The players.

Shoukd our players  be volunteering  by now as a squad to  reduce their wages by 50% to help the club during this epidemic? I know they pay the extra 20% for all staff we  furlonged , but is that enough?    

Once again we fans are buying our season tickets with no idea  if we will even get to a game next season, yet we paid up in full in our thousands even after the paltry £25 voucher ( That you can't even use ito buy the new kit) the club gave us when the season came to an abrupt end.

It would be a good gesture from the squad to the club and would cement a bond with the fans who are doing all we can to support the club in such difficult  and strange times.   

Here's hoping, but the modern day footballer are far more selfish than players gone by and that is down to the amount of money clubs throw at them.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morden day footballers live in a bubble and no matter what they say like " this club runs in my blood" and "I'm a boyhood fan" they don't care  all the money they furloughed they will get back.

The 3 months deferred wages worries me. Thats a few million needing to be paid further down the line.

I'm not saying the players should have given up wages for 3 months and got nothing. No matter what job you're in, that's not fair.

But i do think they could have cut their wages down to 60/70% for 3 months. And we could have added in more bonus potential for winning the league.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Excellent, another thread to blame players for earning their contracted salaries.

Only asking should the players now be doing their bit?   This covid19 is going nowhere fast and the club is losing money hand over fist and if it was not for fans renewing their season books then fuck knows where we would be.  

Its not like they can't afford it,  how many fans can't afford their season books just now yet renewed?  But hey fuck asking the players to help out the club. 

20 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Shoukd our players  be volunteering  by now as a squad to  reduce their wages by 50% to help the club during this epidemic? I know they pay the extra 20% for all staff we  furlonged , but is that enough?    

Once again we fans are buying our season tickets with no idea  if we will even get to a game next season, yet we paid up in full in our thousands even after the paltry £25 voucher ( That you can't even use ito buy the new kit) the club gave us when the season came to an abrupt end.

It would be a good gesture from the squad to the club and would cement a bond with the fans who are doing all we can to support the club in such difficult  and strange times.   

Here's hoping, but the modern day footballer are far more selfish than players gone by and that is down to the amount of money clubs throw at them.

Do you work?would u work for 50% of ur wage ?cause I wouldnt football players should be no different imo

5 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

No, just because they are well payed doesn’t mean they should automatically take a wage cut. 

But CB how long can we continue as a club to pay them full wack?  Until crowds are back and sponsors are back etc  we will struggle as every penny will be going to,the players who could easily take a wage cut till say September and then see where we are at with covid19 then.

2 minutes ago, Steelydan1690 said:

Do you work?would u work for 50% of ur wage ?cause I wouldnt football players should be no different imo

I don't earn thousands and stay in a big house with a bank balance to choke a horse Ffs.  

And for Rangers yes I would take a cut as such a difficult time . Are you saying you would still demand your full contract if you played for Rangers ?

25 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Only asking should the players now be doing their bit?   This covid19 is going nowhere fast and the club is losing money hand over fist and if it was not for fans renewing their season books then fuck knows where we would be.  

Its not like they can't afford it,  how many fans can't afford their season books just now yet renewed?  But hey fuck asking the players to help out the club. 

The players have contracts. They're entitled to it. If the club want / need the savings then we sell them. 

What if players can get the same salary elsewhere, why would any player remain at a club unless it suits their individual circumstances . Take it you're then have a go at them for not showing loyalty.

Who the fuck are you to say what players can or cant afford? 

13 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Slight difference from gardening leave to playing on for seasons on 50% of what you're entitled to. But fair point, welcome back 😁

I know it is , but they should have done it from say the start of this and reviewed it monthly with the club and as soon  as football is up and running again then they are back on their contract rates.  

I feel as if it would be a great geasture by the players and the media coverage we would also get from it. Players are seen as greedy , selfish etc and this would make the  media all over 

5 minutes ago, Steelydan1690 said:

They’ve not been working tho.  Everyone else that’s not been working has suffered. I’m just playing devils advocate because I don’t know if they should or shouldn’t. 

4 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

But CB how long can we continue as a club to pay them full wack?  Until crowds are back and sponsors are back etc  we will struggle as every penny will be going to,the players who could easily take a wage cut till say September and then see where we are at with covid19 then.

We have all renewed or at least a good percentage of us have, the spare ST’s will be snapped up. We just signed a new retail deal with 3 mill up front, MyGers has got going, new investment is still on the way and will be here end of the year. 
You can’t be asking folk to take bigger wage cuts and then splash out 4 mill on a new player, and before folk say aye but we won’t spend that all upfront it’s still money in the outbox   

7 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Should we attempt to sign new players on 50% wage cuts from what we would normally offer?  Cracking strategy.

Or maybe just wait til the ink is dry then we can slate them for showing no loyalty by not dropping their wages by half.

Just now, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The players have contracts. They're entitled to it. If the club want / need the savings then we sell them. 

What if players can get the same salary elsewhere, why would any player remain at a club unless it suits their individual circumstances . Take it your then have a go at them for not showing loyalty.

Who the fuck are you to say what players can or cant afford? 

Who's gonna buy players just now ?   Clubs are trying to save money just now and transfer fees are the last thing from their minds. 

Yes they have contracts and yes they are entitied to them but what about there so called love for the club?  

As I said I think it would be a great gesture from the squad.

It's unprecedented times and everyone is having to pull together, I guess it would be a good gesture. However, if any didn't want to do it you certainly couldn't hold it against them.

Who'd be more likely to do it is interesting too.

Would the higher paid players think - fuck this, I know what I'm worth, it's not my fault this has happened, I'd rather go elsewhere? Would they think I'm on a really good contract here and out of respect I'll have a wage cut because I could afford it.

It's just my personal opinion but I think the lower paid players would be more likely to say yes to this. Although they have less money coming in, they might be of the opinion they'd be less likely to get as much elsewhere. They might be less further ahead in their career, and less likely to have such a demand for money.

I'm grossly generalising, but it would be interesting seeing how players would accept this.

I personally think that some of them would see us trying to sign 5m Hagi, then would wonder why they should take a wage cut when they're spending that kind of money strengthening the squad.

2 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

I know it is , but they should have done it from say the start of this and reviewed it monthly with the club and as soon  as football is up and running again then they are back on their contract rates.  

I feel as if it would be a great geasture by the players and the media coverage we would also get from it. Players are seen as greedy , selfish etc and this would make the  media all over 

They should have? So you're now criticising them for not being on half pay. Excellent supportive stance you have there.

Media coverage would be Rangers cant afford to pay contracted wages, it wouldn't be a positive spin at all.

9 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

I don't earn thousands and stay in a big house with a bank balance to choke a horse Ffs.  

And for Rangers yes I would take a cut as such a difficult time . Are you saying you would still demand your full contract if you played for Rangers ?

Does matter how much they earn ,they have Bills like the rest of us ,I would expect any employer to honour my contract Rangers or not ,working is not a charity case 

3 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

We have all renewed or at least a good percentage of us have, the spare ST’s will be snapped up. We just signed a new retail deal with 3 mill up front, MyGers has got going, new investment is still on the way and will be here end of the year. 
You can’t be asking folk to take bigger wage cuts and then splash out 4 mill on a new player, and before folk say aye but we won’t spend that all upfront it’s still money in the outbox   

MYGERS scheme ? Is a disgrace no two ways about it, and I know we have all these deals etc but we don't know when we the fans etc will be allowed back in.  We could be playing next season behind closed doors to after new year easily and that will cost the club money.  

10 minutes ago, Copland bear said:

Who's gonna buy players just now ?   Clubs are trying to save money just now and transfer fees are the last thing from their minds. 

Yes they have contracts and yes they are entitied to them but what about there so called love for the club?  

As I said I think it would be a great gesture from the squad.

They are paid to play for the club. 

You want them to love the club on one hand but have the club cutting their agreed salary by 50% on the other. Do you love who you work for, and would you love them as much if they did the same to your pay cheque?

Ffs sooner this lockdown is over, and we can get back to just hating them for being shite players, the better.

3 minutes ago, Steelydan1690 said:

Does matter how much they earn ,they have Bills like the rest of us ,I would expect any employer to honour my contract Rangers or not ,working is not a charity case 

Look dafty we know they have contracts that are law abiding and must be paid.    But they have bills to pay?   Give me a thousands of supporters a break.   

As for bills like the rest of us ?  You mean the £30 you give yer ma pays for everything?   

Archived