Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

If Tav is staying then I'd like to see Nathan Patterson as his back up.

Who is our left back at youth level; is it James Maxwell?

Similar instead of buying guys like Barker or loaning Ojo and King, I'd like to see us giving Young-Coombes, Kennedy etc a chance.

Have myabe 16/17 quality players fighting for 11 positions and then the rest youth.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, B1872 said:

If Tav is staying then I'd like to see Nathan Patterson as his back up.

Who is our left back at youth level; is it James Maxwell?

Similar instead of buying guys like Barker or loaning Ojo and King, I'd like to see us giving Young-Coombes, Kennedy etc a chance.

Have myabe 16/17 quality players fighting for 11 positions and then the rest youth.

Instead of signing players like Barker and Ojo we should just actually sign good players and still not rely on untested youth players. 

I see were being linked with Kamberi today.  If it was cheap enough I wouldn’t be against it.  Kent and Hagi aside or options in those wide areas (or number 10 roles) are pretty limited.

42 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I doubt if we sell anyone once the window opens. Prices are going to be way down. 

Its twofold mate. Without selling, we can't buy. I expect two or three players in and out.

10 minutes ago, TMB said:

I see were being linked with Kamberi today.  If it was cheap enough I wouldn’t be against it.  Kent and Hagi aside or options in those wide areas (or number 10 roles) are pretty limited.

If you can get Kamberi for £250k or less, it’s a good piece of business. 

Hibs fans don’t rate him, but I think he chucked it there a long time ago. When he first came to the SPFL, he looked like a real player. 

17 hours ago, Born Sinner said:

Can’t see anything on the Armstrong rumour? 

Would be a title winning signing for us IMO. Great player, and exactly what we need if he was fit. 

Never happening though.

1 hour ago, ayrshireranger said:

True, but as George Graham once said, you cant show your grandkids your cheque stubs. You can show them your medals and caps.

It's a nice soundbyte, but I'm sure 99.999% of kids these days would rather their grandparent left them a million quid than Scotland or England cap

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

Instead of signing players like Barker and Ojo we should just actually sign good players and still not rely on untested youth players. 

That’s where I’m saying have 16/17 first team players fighting for the first team then have the kids.

The kids need a chance as well or we’ll just end up bringing in the same rotten 3/4th choice players.

Plus I’m sure Kevin Thomson was saying Patterson was very similar talent wise to Gilmour. 

Boy deserves a chance. 👍🏻

2 hours ago, STEVEH said:

Do we think Morelos will still be here next season ? I was convinced he was off before the pandemic but not sure now as clubs will be tightening their belts and may view Morelos as too much of a gamble in the current financial climate. 

I think Morelos will still  be with us next season.

His late return  after  generously being given the time to deal with family issues will not sit well with prospective employers,  nor will his lack of form post break.

Some may even argue he downed tools,  if so it raises even more questions  about his temperament which must be seriously beginning to impact upon his career ambitions. Surely the lad must see this.

21 minutes ago, B1872 said:

That’s where I’m saying have 16/17 first team players fighting for the first team then have the kids.

The kids need a chance as well or we’ll just end up bringing in the same rotten 3/4th choice players.

Plus I’m sure Kevin Thomson was saying Patterson was very similar talent wise to Gilmour. 

That's not enough first team players. 

I'm sorry but my motto is that the youth are shite until proven otherwise. The fact is we haven't produced a youth player good enough for the first team in a decade, other than MacLeod which was in lower divisions. Ross McCrorie made it into a worse team but can't make it in now. Even Ness and McCabe went on to have nothing careers. 

Also Patterson is not similar talent wise to Gilmour. They are the same age and Gilmour is established in the Chelsea first team while Patterson has played once against Stranraer.

33 minutes ago, B1872 said:

Paterson was likened to Gilmour? Different positions, different styles, did he mean potential or football attributes or what?

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Would be a title winning signing for us IMO. Great player, and exactly what we need if he was fit. 

Never happening though.

Hasn’t been too prolific with Southampton but then again he is playing in the EPL.

Can’t see it myself either though.

Galatasaray have joined the race to sign Charlton and Montserrat international striker Lyle Taylor, 30, who says he will not play for the club again as his contract expires this summer. (Mail)

Matty Longstaff is out of contract at the end of the month, and as he is under 20 Newcastle Utd will only be due £400k in compensation. We should be all over that. 

8 minutes ago, STEVEH said:

Matty Longstaff is out of contract at the end of the month, and as he is under 20 Newcastle Utd will only be due £400k in compensation. We should be all over that. 

Supposedly being offered 30k a week, would be our highest paid player. Decent player tho 

2 minutes ago, chris182 said:

Supposedly being offered 30k a week, would be our highest paid player. Decent player tho 

Udinese have reportedly offered a £30k a week, 5 year deal. Sounds like a story planted by his agent to prompt Newcastle to pull their finger out and up their contract offer, but if he genuinely wants out then I would like to see us go for him. Good player who would add a bit of bite to our midfield and he can play.

I like Kamberi and wouldn't be against us signing him, however, considering Defoes age he will likely be 3rd choice striker next season and as we only require 3 strikers we will probably need a higher quality back up for Morelos (if he stays) than Kamberi.

I can see us going for a similar type to Morelos who can play the lone role and hold the ball up, wouldn't be surprised to see us go back in for one of those French strikers as they seemed to fit the bill.

4 hours ago, STEVEH said:

Udinese have reportedly offered a £30k a week, 5 year deal. Sounds like a story planted by his agent to prompt Newcastle to pull their finger out and up their contract offer, but if he genuinely wants out then I would like to see us go for him. Good player who would add a bit of bite to our midfield and he can play.

Does he have a bit of steel about him? Think our midfield misses bite. 

Archived