PL season to restart 19th june

GOAT

5 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

Possibly mate.  But, it’s unlikely that any contact sport (whether it is June or August) would be given the go ahead without testing for the foreseeable future. I doubt Scotland will be any different.

I think that the issue (shared by some on the forum), is that the cost of testing was used by the SPFL as a barrier to finishing the current season.  They are now looking to re-start the next season in August, where if testing is required then the same costs will be incurred.  

IF testing is required, then it adds greater weight to the argument that the SPFL were merely looking for reasons to vindicate their decision to end the season ASAP.

In terms of contracts running out.  There is at least one team in Scotland using the furlough scheme to retain players.  The scheme is expected to run until October at least.  Therefore, it’s not really an issue that couldn’t be overcome, if the SPFL really wanted to finish the current season before starting the next.

Just my opinion.

For what it's worth my opinion too.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

Possibly mate.  But, it’s unlikely that any contact sport (whether it is June or August) would be given the go ahead without testing for the foreseeable future. I doubt Scotland will be any different.

I think that the issue (shared by some on the forum), is that the cost of testing was used by the SPFL as a barrier to finishing the current season.  They are now looking to re-start the next season in August, where if testing is required then the same costs will be incurred.  

IF testing is required, then it adds greater weight to the argument that the SPFL were merely looking for reasons to vindicate their decision to end the season ASAP.

In terms of contracts running out.  There is at least one team in Scotland using the furlough scheme to retain players.  The scheme is expected to run until October at least.  Therefore, it’s not really an issue that couldn’t be overcome, if the SPFL really wanted to finish the current season before starting the next.

Just my opinion.

Well said.

44 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The SPFL haven't got a pot to piss in. Them paying for anything means the clubs are paying for it.

I'm trying to find out if there will also be a liability for BCD games (similar to the PL).

Who pays for it if the 10m rebate / refund  for not playing the games comes to fruition? If the spfl dont have it but are used, who is responsible?

Btw I'm sure I read the spfl did have a central pot of money at the end of the last 3 or 4 seasons. I'll try to find it.

1 minute ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Who pays for it if the 10m rebate / refund  for not playing the games comes to fruition? If the spfl dont have it but are used, who is responsible?

Btw I'm sure I read the spfl did have a central pot of money at the end of the last 3 or 4 seasons. I'll try to find it.

Sky will be given the naming rights to the leagues in lieu of the 10m.

Id expect any further rebates would be deducted from future payments from the SPFL. As would any testing costs. 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Id expect any further rebates would be deducted from future payments from the SPFL. As would any testing costs. 

Your a great thinker when I comes to negotiations for the taigs, yet any alternatives that don't help celtic seem to be beyond you.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Seems to me that the clubs are responsible.

Ditto if Hearts and perhaps others seek compensation.

The SPFL claim to keep no money back their published accounts tell a different story. Explaining an accountancy issue would be no problem to them, of that I sure.

32 minutes ago, DMax399 said:

Just my opinion.

The cost of testing was just one of the barriers. There's also the matter of players contracts ending, the complete uncertainty over when there would be any likelihood of playing games again and trying to avoid being battered by claims from sponsors/broadcasters etc.

There are three teams who have used the furlough scheme to retain players. By the very nature of the players being furloughed, they can't take part in any games. Thats the entire purpose of furlough. They can't have players furloughed and continue to play them in games. If the scheme runs until October and those players remain furloughed until then, they can't kick a ball until it's over.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Weird that Liverpool and others have the same view as me and others, behind closed doors will increase views. You do realise just because Sky and once ex PL rep argue its devalued does not mean thats correct, right? 

Which would be why I've said repeatedly that broadcasters think it will devalue the product.

26 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Your a great thinker when I comes to negotiations for the taigs, yet any alternatives that don't help celtic seem to be beyond you.

How does this help them any more than it helps us, Hearts or Hibs?

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

The cost of testing was just one of the barriers. There's also the matter of players contracts ending, the complete uncertainty over when there would be any likelihood of playing games again and trying to avoid being battered by claims from sponsors/broadcasters etc.

There are three teams who have used the furlough scheme to retain players. By the very nature of the players being furloughed, they can't take part in any games. Thats the entire purpose of furlough. They can't have players furloughed and continue to play them in games. If the scheme runs until October and those players remain furloughed until then, they can't kick a ball until it's over.

Every other country in Europe are finding ways to overcome testing, sponsors and contracts.  Only you and the spfl refuse to explore options about finishing the season.

And yet, there is a meeting today with the government to explore options to resume football in August and have players back training in two weeks with Lawwell attending nonetheless.

The poster you have replied to asked why these options weren't considered to finish the league but are now being looked at of which you can't answer or do so in a round about way.

Didn't Dundee U furlough their staff? Does that mean they can'y play games in the spl in August?

Just now, bluenoz said:

Every other country in Europe are finding ways to overcome testing, sponsors and contracts.  Only you and the spfl refuse to explore options about finishing the season.

And yet, there is a meeting today with the government to explore options to resume football in August and have players back training in two weeks with Lawwell attending nonetheless.

The poster you have replied to asked why these options weren't considered to finish the league but are now being looked at of which you can't answer or do so in a round about way.

Didn't Dundee U furlough their staff? Does that mean they can'y play games in the spl in August?

And France, Belgium and Holland.  And leagues in England. And leagues in Germany. And leagues in Spain,

The options put forward to finish the season still don't answer the question about the 100+ premiership players out of contract this weekend. Lockdown was lifted today and professional sports still can't be played in this country.

If the Dundee United players are still on furlough in August? Yes. That's precisely what it means. If the players are on furlough they can't play games or even train until they are off furlough. Clubs aren't even allowed to give players specific training programmes to work to if they are on furlough.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

And France, Belgium and Holland.  And leagues in England. And leagues in Germany. And leagues in Spain,

The options put forward to finish the season still don't answer the question about the 100+ premiership players out of contract this weekend. Lockdown was lifted today and professional sports still can't be played in this country.

If the Dundee United players are still on furlough in August? Yes. That's precisely what it means. If the players are on furlough they can't play games or even train until they are off furlough. Clubs aren't even allowed to give players specific training programmes to work to if they are on furlough.

The league could have been finished in a month (2 games per week). A 60 day player contract extension could have been an option. Or they could have finished it with different players just like the Scottish Cup will be. Like I said, every other league is finding a way.

For months you have defended the spfl's approach even though they have been caught in many blatant lies and continue to do so.

DU players will not be on furlough in August so bringing it up in the first place was a deflection to the poster you replied to.

38 minutes ago, The Dude said:

And if 1.5m sponsorship pa x 5 years isnt suitable for Sky and they sue, who pays and how?

If many clubs are unhappy that 7.5m of sponsorship money they would normally expect distributed is given for free, how can the executive authorise against clubs wishes?

Future rebates from future payments? Sounds like more of the sort of stuff that wasnt identified, bottomed out and either overcome or at least given as an outcome of voting for concluding the season early, and evidence of why more time should have been taken.

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

How does this help them any more than it helps us, Hearts or Hibs?

You are unwilling to consider other suggestions such as if the league was voided offer the tv company's another year to their contracts. You can only see things one way.

1 minute ago, bluenoz said:

The league could have been finished in a month (2 games per week). A 60 day player contract extension could have been an option. Or they could have finished it with different players just like the Scottish Cup will be. Like I said, every other league is finding a way.

For months you have defended the spfl's approach even though they have been caught in many blatant lies and continue to do so.

DU players will not be on furlough in August so bringing it up in the first place was a deflection to the poster you replied to.

a 60 day extension and pay them with what? Clubs have had to furlough their players because they don;t have the money to pay them. We've had to defer players wages to avoid serious financial harm to the club.

Every other league ISN't finding a way. France, Holland, Belgium have stopped completely. Some leagues in England won't be restarting.

So every club will have all their players back from furlough in August?

6 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

You are unwilling to consider other suggestions such as if the league was voided offer the tv company's another year to their contracts. You can only see things one way.

Voiding the league was never on the table. Not a single club put it forward as an alternative. Why would I consider something that was never a viable alternative?

2 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

It gets tough not to comment when he doesn't have an open mind but I'm away back to enjoy the sunshine. 

I do have an open mind. I've also spoken to folk at clubs who have all said voiding it was never an option as nobody backed it.

Voiding the league was never on the table. Not a single club put it forward as an alternative. Why would I consider something that was never a viable alternative?

Doncaster said it was spoke about and it has happened in other incomplete leagues.

a 60 day extension and pay them with what? Clubs have had to furlough their players because they don;t have the money to pay them. We've had to defer players wages to avoid serious financial harm to the club.

Every other league ISN't finding a way. France, Holland, Belgium have stopped completely. Some leagues in England won't be restarting.

So every club will have all their players back from furlough in August?

Only 3 countries will not complete their season in the top tier. Hardly a defence on your part especially when Holland didn't even declare a winner.

celtic supporters bring up the Belgium league as their defence for justification to a tainted title.

Just now, bluenoz said:

Only 3 countries will not complete their season in the top tier. Hardly a defence on your part especially when Holland didn't even declare a winner.

celtic supporters bring up the Belgium league as their defence for justification to a tainted title.

I'm not using it to justify their title. I'm correcting your claim we're the only country to stop their league early.

2 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Doncaster said it was spoke about and it has happened in other incomplete leagues.

It was spoken about and there was no support for it so didn't go any further.

It has happened in other leagues. So has declaring the season early and awarding titles/relegations.

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not using it to justify their title. I'm correcting your claim we're the only country to stop their league early.

I never said we were the ONLY country but Belgium & France are hardly the majority or the norm yet you continue to use them as an example instead of looking at all the countries (and more) that was posted earlier and explore the options they are using.

Archived