league business. That is where the priority lies atm...

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Never rated either JF or AH, however they did at times make valuable contributions like Midjtylland and Warsaw away. Maribor, Villarreal and scum etc.

Bassey at the moment looks nowhere near capable of such performances. He needs time. I think if Barisic has injury problems we are in real trouble. Not convinced Bassey has the qualities we need in an attacking sense even for games against St Mirren and Hamilton.

They did, I'd say more in a defensive context though which affected the overall balance of the team. Neither offered what Gerrard looks for in a full back which is the wing back type ability.

Bassey has looked decent and willing going forward imo in the little I've seen of him. Definitely questionable performances defensively.

I'd agree he's not ready now should Borna be out. He's going to have to rapidly get up to speed in training even to reassure as back up should he get minutes here or there.  

I still think it was right to move on Halliday and Flanagan.

52 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

Still far too much deadwood, no squad depth. I think our first 11 if we get a decent RW in is more than good enough to win a league title, the trouble is a few injuries and suspensions and we’re fucked.

Up until the recent friendlies my priority was a strong rhs attacker ,But having watched the new system I don’t see where this guy would fit in ,and a new player would need to be pretty good to get a place ,

Kent and Hagi swapping sides both are pretty 2 footed getting somebody good enough to take one of these places will cost a good few quid ,I reckon the only place we will strengthen now is striker and that will depend if Morelos stays or goes ,if he stays then it’s a cheap option and if he leaves we need to spend as much as we can to replace him while still fitting in the wage structure 

9 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Up until the recent friendlies my priority was a strong rhs attacker ,But having watched the new system I don’t see where this guy would fit in ,and a new player would need to be pretty good to get a place ,

Kent and Hagi swapping sides both are pretty 2 footed getting somebody good enough to take one of these places will cost a good few quid ,I reckon the only place we will strengthen now is striker and that will depend if Morelos stays or goes ,if he stays then it’s a cheap option and if he leaves we need to spend as much as we can to replace him while still fitting in the wage structure 

Was thinking similar re the RW.

I think we'll sign Zungu and one striker if Morelos stays or 2 strikers if he goes, which I think he will.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Can make 5 subs, but like now only on a maximum of 3 occasions. So little change really in terms of time wasting.

Never knew that , thanks 

So just standard time wasting 🙄 

Archived