Statement released on behalf of Richard MacDonald

AlCapone

1 minute ago, Swally said:

Because we’re employing the wrong people in important positions 

I know mate - seems the only thing we’re truly good at is shifting season tickets.

And that says more about us than it does about them.......

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, HG5 said:

I know mate - seems the only thing we’re truly good at is shifting season tickets.

And that says more about us than it does about them.......

Our supporter base is still very strong . Hell knows why, with a board that continues to fleece, and not fight our cause against our many many enemies 

4 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

Our supporter base is still very strong . Hell knows why, with a board that continues to fleece, and not fight our cause against our many many enemies 

Indeed mate.

They have a lot to learn about how things work in the present day.

I believe they think they’re only here to run a football club.

If only it was that simple.....

Just watched the footage.

He gets a positive response when he gets up to speak - the way people are talking on here it's as if he was booed and caved into pressure to say something. He then says the same thing every other credible organisation is saying at the moment, that things have to change. And he gets a very positive response.

People on here are calling that a PR disaster??? :confused:

It would have been a PR disaster to not say your organisation needs to change, particularly in light of the reaction and feelings of the majority in the world. Change can simply mean taking a more active stand in community initiatives, bringing more people from diverse backgrounds into the club/support, doing what Everyone, Anyone has already stated it is intended to do. 

If you view his comments as saying there is a lack of diversity in who we sign, then that's just truly bizarre. If you're offended by his comments in general, you maybe need to think about why you're offended by someone clearly saying they want to see a more open and welcome society in Scotland, including within our own club.

I can try and take his word for it that it was a mistake but regardless the damage is done and this will be used against us for years. Any Rangers fans should know far better when it comes to the agendas and false accusations 

Utter stupidity 

49 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

He gets a positive response when he gets up to speak - the way people are talking on here it's as if he was booed and caved into pressure to say something. He then says the same thing every other credible organisation is saying at the moment, that things have to change. And he gets a very positive response.

It would have been a PR disaster to not say your organisation needs to change, particularly in light of the reaction and feelings of the majority in the world. Change can simply mean taking a more active stand in community initiatives, bringing more people from diverse backgrounds into the club/support, doing what Everyone, Anyone has already stated it is intended to do. 

If you view his comments as saying there is a lack of diversity in who we sign, then that's just truly bizarre. If you're offended by his comments in general, you maybe need to think about why you're offended by someone clearly saying they want to see a more open and welcome society in Scotland, including within our own club.

do you actually believe everything you've actually just typed out? :confused:

56 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

What do Rangers need to change in regards to BLM?

He’s essentially said we have a racism problem and we need to change and done so by throwing himself onto the spotlight which to me was attention seeking and signalling at its finest.

He’s since admitted he was wrong.

1 hour ago, TartanTeddy said:

It's probably a fair point. People with an agenda will take the comments as us having a problem, others will see it as the same kind of admission that probably most companies are making now whether they feel they have a problem or not, so as not to be seen as complacent or as dismissing the movement that's going on. 'Rangers needs to change' could, and probably should, be seen as being a statement of openness and willingness rather than an admission of guilt. Should be seen as a positive. Sadly, it won't be spun as that.

3 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

Or bullied .Or just being calculating .We just always make a rip roaring arse of it 

We make a rip roaring arse of it because of fear,  instead of going in guns a blazing we go in apologetically and they just laugh at that.

2 hours ago, British_Empire said:

do you actually believe everything you've actually just typed out? :confused:

Everything.  As does the club - who I've worked with on community initiatives in Glasgow. Rangers see themselves as agents of change and in promoting better community relations, and they have done significant good work over the last few years in both Govan and across the city

You on the other hand are happy to have 'White Lives Matter' displayed as your profile picture, which I guess makes it clear that you have taken a particular and defined public position knowing it is recognised as a statement supported and actively promoted by people such as  the Aryan Renaissance Society in the US. 

I think it's safe to say we have different political and social beliefs and we are unlikely to convince each other to change, so I'll leave any debate between us there.

2 hours ago, Bad Robot said:

What do Rangers need to change in regards to BLM?

He’s essentially said we have a racism problem and we need to change and done so by throwing himself onto the spotlight which to me was attention seeking and signalling at its finest.

He’s since admitted he was wrong.

He hasn't 'essentially said that we have a racist problem'. He is saying the club can be part of positive change and it has to be proactive in making that change happen. 

I think, because he has obviously been pressured by negative feedback from certain fans,  that he would like his comments to be viewed as society needing to change, which it clearly does, and he sees Rangers as part of that process of change. I don't think he needs to take anything back (though I understand why he probably has had to do it if comments on this thread are typical) as I thought he represented the club well and I'm actually glad that he was happy to speak, as a Rangers fan, in front of that crowd

Rangers make a significant impact in Scottish society, and I would hope that the club would want to see its position used in a positive way to influence positive change

3 hours ago, HG5 said:

Indeed mate.

They have a lot to learn about how things work in the present day.

I believe they think they’re only here to run a football club.

If only it was that simple.....

I despair now bud, doesn’t matter what we do they’ll find fault and denigrate us because it’s a dawdle to do so. Funny how the only club that needs to change is Rangers after decades now of bending over backwards to accommodate them that quite simply hate us. Anybody that believes things like charity and even local community initiatives are going to make us seen in a better light to these people are quite frankly deluded. They east end ‘freedom fighters’ waltz through life doing as they like off and on the park whilst every move Rangers and their fan’s make is scrutinised with a fine tooth comb by a now filth tamed Scottish media and still hammered at every opportunity. Still taking it in every orifice as the big bad bigots, maybe racists now who knows. As I said I truly despair I really do.

9 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

I despair now bud, doesn’t matter what we do they’ll find fault and denigrate us because it’s a dawdle to do so. Funny how the only club that needs to change is Rangers after decades now of bending over backwards to accommodate them that quite simply hate us. Anybody that believes things like charity and even local community initiatives are going to make us seen in a better light to these people are quite frankly deluded. They east end ‘freedom fighters’ waltz through life doing as they like off and on the park whilst every move Rangers and their fan’s make is scrutinised with a fine tooth comb by a now filth tamed Scottish media and still hammered at every opportunity. Still taking it in every orifice as the big bad bigots, maybe racists now who knows. As I said I truly despair I really do.

Absolutely nailed it there, mate.

Wish I had some answers as to where the fight back will come from.

We don’t even seem to win any of the small battles in this ‘war’.

25 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

They cunts are openly anti Semitic ,and get praised for their empathy with Palestine ,

Despite most of the cunts thinking Palestine is the stuff Tony Harts wee pal Morph was made from 

38 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

They cunts are openly anti Semitic ,and get praised for their empathy with Palestine ,

Despite most of the cunts thinking Palestine is the stuff Tony Harts wee pal Morph was made from 

Yup they walk hand in hand with terrorists and get praised. Used to laugh at people that said what a great club they are for charity, some of ours as well. I’ve never been deceived but. 

10 minutes ago, BLUEDIGNITY said:

Yup they walk hand in hand with terrorists and get praised. Used to laugh at people that said what a great club they are for charity, some of ours as well. I’ve never been deceived but. 

I live for the day they get called out and exposed for what they are ,a shower  of chanty rattling ,ambulance chasing ,faux religious, bandwagon jumping,smelly peado protecting bastards ,

Not one of those qualities are anything to be proud of and would shame any decent human being ,but no them they are FUCKIN PROUD OF IT 

2 hours ago, TartanTeddy said:

He hasn't 'essentially said that we have a racist problem'. He is saying the club can be part of positive change and it has to be proactive in making that change happen. 

I think, because he has obviously been pressured by negative feedback from certain fans,  that he would like his comments to be viewed as society needing to change, which it clearly does, and he sees Rangers as part of that process of change. I don't think he needs to take anything back (though I understand why he probably has had to do it if comments on this thread are typical) as I thought he represented the club well and I'm actually glad that he was happy to speak, as a Rangers fan, in front of that crowd

Rangers make a significant impact in Scottish society, and I would hope that the club would want to see its position used in a positive way to influence positive change

No he said Rangers as an institution has to change and I'm there to help it change which for most people in the current hate climate against Rangers is saying we’re in a negative position we need to change from! That’s the reality of the situation which was created no matter how much you want to spin it Richard 😏

Also I’m interested in your answer regarding what do Rangers need to change in regards to BLM?

I

19 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

I live for the day they get called out and exposed for what they are ,a shower  of chanty rattling ,ambulance chasing ,faux religious, bandwagon jumping,smelly peado protecting bastards ,

Not one of those qualities are anything to be proud of and would shame any decent human being ,but no them they are FUCKIN PROUD OF IT 

What happened to the 12 year old they threw under the bus to take the heat of the 'grown-up' racists in their support?

2 hours ago, TartanTeddy said:

Everything.  As does the club - who I've worked with on community initiatives in Glasgow. Rangers see themselves as agents of change and in promoting better community relations, and they have done significant good work over the last few years in both Govan and across the city

You on the other hand are happy to have 'White Lives Matter' displayed as your profile picture, which I guess makes it clear that you have taken a particular and defined public position knowing it is recognised as a statement supported and actively promoted by people such as  the Aryan Renaissance Society in the US. 

I think it's safe to say we have different political and social beliefs and we are unlikely to convince each other to change, so I'll leave any debate between us there.

The Aryan Renaissance Society, you’ve lost the fkn plot man 😂

41 minutes ago, tm91 said:

Full disclosure here - I'm left-wing and mixed-race. I've experienced racism, as has my own mother, who has experienced it in the Police Force itself in which she works. I have great sympathy for the aims and intentions of the protests. I was instinctively offended by his comments. 

Context and the wording we choose matters, a great deal. He is making these comments at a protest about structural and institutional racism in society. He hears a comment about Rangers. He doesn't say that 'things have to change in society and Rangers needs to play a part in bringing about that change'.  He doesn't say that 'Rangers need to take a more active stand in community initiatives in order to help society change.' These would have been more acceptable, as he fully acknowledges in his own statement.

He says: 

"Rangers as an institution has to change and I'm there to help it change." (bolded and italicised for emphasis)

The use of that language is not (or would not be taken as) ambiguous, particularly within the context of a Black Lives Matter rally. By acknowledging Rangers in that context, he isn't just saying that societal change is important or that Rangers have a role to play in implementing change in Scottish society - he's implying that Rangers are part of the problem (or, to be generous, he is allowing his comments to be interpreted in that manner by other people). Why do we, specifically, have to change? Change from what? We have implemented extensive community initiatives and campaigns like the Everyone/Anyone campaign, we have a particularly diverse squad, and we have little to no recorded events of any racism. Why are we even being mentioned in this context at all? 

I will fully acknowledge that I suspect Rangers fans on the whole are probably particularly sensitive about being criticised in this context, because we are consistently told as a fanbase that we're all bigots. That sensitivity has probably fuelled a lot of outrage, but unfortunately we do live in a climate where there is a popular (and false) perception that Rangers fans may be racist, and as a supporter Richard McDonald should know that.  His choice of language was clumsy and he was rightly hammered for it. 

All fair comment - though I think over analysis of the wording the lad chose, off the cuff, to use to respond to a comment in the crowd can unjustly amplify the outrage some appear to feel.

The reception he received, and the response of the crowd to the sentiment he gave were both positive - take a trawl through the comments here and you would think he had committed a crime against humanity. People talking about 'damage done' and saying he 'can go fuck himself', seem more problematic to me than anything he said.

I can only speak from myself, but I think Rangers as an institution can do more, o top of what they have done, and I would welcome the club doing so - can we at least agree on that??

4 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

The Aryan Renaissance Society, you’ve lost the fkn plot man 😂

Google 'White Lives Matter' and that where it takes you - and, of course,  to organisations that share that sentiment.

Anyone thinking 'White Lives Matter' is a benign statement has clearly lost the plot - it is a charged phrase and it has clear meaning, whether that was the intention of the person using it or not

Archived