SPFL Shambles

dummiesoot

36 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

Up until the recent friendlies my priority was a strong rhs attacker ,But having watched the new system I don’t see where this guy would fit in ,and a new player would need to be pretty good to get a place ,

Kent and Hagi swapping sides both are pretty 2 footed getting somebody good enough to take one of these places will cost a good few quid ,I reckon the only place we will strengthen now is striker and that will depend if Morelos stays or goes ,if he stays then it’s a cheap option and if he leaves we need to spend as much as we can to replace him while still fitting in the wage structure 

Main worry is depth. Kent and Hagi have looked great in preseason in this new setup. But an injury and I'd worry about who is coming in. 

I'd say as well as a striker we also need another midfielder. I think both davis and arfield are past thier best. Drop off in that 2nd half vs Motherwell was huge once they came on. Another stronger midfield option is needed. 

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jbm26896 said:

Can u imagine the time-wasting substitutions at the end of the game, it would be a nightmare , 

Last 5 mins 3 subs , not for me.

You still only have three opportunities to bring on subs, so it really doesn't matter much. 

3 hours ago, Robmc1 said:

It’s a great source of income and respectability however this year I’d be more than happy to drop out of Europe early and fully concentrating our resources and personnel on league business. That is where the priority lies atm...

Somewhat disagree. Europe generates a lot money and allows the better players to view Ibrox in a different light when it comes to transfers. What Gerrard must do is balance both and while going as deep into Europe as possible also win the league.

Certainly in domestic cups I would just let the development squad play in the Betred while letting the 1st team concentrate on Europe and the title.

3 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

I honestly think it will make very little difference . Maybe on one hand it will benefit teams like ourselves and the scum . I'm not really getting too worked up over it tbh

Tbh with Gerrards reluctance to making subs I don't see us using the extra subs unless injury dictates it bud....possibly what I would like to see is Patterson getting brought on more if the game is done, start giving the lad 20/30mins in games we have a minimum 2 goal advantage, surely that helps us more in the long run than just having to thrust him in if Tav gets a knock 

4 minutes ago, hammer93 said:

Tbh with Gerrards reluctance to making subs I don't see us using the extra subs unless injury dictates it bud....possibly what I would like to see is Patterson getting brought on more if the game is done, start giving the lad 20/30mins in games we have a minimum 2 goal advantage, surely that helps us more in the long run than just having to thrust him in if Tav gets a knock 

If Tav is out for any reason then it won't faze me in the slightest to see Patterson on the team sheet. On the other hand, on what I have seen so far, Bassey is not a fit replacement for Borna.

20 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

Somewhat disagree. Europe generates a lot money and allows the better players to view Ibrox in a different light when it comes to transfers. What Gerrard must do is balance both and while going as deep into Europe as possible also win the league.

Certainly in domestic cups I would just let the development squad play in the Betred while letting the 1st team concentrate on Europe and the title.

Any other season I would run with this GiC, but as you said we could possibly be looking at playing potentially 10-12 games in December including Europe, is this feasible  without damaging our league campaign. Atm we don’t have the strength (quality) in depth to deal with important player injuries or plain fatigue. It’s a calculated risk but as well as looking to regain the league title there is the CL rewards if we can sustain the challenge. ‘Show me a good looser and I’ll show you a looser’ is a philosophy I’ve held through life but if ducking out of Europe means  increasing the  title campaign chance then I could live with it on this occasion. I’ll agree to disagree here mate but either way the league in my mind has got to be the priority...

6 minutes ago, Robmc1 said:

Any other season I would run with this GiC, but as you said we could possibly be looking at playing potentially 10-12 games in December including Europe, is this feasible  without damaging our league campaign. Atm we don’t have the strength (quality) in depth to deal with important player injuries or plain fatigue. It’s a calculated risk but as well as looking to regain the league title there is the CL rewards if we can sustain the challenge. ‘Show me a good looser and I’ll show you a looser’ is a philosophy I’ve held through life but if ducking out of Europe means  increasing the  title campaign chance then I could live with it on this occasion. I’ll agree to disagree here mate but either way the league in my mind has got to be the priority...

You make some good points but I still maintain that winning in Europe and winning league games should not be beyond our squad.

To give the starting XI recovery time I would excuse them from domestic cups. It's all about setting targets in what will be a very congested season.

3 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

You make some good points but I still maintain that winning in Europe and winning league games should not be beyond our squad.

To give the starting XI recovery time I would excuse them from domestic cups. It's all about setting targets in what will be a very congested season.

To clarify, I do fully expect ‘SG‘ to push as far as possible in Europe and the Scottish cup, hopefully your correct and we can shoulder the burden. When we win both I’ll reserve you the right to come back to me with ‘I told you so’👌👍...

41 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I'm not sure about playing development squad in the betfred.

We all want the league of course. But getting the first trophy won could be a big step towards that.

It releases pressure of not having won anything yet. It also installs a new mentality and hunger into the side that only success can bring. 

2 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

I'm not sure about playing development squad in the betfred.

We all want the league of course. But getting the first trophy won could be a big step towards that.

It releases pressure of not having won anything yet. It also installs a new mentality and hunger into the side that only success can bring. 

That is nothing more than my opinion.

Gerrard will have the final say as is only right.

I just have my doubts that in a such a congested season we can look to compete on all 4 fronts. I simply suggest that targets should be set.

1 hour ago, Boybluesy said:

So, no news then.

The cynic in me says sfa holding back on  release of judgement to give hom/pt ,as little time as possible to lodge court proccedings to stop start of season.

25 minutes ago, ricksen92 said:

The cynic in me says sfa holding back on  release of judgement to give hom/pt ,as little time as possible to lodge court proccedings to stop start of season.

Surely Budge would have that sussed. It can only be about coming to a compensation agreement. Then the fun should kick off.

2 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

If Tav is out for any reason then it won't faze me in the slightest to see Patterson on the team sheet. On the other hand, on what I have seen so far, Bassey is not a fit replacement for Borna.

Losing Tav for any decent length of time would be pretty horrific for our chances to be honest.

I know lots of people like having a dig at him, but he is genuinely one of our best players.

On 25/07/2020 at 14:06, GersInCanada said:

Totally agree, I've said for a while now we need one team to focus on Europe and the other to focus on domestic football. We also need good squad rotation so that the players don't burn out by Christmas. I think this is the way forward as the club doesn't have the cash to spend on players that can play on both fronts consistently.

On 25/07/2020 at 16:50, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Losing Tav for any decent length of time would be pretty horrific for our chances to be honest.

I know lots of people like having a dig at him, but he is genuinely one of our best players.

It’s not just his individual play it’s the role he plays in the system ,Same with Barasic ,when they are on their game they are like having an extra man with the job they do 

I honestly think our board are happy with second in our league . That may not sit well with many but I think it's true . SG bailed them out of any criticism after the pedro fiasco .

He is such a draw ,the money they are bringing in with ST and MYgers . That is all they care about . And let SG do his bit  and hope for the best

4 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

Totally agree, I've said for a while now we need one team to focus on Europe and the other to focus on domestic football. We also need good squad rotation so that the players don't burn out by Christmas. I think this is the way forward as the club doesn't have the cash to spend on players that can play on both fronts consistently.

Still think that as long as PlanB remains doing Plan A better we will struggle at some point domestically during the season unfortunately and consequently  ..................... nah canny even bring myself to say it.

4 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Given that SPFL has lost the covid powers vote and they lost the vote  calling the league, Dundee voted no, if they lose the arbitration with Hertz and PT should Rangers bring a vote of no confidence?

Yes 100%, we should. Clubs don't trust them with covid powers and you've got to imagine a large compensation pay out to hearts/thistle would be the final straw. 

However can't rule out these bastards finding another way to cling on. 

Archived