Plans to convert Albion Car Park !!

Bears r us

This was pointed out in another thread but it probably needs it's own one. 

From Glasgow Live https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/Rangers-ibrox-flats-albion-car-18285635

Plans to convert Albion Car Park by Ibrox Stadium into major residential development

160 flats would be built across from Rangers' stadium, at the junction of Broomloan Road and Edmiston Road.

Plans for a major residential development next to Rangers' Ibrox Stadium have been unveiled.

It's proposed part of the Albion Car Park site, at the junction of Broomloan Road and Edmiston Road, be converted into 160 flats across two four-storey buildings.

An online public consultation on the move is seeking feedback on the plans, produced by Merchant Homes in conjunction with Graeme Nicholls Architects.

Merchant Homes have confirmed: "A Proposal of Application Notice was submitted Glasgow City Council on 17th March 2020 outlining the intentions of Merchant Homes Partnerships Limited to develop the site."

The proposals state: "Our ambition for the Albion site is to create a residential development that is both sympathetic to and celebratory of, the history of the area. The site has gone through a number of iterations over the years including former uses as a greyhound stadium, and training ground. The historical and current association with sports on the site is something we are keen to express in our design for the new development."

Meanwhile, it is hoped the design and colour of the development would be in keeping with the historic main stand at Rangers' stadium: "Historic maps show that the site contained a greyhound track with a ‘bowl’ footprint which we think would be interesting to express in any new development. This plan form also fits the site really well.

"In terms of housing as a typology, the established model in the Ibrox area is tenemental perimeter blocks of 4 stories, and we are proposing this as the model for our own development too.

"We are proposing a development of circa 160 flats which will be fully compliant with the new ‘Glasgow Standard’ design standards.

"The form of our proposal consists of two horseshoe plan blocks built up of uniform brick bays featuring stacked windows with arched tops. This form alludes to both the formal consistency of historic tenement blocks found in Ibrox, and also some architectural features typically associated with sports buildings and stadia."

You can view the online public consultation and plans in full here.

AHI_Public_Consultation_Information (1).pdf

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

This was pointed out in another thread but it probably needs it's own one. 

From Glasgow Live https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glasgow-news/Rangers-ibrox-flats-albion-car-18285635

Plans to convert Albion Car Park by Ibrox Stadium into major residential development

160 flats would be built across from Rangers' stadium, at the junction of Broomloan Road and Edmiston Road.

Plans for a major residential development next to Rangers' Ibrox Stadium have been unveiled.

It's proposed part of the Albion Car Park site, at the junction of Broomloan Road and Edmiston Road, be converted into 160 flats across two four-storey buildings.

An online public consultation on the move is seeking feedback on the plans, produced by Merchant Homes in conjunction with Graeme Nicholls Architects.

Merchant Homes have confirmed: "A Proposal of Application Notice was submitted Glasgow City Council on 17th March 2020 outlining the intentions of Merchant Homes Partnerships Limited to develop the site."

The proposals state: "Our ambition for the Albion site is to create a residential development that is both sympathetic to and celebratory of, the history of the area. The site has gone through a number of iterations over the years including former uses as a greyhound stadium, and training ground. The historical and current association with sports on the site is something we are keen to express in our design for the new development."

Meanwhile, it is hoped the design and colour of the development would be in keeping with the historic main stand at Rangers' stadium: "Historic maps show that the site contained a greyhound track with a ‘bowl’ footprint which we think would be interesting to express in any new development. This plan form also fits the site really well.

"In terms of housing as a typology, the established model in the Ibrox area is tenemental perimeter blocks of 4 stories, and we are proposing this as the model for our own development too.

"We are proposing a development of circa 160 flats which will be fully compliant with the new ‘Glasgow Standard’ design standards.

"The form of our proposal consists of two horseshoe plan blocks built up of uniform brick bays featuring stacked windows with arched tops. This form alludes to both the formal consistency of historic tenement blocks found in Ibrox, and also some architectural features typically associated with sports buildings and stadia."

You can view the online public consultation and plans in full here.

AHI_Public_Consultation_Information (1).pdf 25.68 MB · 2 downloads

I have no doubt these plans will get the go ahead from GCC and once the building development is completed The Residents of the new development will be used as a stick to beat The Big Bad Rangers with, Noise, Vandalism, Sectarianism, You name it, Can see it a fucking mile off.

2 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

I have no doubt these plans will get the go ahead from GCC and once the building development is completed The Residents of the new development will be used as a stick to beat The Big Bad Rangers with, Noise, Vandalism, Sectarianism, You name it, Can see it a fucking mile off.

I only noticed this in another thread, it is on the car park site so no idea where all that vehicles will go IF it ever happens. I assume Rangers own all that land??

6 minutes ago, MorelosRangers said:

We are also looking to purchase land nearby? We will still keep some of the Albion car park too 

Any extra info would be welcome mate, most of us only found out about these plans tonight. 

2 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

I only noticed this in another thread, it is on the car park site so no idea where all that vehicles will go IF it ever happens. I assume Rangers own all that land??

Not sure who owns the land mate but I'd bet my last pound that if or rather when these plans get the go ahead it will be to the disadvantage of Rangers.

Just now, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Not sure who owns the land mate but I'd bet my last pound that if or rather when these plans get the go ahead it will be to the disadvantage of Rangers.

I was assuming we owned it and we would make a lot of money for the Club, just have no parking.

IF Rangers do not own the land then anything could happen. 

9 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Yeah, it won’t be an Emirates Stadium that gets built next to Ibrox...

12 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

Rangers own it according to Registers of Scotland, so assuming we will at least be making a bit of money out of this if it goes ahead:

image.thumb.png.5bc891690e8efe239ab409d2a64280bd.png

7 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Words are easy mate.

Hollicom not made you realise that yet?

I am not in anyway saying this is good mate, the company info seems OK but as you say words are easy.

I  assume we would need to make a lot of money from the ground sale for it to have that huge complex of houses so near to Ibrox.

33 minutes ago, crombie1873 said:

Rangers own it according to Registers of Scotland, so assuming we will at least be making a bit of money out of this if it goes ahead:

image.thumb.png.5bc891690e8efe239ab409d2a64280bd.png

Making the whole area around Ibrox even more of a shit hole for generations!? Bit of money in now tho, happy days.

Seems to be the route the current board are taking tbh.

39 minutes ago, Paisley Blue Loyal said:

These are not going to be cheap flats.   There will be nothing to beat us with.  

Apparently the reason it’s such a fuck up is because it stops any main increase to capacity. 

Although we need the club to come out and clarify the situation and reasoning behind the sale.

44 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Anyone else finding our current board “wanting” ?

15 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Making the whole area around Ibrox even more of a shit hole for generations!? Bit of money in now tho, happy days.

The plans look pretty good.   These flats will improve the area.   They are not going to be social housing.

3 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

These are not going to be cheap flats.   There will be nothing to beat us with.  

Hopefully you are right but I'm not so sure, Nice shiny expensive new apartments with no doubt some of the mock offended living in them then add into the mix 50,000 mostly bears in the vicinity on match days, What could go wrong.

5 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

The plans look pretty good.   These flats will improve the area.   They are not going to be social housing.

Is there not a law that states that any new developments must include social and affordable housing?

As an aside, those flats would be a brilliant investment as buy to lets or Air B&B's.

Archived