Andy Halliday guest on PLZ soccer show

CR3

Brian Clough took McGovern from Hartlepool to Derby and then Nottingham Forest. He was a midfield player that wasn’t flashy and didn’t score many goals but with Clough won just about everything and as stated above captained Forest to two European cups.  He was Scottish but I don’t think he was ever capped.

On 05/06/2020 at 08:49, BridgeIsBlue said:

5-1 Piggery - lol nobody died 

Lost every single big away game in Championship and Premiership 

Hibs don't win a Scottish Cup for 100 years until he comes along

Said people should be asking questions about the development of Barrie McKay instead of worrying about challenging for a title

Fraud of a manager backed up by a snake of a former captain into the bargain

Fuck me how time forgives eh :lol:

Totally agree he was absolutely garbage.

I think a lot of people don’t realise the reasons why players would like him.  He was a modern day idealist coach rather than manager and he wasn’t a disciplinarian so he probably got on with the players (excluding Barton) quite well. He’d have been easy to work with and at work you always enjoy having a boss that’s easy to work with even if that’s detrimental to your results.

Through his coaching he did probably improve some players as well but we didn’t see it on the pitch because the man didn’t have the fire in himself that you need to instil in the team at a club like Rangers.

His signings were mostly dross but again he’s a coach who’s more suited to the European/Championship model where a director of football makes the decisions on signings and he coaches the team.

Overall he was just the wrong man to be a Rangers manager, suited to lower level and Championship teams but doesn’t have that X Factor that you need at a club that’s pushing to achieve things when you need the players and staff to fight for everything for you.

I’m still astonished by the ‘nobody died’ comment after the 5-1 even if that’s what he was thinking at the time it’s mental that he actually went and said it out loud 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/06/2020 at 17:59, The Blues said:

Honest interview from a player who tried his best but didn’t push on from his excellent first season to be the type of player that will win things. Never let us down and think he would make an excellent acquisition for an ambitious league 1 team or in fact a championship team. He could be Warb’s  John McGovern

Halliday is good enough to start for a lot of the teams in our league imo

On 06/06/2020 at 06:17, The Blues said:

Brian Clough took McGovern from Hartlepool to Derby and then Nottingham Forest. He was a midfield player that wasn’t flashy and didn’t score many goals but with Clough won just about everything and as stated above captained Forest to two European cups.  He was Scottish but I don’t think he was ever capped.

Archived