Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

2 hours ago, The Monk said:

I like Kamberi and wouldn't be against us signing him, however, considering Defoes age he will likely be 3rd choice striker next season and as we only require 3 strikers we will probably need a higher quality back up for Morelos (if he stays) than Kamberi.

I can see us going for a similar type to Morelos who can play the lone role and hold the ball up, wouldn't be surprised to see us go back in for one of those French strikers as they seemed to fit the bill.

I like Kamberi as well  but problem will be that we will need to play him in the centre to get the best out of him.

If Buff stays would his ego allow him to be moved to a role more akin to that played by Sadio Manè at Liverpool , doubtful as it has repeatedly been shown Freddo doesn't play well with others sadly.

What do people think about this Peruvian lad Tapia , seem to remember him having a decent game against us ?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Does he have a bit of steel about him? Think our midfield misses bite. 

His brother Sean is the better player, Mattys only made a few appearances and is only on £850p/w currently. 

One of the guys I work with in Tynemouth plays golf with both brothers. Theyre cousins of Alan Thompson

On 02/06/2020 at 14:51, Broxi said:

That's not enough first team players. 

I'm sorry but my motto is that the youth are shite until proven otherwise. The fact is we haven't produced a youth player good enough for the first team in a decade, other than MacLeod which was in lower divisions. Ross McCrorie made it into a worse team but can't make it in now. Even Ness and McCabe went on to have nothing careers. 

Also Patterson is not similar talent wise to Gilmour. They are the same age and Gilmour is established in the Chelsea first team while Patterson has played once against Stranraer.

is that you Walter? 

14 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Not really the point you were making though was it? 

I think you'll find that it was

We have not produced a single player in the last 10 years who has made a good enough contribution to the first team and should therefore not be relying on the ones currently in the youth setup to be within the core players of the squad.

Billy Gilmour was not good enough/ready to be in our first team at the time that he was here either. We therefore did not produce a youth player capable to play in our team to a high enough standard. Because we failed to actually produce him. And while he was actually a Rangers player he was not ready to be in the first team.

9 minutes ago, Broxi said:

I think you'll find that it was

We have not produced a single player in the last 10 years who has made a good enough contribution to the first team and should therefore not be relying on the ones currently in the youth setup to be within the core players of the squad.

Billy Gilmour was not good enough/ready to be in our first team at the time that he was here either. We therefore did not produce a youth player capable to play in our team to a high enough standard. Because we failed to actually produce him. And while he was actually a Rangers player he was not ready to be in the first team.

He was 15 when he left.

16 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

He was 15 when he left.

Exactly. Nowhere near our first team. As I said. Which is my point.

Our best youthful hope in a decade was a 15 year old who Chelsea snapped up easily. Yet people want to have 8 first team players in the squad be youth players in the season to stop 10 in a row. 

16 minutes ago, Broxi said:

Exactly. Nowhere near our first team. As I said. Which is my point.

Our best youthful hope in a decade was a 15 year old who Chelsea snapped up easily. Yet people want to have 8 first team players in the squad be youth players in the season to stop 10 in a row. 

He’d have got a run out at some point when 16 and signed professional contract.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

He’d have got a run out at some point when 16 and signed professional contract.

But he didn't. Even if he made appearances, he wouldn't have been a key first team player.

Even if we do include him, it's still 1 player in 10 years. But we shouldn't include him, because he never made a single appearance for us. 

We could very well have the genuine next Messi at the club as a 14 year old, it doesn't matter if he'll never make it to the first team. 

3 hours ago, Broxi said:

Name one youth player who has genuinely been good enough to play for Rangers at this level in the last 10 years

John Fleck.

But I get your point mate, we have been awful at promoting youth. McCoist had the chance but was too scared and thought an experienced Ian Black would be better (to name one). 

5 minutes ago, Broxi said:

But he didn't. Even if he made appearances, he wouldn't have been a key first team player.

Even if we do include him, it's still 1 player in 10 years. But we shouldn't include him, because he never made a single appearance for us. 

We could very well have the genuine next Messi at the club as a 14 year old, it doesn't matter if he'll never make it to the first team. 

But we did produce him. We took him on board at 8/9 year old and developed him into a player who’s now bossing games in EPL.

He chose Chelsea, might have stayed if Gerrard was manager, but we got a good deal out of it.

It’s unfortunate but that’s what happens when the club is what it was back then.

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Mckay.

He is the closest we've came. And coming from someone who was a fan of McKay, most people weren't devastated to see him go. He was also just on loan to Fleetwood and has amassed 1 Scotland cap. 

The whole thing this has stemmed from is... do you want to have a third of our current first team squad made up of youth players? And if the answer isn't no then your judgement is worrying.

Like it or not we have not had the level of successes of Tierney, Forrest or McGregor at Rangers where we have produced key first team players.

I would accept McKay, because the argument is inclusive of sub players too and I think McKay would still make our first 11 or at least the bench just now. But other than him there is nobody. 

Just now, bluenoz said:

John Fleck.

But I get your point mate, we have been awful at promoting youth. McCoist had the chance but was too scared and thought an experienced Ian Black would be better (to name one). 

Even him we probably wouldn't have taken back until about 8 years later after he left. 

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

But we did produce him. We took him on board at 8/9 year old and developed him into a player who’s now bossing games in EPL.

He chose Chelsea, might have stayed if Gerrard was manager, but we got a good deal out of it.

It’s unfortunate but that’s what happens when the club is what it was back then.

I'm not saying we didn't develop him. 

But he was not produced (as in given to us) by the academy as a player to be ready to play in the first team

3 hours ago, Broxi said:

Name one youth player who has genuinely been good enough to play for Rangers at this level in the last 10 years

If Lewis Macleod wasn’t built like crisps he’d be at a high level now.

1 minute ago, G.E.C. said:

If Lewis Macleod wasn’t built like crisps he’d be at a high level now.

If Liam Burt could skin 10 players and score from 40 yards he'd be at Barca right now

8 minutes ago, Broxi said:

The whole thing this has stemmed from is... do you want to have a third of our current first team squad made up of youth players? And if the answer isn't no then your judgement is worrying.

Agree.

Unfortunately in a squad of 22, you'll come to a stage where you could maybe have  2 or 3 suspended, 2 or 3 injured, and 2 or 3 off form. Add the extra goalkeeper and that leaves you having to play 5 or 6 youngsters from your squad. 

Hence the reason most squads seldom include more than a couple of youngsters. 

I think McCrorie has a decent chance of making it with us as McGregors replacement. Patterson desperately needs a loan to a team in the premiership, even our best youngsters seem to go out on loan to lower end Championship and League One clubs, which in itself could be a disappointing reflection on our setup. We need to send them out to teams in our league to properly test their ability at this level, I’m surprised we aren’t able to loan players like Patterson or McPake for example to a Hamilton or St Johnstone.

19 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

We need to have sell-on clauses that give us a % if the player move on. We don't do this enough. 

I heard (not sure if true) that the taigs get 30% of Hickey's transfer if he moves on. He played for them at u18.

We should have got more for Gilmour. I know it was his decision to leave but we are not the best negotiators or at least weren't. At least Wilson renegotiated Hagi so hopefully we become stronger in that department..

Archived