Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Surely that means getting in an experienced manager who can get the absolute best out of bargain basement players than continuing with someone massively inexperienced who so far has shown a complete inability to learn anything.

I've yet to see a name be mentioned where I've thought they'd be a definite improvement on Gerrard.

Gio or De Boer would be two huge risks. Unbelievably huge risks. That worked for them with Jansen but for me we lost 10 in a row rather than they won it, Jansen was a fluke rather than a game changer for them.

1 minute ago, DrLaudrup said:

It's fair to look for the next Andy Robertson, and Hickey isn't a bad player but i'd need a massive amount of convincing to think he's even half as good as the first pick Croatian international left back. He's been part of a generally poor Hearts side over the season also and celtic would be due some of the transfer fee which doesn't sit well with me. Is he going to come in and take us to the next level? One poor game and his confidence will be destroyed.

Can Hickey no play left or right back? Young guy, could develop and can cover 2 positions where we don’t have any decent  cover.

If the price is right, worth a punt id say.

Defo not going to take us to the next level but looking at the starting 11 I don’t think gerrards priority will be to replace Tav or Barisic tbh.

Just now, gazza27 said:

Plenty on here didn't want him as manager 

I'm not saying Gerrard hasn't made mistakes but I still think he is the best man for the job.

Sometimes I don't like his substitutions or his stubbornness with Tavernier but he has a lot of upside.

The Gerrard question is a big headache tbh. There's no right or wrong answer. 

People who want him to stay, their opinion's aren't exactly wrong because you can't deny he has done a lot of good. He's obviously got us doing brilliantly in Europe, made the club a hell of a lot of money, have big players that want to come and play for Rangers because of his name and has us being able to beat the taigs after a few seasons of routine pumpins (some of them embarrassing)

We've also finally established second place in the league - which, let me be clear, is no achievement, but finishing 3rd to Aberdeen previously for a couple of season's then it's a small (very small) step in the right direction too.

However, when the fenian cabal in Scotland shoehorn this seasons Scottish Cup into next seasons calender, celtic have won another 2 trebles on his watch & we've finished double figures behind them twice in a row despite us being able to beat them but then collapsing against the shite in the league due to his ridgid formations and not being able to see past it or change a game.

He's bought well in some aspects but wasted a lot of money on some shite in other areas. Of course not every manager get's 100% of signings spot-on but the issue is a lot of the shite one's it's not with the benefit of hindsight.

He's got his favourites (Tav and Goldson mainly) who never get dropped despite error after error.

Making James Taverneir is captain is the most baffling decision I've ever seen.

So with that said, the one's that want him gone aren't wrong, either.

All that said, I'm totally torn.

If he's to go, we will never get another name as big as him as our manager, but I'm confident we could get a better manager.

I don't think Gerrard will ever win us the league, but I do think if the next appointment is of a decent standard he could win us the league if he builds on the good work Gerrard has done. But I don't think the man to do it is Gerrard.

Very intelligent, knows the game, genuine World Class player but there's something about it he just doesn't get. He never learns from the very basic mistakes (the same mistakes he's made from day one)

I don't think the DOF's help him either. I think they just muddy the waters big style in terms of responsibility and accountability. I've as many reservations about this wee Ross Wilson guy as I did Mark Allan. 

The scary thing I see though is our board giving him a 3-year extension before anythings won just at the back of a good spell of form - the done the same giving these same contracts to Davis, Defoe and a few others too. We got excited and threw more money at them, a gamble thinking we were going to win the league IMO and now we've perhaps tens of thousands more tied up in wages every week needlessly. That's another reason I think the ones running our club are amateurish at times (me being kind)

10 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

it's gonna be a long summer listening to this shite....

You think Rangers sign Kent or Hagi without Gerrard?

I can see this turning into a hate the gaffer thread.

Did Dado Prso sign for us because of Alex McLeish? 

12 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

You think we will have much in the way of a transfer kitty? That’s going to be the main limiting factor, we can scout all the cunts in the world but won’t matter if we can’t buy them.

Looks like the club are freeing up wages from dead wood early and now the retail/kit deal is happening that should help, If we don’t throw the kitchen sink at this next window the games a bogey.

I thought not mate, but if the reports are true and we've spent 4-million on Hagi then perhaps that Far East investment is still in the pipeline so we might be surprised.

On 19/05/2020 at 16:50, STEPPS BOY said:

Hagi could be the 15-20 goal, 10-15 assists, number 10 that we are looking for - if used properly.

Unfortunately we are likely to play him out wide if we sign him.

This. I could see that boy shining behind a striker, slipping players in, taking defenders on, scoring goals, instead we would waste him out wide. 

8 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

Ffs, wasn’t there so didn’t know that was a thing 😂😂 ridiculous considering the end result 

Aye 8 minutes in all the wee diddies gave him an applause ..... Hamilton went on to win 1-0.

Absolute rid neck man.

1 minute ago, Bigdave30 said:

Can Hickey no play left or right back? Young guy, could develop and can cover 2 positions where we don’t have any decent  cover.

Defo not going to take us to the next level but looking at the starting 11 I don’t think gerrards priority will be to replace Tav or Barisic tbh.

You make a fair point but then i'm not sure the value in replacing squad players with another squad player, even if they have potential. Also, if you look at recent Scottish players we've bought they've made zero impact - Hastie away on loan, Docherty away on loan. If he isn't going to take us to the next level we need to look way or I worry it will be more of the same next season. Historically if we are going to buy Scottish players, like Ian Ferguson, Davie Robertson, Alan McLaren etc from other sides they need to be able to not only walk into our team, but also make an impact over a season and handle the pressure of playing for us. While there are good players I'm just not sure I see anyone across the divisions thatI think could do that for us - although I hope i'm wrong. 

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I don't think the DOF's help him either. I think they just muddy the waters big style in terms of responsibility and accountability. I've as many reservations about this wee Ross Wilson guy as I did Mark Allan. 

Wether it’s a Sporting Director or Director of Football, football is so vast now you can’t expect the manager to do every single thing nowadays. You need someone at that level providing a coordinating role at the very least. 

8 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

Aye 8 minutes in all the wee diddies gave him an applause ..... Hamilton went on to win 1-0.

Absolute rid neck man.

I do back Gerrard but I’m not into giving him an applause when we’ve faltered so badly 

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

Wether it’s a Sporting Director or Director of Football, football is so vast now you can’t expect the manager to do every single thing nowadays. You need someone at that level providing a coordinating role at the very least. 

I didn't say he doesn't need help with co-ordination, I'm specifically talking about those 2 individuals. 

That said, to contradict myself a bit and play devil's advocate - big teams like us has a head of scouting, head of sports analysis, fitness team, recovery team, chief executive's that agree salaries during signing talks, dieticians and heads of just about every other department - having a DOF provided he's the right person and the nature of his job is clearly outlined could be ok I suppose but a DOF at us without doubt muddies the waters - Mark Allen got the finger pointed at him at some of our piss-poor signings and apparently this Ross Wilson has been doing talks with the team at the Hummel Training center after a couple of poor results. There's things that the manager should be in 110% control of.

I need convinced tbh.

17 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

Don't really understand the hype with Hickey tbh

4 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

You make a fair point but then i'm not sure the value in replacing squad players with another squad player, even if they have potential. Also, if you look at recent Scottish players we've bought they've made zero impact - Hastie away on loan, Docherty away on loan. If he isn't going to take us to the next level we need to look way or I worry it will be more of the same next season. Historically if we are going to buy Scottish players, like Ian Ferguson, Davie Robertson, Alan McLaren etc from other sides they need to be able to not only walk into our team, but also make an impact over a season and handle the pressure of playing for us. While there are good players I'm just not sure I see anyone across the divisions thatI think could do that for us - although I hope i'm wrong. 

I think considering the chance we have had over the last few years to blood young players coming through the leagues our recent history of developing players has been abysmal.

Going by the way the youth team is progressing we might start to see a generation of young guys coming directly through our own ranks which is promising.

Im the same really mate, there isn’t a ‘best of the rest’ that really jumps out as someone who would dramatically improve the starting 11 but that’s what the scouts get payed the big bucks to notice.

4 minutes ago, Amato said:

Don't really understand the hype with Hickey tbh

He could be a good value signing, he’s young, can cover 2 positions where we are really light as we’ve shifted Flanagan and Halliday, and could possibly develop into a good player, he wouldn’t improve the starting 11.

If the price was right, worth a punt.

9 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Gerrard isn’t going anywhere at the moment so there’s absolutely no point in discussing it again tbh. :lol:

If COVID-19 didn't happen he'd have lost the majority of the support imo the way the season was going. 

He absolutely has to win the first available trophy next season or its curtains. 

I personally don't have any confidence in Gerrard being able to win us the title. He and his staff have proven they cannot learn the lessons they need to. He even admitted himself after Tynecastle in January he has no idea how to prevent it from happening again. It did happen again, multiple times over, before culminating in losing at home to Hamilton whilst they cunts dropped points away to Livi ffs. 

How does Gerrard stop the players from caving in to the pressure for the third season in a row?
This time it's going to be much worse as well. The captain and our £7m man both let every cunt and their dog know they cannot handle the pressure of domestic football, and/or when the diddy teams get stuck into us. Why is that all of a sudden any different next season? Practically did every cunts team talk for them.

Our style of football that saw early success completely vanished come January. How does he get that back?

How does Gerrard and the team all of a sudden start beating the teams we constantly struggle with?
Like Aberdeen (3 wins in 10) or Killie (4 wins in 10) for perfect examples. 

In both seasons under him we've thrown away 5 and 4 games respectively from winning positions at really important stages of the season. We've also only won more than 5 league games in a row once under Gerrard, when the season was already wrapped up and the pressure was off. It's been the same pattern of shite domestically under him in both seasons. Even in the cups - we make Hampden in the league cup both years but fuck it up and we can't even make Hampden in the Scottish Cup ffs.

I think he's very, very lucky the league was shut down when it was because that meltdown we were in was ready to spiral right out of control. Two OF's to play/lose, still had to go away to the sheep and other teams we've consistently struggled against as well. I think a good chunk of our support are forgetting just how bad we were after the 29th. Looking like a different team against Stranraer, scraping past St Mirren / hibs / Livi all at home, Ross County away, the two tynecastle results, Hamilton at home, St Johnstone away, everyone. It was fucking shocking!

So how does all that change for this coming season to see us lift the title? 

Archived