Squad Ins and Outs Discussion

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Broxi said:

People on FF are talking about Tapia from Feyenoord being linked. Something about his agent mentioning us and the manks being interested. 

He would be good but I would rather have Leroy Fer.

23 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I heard we are linked with Ivan Toney. Peterborough fans sing a song about the size of his tadger.  I wonder what FARE would think of that? Ha!

Could always use to get a few inches advantage over   defenders 🤔😉

1 hour ago, Broxi said:

He is the closest we've came. And coming from someone who was a fan of McKay, most people weren't devastated to see him go. He was also just on loan to Fleetwood and has amassed 1 Scotland cap. 

The whole thing this has stemmed from is... do you want to have a third of our current first team squad made up of youth players? And if the answer isn't no then your judgement is worrying.

Like it or not we have not had the level of successes of Tierney, Forrest or McGregor at Rangers where we have produced key first team players.

I would accept McKay, because the argument is inclusive of sub players too and I think McKay would still make our first 11 or at least the bench just now. But other than him there is nobody. 

I think partly those three would have made it there anyway but also partly that they hugely benefited from us being down the divisions and so the same pressure wasn't at celtic to win all games at all costs.

Mckay pisses me off, I don't know if the boy just doesn't care or if it's because he doesn't believe in himself and lacks that arrogance that's needed to be a top player but ability wise and all the attributes he has in terms of pace, touch, vision, passing range he should be an EPL player. No doubt those who don't rate him (of which there are plenty) will be out in force to say he's shite etc. but ask Krancjar or anyone else who played with him.

26 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I fear our young players are going to suffer this year as it is a must we stop 10.

I agree sadly. Past couple of years we've had a right good wee group, some go and the ones replacing them seem to be just as good or better for that level.

It's just a shame for them that this is probably our biggest ever season since our own 9IAR (the one we actually won) and we can't afford to experiment too much.

Right group of players,
Right set-up and personell.
Wrong time.

3 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

I agree sadly. Past couple of years we've had a right good wee group, some go and the ones replacing them seem to be just as good or better for that level.

It's just a shame for them that this is probably our biggest ever season since our own 9IAR (the one we actually won) and we can't afford to experiment too much.

Right group of players,
Right set-up and personell.
Wrong time.

i.e. Kelly going back to Ayr would be a step backwards for the lad but there is no chance we can afford to have him find his feet in our midfield next season.

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

i.e. Kelly going back to Ayr would be a step backwards for the lad but there is no chance we can afford to have him find his feet in our midfield next season.

Yeah defo a step backwards.

I see the attraction in them teams for them to toughen them up and get a taste of competitive first team football, but part of me often things too is it really worth it? they rarely seem to come back from these teams Rangers first team ready (with a couple of exceptions in Adam and McGregor) but that's 15 or so years ago too. 

I just don't know the solution tbh. I really don't.

I've got a fucking opinion on just about everything :lol: but not one on how to bridge this gap between the talented youngsters and easing them into the first team and being ready for it.

If there was a coach on earth that could do that, chances are he wouldn't be working for us either tbh.

If any of them are to become as good as we need, and if they generally be good enough to warrant a place on our bench in most seasons, they should be able to play regularly on loan at most SPL teams this coming year, hopefully doing us the odd favour whilst there in terms of scrapping for points.

Loan them all out - if they succeed, the prize is playing for us the year after.

15 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s getting more and more difficult to develop and get to first team.

Anyone good enough is in danger of being prized away by English or Foreign teams for decent money.

I think that's definitely part of the problem. Anyone on the level of a Barry Ferguson or Gilmour will probably be taken off our hands long before they get the chance to play for our first team.

Mcpake is the pick of the current bunch for me albeit from only seeing him in a few of those youth cup games and the odd Scotland youth game, but he's not currently anywhere near good enough at first team level to shift anyone out of the team.

20 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s getting more and more difficult to develop and get to first team.

Anyone good enough is in danger of being prized away by English or Foreign teams for decent money.

Decent money? What did we get  for Gilmour £600K,  peanuts in today's game IMO

4 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

I think that's definitely part of the problem. Anyone on the level of a Barry Ferguson or Gilmour will probably be taken off our hands long before they get the chance to play for our first team.

Mcpake is the pick of the current bunch for me albeit from only seeing him in a few of those youth cup games and the odd Scotland youth game, but he's not currently anywhere near good enough at first team level to shift anyone out of the team.

Mcpake has fell away mate.

Patterson, Dapo, Kai Kennedy and the young boy King

9 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s a development fee, he hadn’t signed a deal yet.

I know but that's the way things are going , these big clubs go round hoovering up all the talent and it appears it's a practice I can only see being expanded as  time goes on.

11 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

I know but that's the way things are going , these big clubs go round hoovering up all the talent and it appears it's a practice I can only see being expanded as  time goes on.

We do the same. Hopefully we do even better. Its just making the most of the rules.

54 minutes ago, frenv said:

If any of them are to become as good as we need, and if they generally be good enough to warrant a place on our bench in most seasons, they should be able to play regularly on loan at most SPL teams this coming year, hopefully doing us the odd favour whilst there in terms of scrapping for points.

Loan them all out - if they succeed, the prize is playing for us the year after.

I would say young Kelly is a step up from Docherty for the 5th or 6th midfield position. Whether we curb his advancement by doing that, I'm not sure.

This Tipia Guy seems to be a very good tackler of the ball.  There’s videos of him on YouTube doing nothing else but winning the ball in midfield.  Apparently Gerrard was impressed by him when we played Feyenoord.  

8 minutes ago, TMB said:

This Tipia Guy seems to be a very good tackler of the ball.  There’s videos of him on YouTube doing nothing else but winning the ball in midfield.  Apparently Gerrard was impressed by him when we played Feyenoord.  

Yeah I mind his name and in relation to reports/stories that he's impressed Gerrard and on our radar. 

I must admit, opposition players rarely stand out against us when I'm watching - not in the sense that they aren't having great games, I just tend to focus on our players - even off the ball.

But from what I hear this guys a good player. Tarriers sniffing too.

9 hours ago, British_Empire said:

Yeah I mind his name and in relation to reports/stories that he's impressed Gerrard and on our radar. 

I must admit, opposition players rarely stand out against us when I'm watching - not in the sense that they aren't having great games, I just tend to focus on our players - even off the ball.

But from what I hear this guys a good player. Tarriers sniffing too.

They can't be too confident with that player they signed in Jan for £2 million then. Surprised by that seeing as Lawell had every cunt with a laptop bill him as the new Kante 

2 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

They can't be too confident with that player they signed in Jan for £2 million then. Surprised by that seeing as Lawell had every cunt with a laptop bill him as the new Kante 

Didn’t he move to genk? Kouassi??

Archived