PL season to restart 19th june

GOAT

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Don't the SPFL lose £10m for finishing the season early?

Behind closed doors secures 10m, but hey giving the scum the title was more important. 

Gate receipts though..

Don’t worry - we’ll give Sky the naming rights for years or so. No club loses out on money. Oh, wait.. :whistle:

Has this actually happened yet or is it still mooted?

20 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Don't the SPFL lose £10m for finishing the season early?

Behind closed doors secures 10m, but hey giving the scum the title was more important. 

Gate receipts though..

Weird that the PL owe sky 330m due to unfulfilled games but we wouldn't owe a penny 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/27/liverpool-among-clubs-argue-against-paying-330m-rebate-broadcasters-premier-league#maincontent

Edit: aye gate receipts. How much did we make in TV revenue from the SPFL and how much did we make in ticket sales? 

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Weird that the PL owe sky 330m due to unfulfilled games but we wouldn't owe a penny 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/27/liverpool-among-clubs-argue-against-paying-330m-rebate-broadcasters-premier-league#maincontent

Edit: aye gate receipts. How much did we make in TV revenue from the SPFL and how much did we make in ticket sales? 

What is the financial risk to the spfl from broadcasters / sponsors from not fulfilling the agreed number of games?

Is there any variance, if so by how much, if they are held bcd? 

Have broadcasters/ sponsors stated there will be no recompense sought for non fulfilment, or bcd games? 

All I'm aware of is Rangers talking of a risk of 10m. It's a huge deal and unsurprisingly probably kept hush hush as it's a genuine risk to the spfl and subsequently clubs 

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

What is the financial risk to the spfl from broadcasters / sponsors from not fulfilling the agreed number of games?

Is there any variance, if so by how much, if they are held bcd? 

Have broadcasters/ sponsors stated there will be no recompense sought for non fulfilment, or bcd games? 

All I'm aware of is Rangers talking of a risk of 10m. It's a huge deal and unsurprisingly probably kept hush hush as it's a genuine risk to the spfl and subsequently clubs 

It looks like there's a financial risk either way. Sky apparently view BCD as 'devaluing' the product they pay for. 

Don't know if they've stated they wouldn't seek recompense for BCD/unfulfilled games but looking at the way they are going after the PL for a rebate because of unfulfilled games/BCD, I can't see the SPFL being viewed as a special case. 

Watching the austrialian rugby league on sky there, and there’s crowd noises, thought fuck sake they have a crowd already but naw it’s noises played over the tannoy. 😂

funnily enough it does add to it a wee bit if you’re watching it live, I’d have laughed if leagues were gonnae do this, but maybe not now.  Might be a good idea for watching it on the tele, maybe a wee bit of atmosphere.

4 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Watching the austrialian rugby league on sky there, and there’s crowd noises, thought fuck sake they have a crowd already but naw it’s noises played over the tannoy. 😂

funnily enough it does add to it a wee bit if you’re watching it live, I’d have laughed if leagues were gonnae do this, but maybe not now.  Might be a good idea for watching it on the tele, maybe a wee bit of atmosphere.

FARE would have to attend our games to make sure the recordings are appropriate. 

12 minutes ago, GOAT said:

Check this one out mate 

FB_IMG_1590749800298.jpg

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It looks like there's a financial risk either way. Sky apparently view BCD as 'devaluing' the product they pay for. 

Don't know if they've stated they wouldn't seek recompense for BCD/unfulfilled games but looking at the way they are going after the PL for a rebate because of unfulfilled games/BCD, I can't see the SPFL being viewed as a special case. 

And the spfl should be aware of this and have ensured all voting clubs were aware of the risks.

Even if the spfl paid for a chunk of test kits and for 2 months wages of those out of contract players at lower clubs it would still likely fall way short of the 10m risk we face to not play the games.

4 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

And the spfl should be aware of this and have ensured all voting clubs were aware of the risks.

Even if the spfl paid for a chunk of test kits and for 2 months wages of those out of contract players at lower clubs it would still likely fall way short of the 10m risk we face to not play the games.

The SPFL haven't got a pot to piss in. Them paying for anything means the clubs are paying for it.

I'm trying to find out if there will also be a liability for BCD games (similar to the PL).

12 minutes ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Check this one out mate 

FB_IMG_1590749800298.jpg

I don’t know if the fans are charged and if so, if they can pay more for the big screens. I absolutely guarantee though that if this was adopted in Scotland then some filth fans would pay top dollar to buy the feed during one of our games so they could hold up something about us being dead etc etc. Actually,  thinking about it, they are probably planning something like that for the Danish league matches.... :lol:

Mind you, we’d retaliate with BJK banners etc and the plug would be pulled immediately!

6 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

To see how european nation's league, of varying sizes,  are dealing with resuming / concluding leagues here's an interesting wee update article I found 👍

League-by-league guide to the return of football around Europe

Signal Iduna Park played host to Borussia Dortmund against Schalke last weekend as the German Bundesliga became the first major European league to restart after the coronavirus shutdown.

PARIS - With Italy's Serie A on Thursday setting a date for its return from the coronavirus shutdown and the English Premier League also now agreed on when to resume, AFP Sport casts a glance at the situation for football leagues across Europe:

- Leagues restarting -

The German Bundesliga was the first major European league to return on May 16, but the Faroe Islands came back before that. Football is also being played again in Estonia, the Czech Republic and Hungary, while Belarus was the one country on the continent where it never went away during the coronavirus crisis.

On Thursday, Italy's sports minister confirmed that Serie A will return on June 20, while La Liga in Spain will resume its season in the week beginning June 8.

Here are confirmed restart dates elsewhere:

Denmark -- May 28

Poland -- May 29

Serbia, Ukraine -- May 30

Austria -- June 2

Portugal -- June 3

Slovenia -- June 5

Croatia, Greece -- June 6

Spain -- week beginning June 8

Turkey -- June 12

Norway -- June 16

Italy -- June 20

Russia -- June 21

Finland -- July 1

- Still awaiting green light -

The Premier League on Thursday announced the date of June 17 for its return, although that remains "provisional" for now, according to chief executive Richard Masters.

He admitted the date "cannot be confirmed until we have met all the safety requirements needed, as the health and welfare of all participants and supporters is our priority."

Meanwhile, the Swiss league will vote on Friday whether to give the green light for a resumption on June 20.

- Season over -

The Netherlands was the first European country to bring an early end to the season on April 24 as the Eredivisie was cancelled without a champion being crowned.

France then followed suit on April 30, ending the season with 10 rounds of matches unplayed.

The season was not voided, though, with Paris Saint-Germain confirmed as champions, European places dished out and relegation and promotion between the top two divisions maintained on a two-up, two-down basis.

Belgium also ended its season, with Club Brugge champions, after the Belgian government announced it was suspending all sporting competitions until July 31.

In Scotland the season had already been called early in the three divisions below the top flight and the Premiership followed suit on May 18, with celtic being crowned champions for the ninth year running.

Luxembourg and Cyprus also called an end to their seasons but without naming a champion

Fucking shambles we effectively ratified the end of our season in the 2nd week of April yet so many arguably more comparable nations obviously sought solutions rather than barriers and excuses.

That's just the tip of the iceberg...   Smaller nations like  Estonia, Hungary, Finland, Romania & Bulgaria are returning. How can they afford to return (I'm assuming testing players is required) yet Scotland can't resume?

Even Gibraltar null & voided their season.

Scotland & Belgium will be the laughing stock of Europe.

53 minutes ago, GOAT said:

I've not heard it but was watching the german football the other day on bein sports and they were saying you could go into sound settings and turn on crowd noise 

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

Because were talking about August restart, and is part of (iirc) the third of four stages of the 'exit strategy' from lockdown etc. What teams are doing today in other countries bears little relevance to August 

Possibly mate.  But, it’s unlikely that any contact sport (whether it is June or August) would be given the go ahead without testing for the foreseeable future. I doubt Scotland will be any different.

I think that the issue (shared by some on the forum), is that the cost of testing was used by the SPFL as a barrier to finishing the current season.  They are now looking to re-start the next season in August, where if testing is required then the same costs will be incurred.  

IF testing is required, then it adds greater weight to the argument that the SPFL were merely looking for reasons to vindicate their decision to end the season ASAP.

In terms of contracts running out.  There is at least one team in Scotland using the furlough scheme to retain players.  The scheme is expected to run until October at least.  Therefore, it’s not really an issue that couldn’t be overcome, if the SPFL really wanted to finish the current season before starting the next.

Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, eskbankloyal said:

Rangers agreed that the season could not be completed which was a unanimous decision. 

that’s very different from agreeing to ‘award’ celtic a title 

Surely the board knew that awarding them the title would have come from ending the season early, everyone else did!!

29 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

That's just the tip of the iceberg...   Smaller nations like  Estonia, Hungary, Finland, Romania & Bulgaria are returning. How can they afford to return (I'm assuming testing players is required) yet Scotland can't resume?

Even Gibraltar null & voided their season.

Scotland & Belgium will be the laughing stock of Europe.

One of them already are. 

Archived