Statement released on behalf of Richard MacDonald

AlCapone

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TartanTeddy said:

Google 'White Lives Matter' and that where it takes you - and, of course,  to organisations that share that sentiment.

Anyone thinking 'White Lives Matter' is a benign statement has clearly lost the plot - it is a charged phrase and it has clear meaning, whether that was the intention of the person using it or not

You need to get off whatever nonsense internet sites you’re on and come back to the real world. 

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

It’s absolutely hilarious as where do you even start with it 😂

You start by doing research - unless you have no interest in where the phrase was popularised:

“White Lives Matter” is a white supremacist phrase that originated in early 2015 as a racist response to the Black Lives Matter movement, which arose to protest against police brutality against African-Americans and garnered considerable publicity in 2014 for protests in Ferguson, Missouri, following the shooting death of Michael Brown at the hands of a Ferguson police officer.

Since 2015, white supremacists in several states, especially members of the Texas-based white supremacist group Aryan Renaissance Society, have promoted the slogan “White Lives Matter” with flyers and protests, forming a loose campaign to popularize the phrase.

By 2016 other white supremacist groups, including Ku Klux Klan groups, were also using the slogan, and it soon became a staple among white supremacist mantras, continuing even after the original campaigners ceased their activities.

Just now, TartanTeddy said:

You start by doing research - unless you have no interest in where the phrase was popularised:

“White Lives Matter” is a white supremacist phrase that originated in early 2015 as a racist response to the Black Lives Matter movement, which arose to protest against police brutality against African-Americans and garnered considerable publicity in 2014 for protests in Ferguson, Missouri, following the shooting death of Michael Brown at the hands of a Ferguson police officer.

Since 2015, white supremacists in several states, especially members of the Texas-based white supremacist group Aryan Renaissance Society, have promoted the slogan “White Lives Matter” with flyers and protests, forming a loose campaign to popularize the phrase.

By 2016 other white supremacist groups, including Ku Klux Klan groups, were also using the slogan, and it soon became a staple among white supremacist mantras, continuing even after the original campaigners ceased their activities.

Typical example of too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing and as said try come back to the streets of the UK instead of finding sites to pursue an agenda.

3 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

Typical example of too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing and as said try come back to the streets of the UK instead of finding sites to pursue an agenda.

Happy for you to have a different take than those online, including numerous academic sources - but it's clearly a highly charged statement in the context of the current political situation.

If you chose to disagree, that's up to you. 

I disagree with him on the point that we all need to change due to events in the USA.

The very fact that it happened in the USA makes it very clear that it’s nothing to do with me, or the thousands that have jumped on the bandwagon.

Equally, it has nothing to do with Rangers, so I’m confused as to why he even mentioned us.

But, don’t forget, we’re all racists apparently if you believe the media messaging of late.

6 hours ago, Bears r us said:

OK you might be right but if they want E A to work then they will have to advertise it much more than on our website and big screens at Ibrox, but then our PR has been terrible for years and even with the new guy now, I see no change.

What the Club seem to be doing at the moment is preaching to the converted.

It is like the statements they put out which sound great and then do fuck all to back it up.  

:tu:

Exactly Bud ..... we have lost overall positive media coverage in this country to make any positive impact ....  due to it being surrendered to the tarrier minority who hold high positions within all media outlets ...... and it will be a Frosty Friday In Hell before we ever see any dramatic change to that direction.

Everybody Anybody is a sad dream competing against all the anti Rangers hating scum clubs and supporters in this country .... and no amount of "In House" advertising will change that .... which makes it confusing why we went down this route .... when most accept it as normal anyway and don't need converted.

We would have been better off concentrating on seriously improving our team so that they become outright winners on the park.

My question is .... why are we so intent in publicising the fact we are open to all? ...... when we already have had a mixed bag of ethnicity amongst our support for many years ... and a large waiting list for season tickets already ...... it's like supermarket advertising the way we have went about this Every Anybody project ... sad really.

Most fans who come to support any team come because there is something about the team they love ..... either born into it .... or became a fan through the success and popularity of the team .... regardless of any preconceived lies and propaganda being served up by haters to darken our name.

Get the team right on the park .... then we will not have to sell ourselves short to tick whatever community involvement boxes that are out there to win over hearts and minds.

🇬🇧

4 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

Happy for you to have a different take than those online, including numerous academic sources - but it's clearly a highly charged statement in the context of the current political situation.

If you chose to disagree, that's up to you. 

That’s the problem as sometimes the academia don’t actually live in the real and practical world and it’s all about theories and writings, and driving the narrative of papers to suit their own political agendas or whoever is financing the institutions where they are employed.

It’s also occurring in our schools where crazy mixed up thinking is being forced onto our school kids and again by so called educationists and teachers who have never lived in the real world.

I’m actually thinking that you probably the type of person who has taken offence to the  latest nonsense around the tweet by JK Rowling  😂

So for a third time in asking where do Rangers need to change in regards to BLM?

2 minutes ago, Bobby Hume said:

Exactly Bud ..... we have lost overall positive media coverage in this country to make any positive impact ....  due to it being surrendered to the tarrier minority who hold high positions within all media outlets ...... and it will be a Frosty Friday In Hell before we ever see any dramatic change to that direction.

Everybody Anybody is a sad dream competing against all the anti Rangers hating scum clubs and supporters in this country .... and no amount of "In House" advertising will change that .... which makes it confusing why we went down this route .... when most accept it as normal anyway and don't need converted.

We would have been better off concentrating on seriously improving our team so that they become outright winners on the park.

My question is .... why are we so intent in publicising the fact we are open to all? ...... when we already have had a mixed bag of ethnicity amongst our support for many years ... and a large waiting list for season tickets already ...... it's like supermarket advertising the way we have went about this Every Anybody project ... sad really.

Most fans who come to support any team come because there is something about the team they love ..... either born into it .... or became a fan through the success and popularity of the team .... regardless of any preconceived lies and propaganda being served up by haters to darken our name.

Get the team right on the park .... then we will not have to sell ourselves short to tick whatever community involvement boxes that are out there to win over hearts and minds.

🇬🇧

:cheers:

All good points mate, it has always made me wonder why this is just basically 'in house'. The best way to get all colours to follow us is as you say winning games, why would any Asian or other person follow us at the moment, we have not won any major honour for 9 years and unless you bare born into a Rangers family it is unlikely to happen.

So yes start winning and all colours will start wanting to follow us again. :thumbup: 

4 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

That’s the problem as sometimes the academia don’t actually live in the real and practical world and it’s all about theories and writings, and driving the narrative of papers to suit their own political agendas or whoever is financing the institutions where they are employed.

It’s also occurring in our schools where crazy mixed up thinking is being forced onto our school kids and again by so called educationists and teachers who have never lived in the real world.

I’m actually thinking that you probably the type of person who has taken offence to the  latest nonsense around the tweet by JK Rowling  😂

So for a third time in asking where do Rangers need to change in regards to BLM?

He's away googling more bullshit.

2 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

As mentioned, every source on the phrase 'White Lives Matter' points to the same interpretation - it's pretty much impossible to argue that point, so I'll park that because it's clear you disagree with all of those sources and you think there is something driving the narrative on it.

You would have to define or give examples of  'crazy mixed up thinking being taught in schools' not sure what that might be, but kids certainly seem to be more up to speed on the true sentiment of BLM than older generations who appear more challenged and conflate it with an idea that it is anti White.

No idea about the JK Rowling tweets - just looked it up, on brief review, not got an opinion either way, so your thinking on me isn't on point

I'll say again, as I have said above, Rangers can be more proactive in the community, greater engagement with BME networks, supporting community initiatives in Govan, and building on what they have achieved so far with the wide-ranging work that they have been doing. I worked with the club on a number of project s a few years back and it was a great experience - but it was acknowledged that more could be done.

I think you're pretty fixed in your position, so not sure there is anything more to discuss. 

3 minutes ago, tm91 said:

When it's something we're all really emotionally invested in, we're going to risk over-analysis I'm afraid! 

Obviously the crowd itself was far more concerned with structural racism than with the reputation of Rangers Football Club, which is why he got that overwhelmingly positive response. If he'd said the same comments at a RSC meeting he might not have gotten the same feedback.

And yeah, of course we can. Like I said, now the anger has died down it's clear he was just clumsy in his language and wasn't careful with his words. All institutions can do more. The entirety of Scottish football can do more, including every football club. 

All good points, and I hope people on here do eventualy see he hasn't done any damage to the clubs reputation.

I'd also like to think, (maybe naively) that most RSC's would want to see the club at the forefront of doing positive work in the community, whether that's on anti discrimination or any of the  other activities the Rangers Charity Foundation is engaged with in Scotland.

Also fully agree, it's for all clubs in Scotland to do more, not just Rangers.

11 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

As mentioned, every source on the phrase 'White Lives Matter' points to the same interpretation - it's pretty much impossible to argue that point, so I'll park that because it's clear you disagree with all of those sources and you think there is something driving the narrative on it.

You would have to define or give examples of  'crazy mixed up thinking being taught in schools' not sure what that might be, but kids certainly seem to be more up to speed on the true sentiment of BLM than older generations who appear more challenged and conflate it with an idea that it is anti White.

No idea about the JK Rowling tweets - just looked it up, on brief review, not got an opinion either way, so your thinking on me isn't on point

I'll say again, as I have said above, Rangers can be more proactive in the community, greater engagement with BME networks, supporting community initiatives in Govan, and building on what they have achieved so far with the wide-ranging work that they have been doing. I worked with the club on a number of project s a few years back and it was a great experience - but it was acknowledged that more could be done.

I think you're pretty fixed in your position, so not sure there is anything more to discuss. 

Sitting on the fence regarding the tweet tells me all I need to know about your positioning so yes there’s nothing left to discuss but you are comedy value, I’ll give you that.

1 hour ago, MidSussexBlue said:

I

What happened to the 12 year old they threw under the bus to take the heat of the 'grown-up' racists in their support?

That my good man is another mystery ,add it to the list of misdemeanours that go on at morals FC ,

Another thing that’s dissapered in time is popcorn teeth’s disciplinary record ,Remember his spiralling doubling bans from his first stint at victim FC ,wiped clean when he came back in the country ,Started his pish again while at Hivs and was treated as he had never offended before despite a few touch line flare ups ,including the one with Jim Duffy ,

Must be a wee shame for the cunt coz every time there’s a touch line fracas folk must be picking on him because he’s always involved 

I used to live in Lurgan where that cunt is from, but luckily left before he was born.  You have to wonder why such an odious wretch is feted so much within football and the media.

Bet you he doesn't go out when it's snowing, judging by his reaction when that coin glanced off his chest.

1 hour ago, Bad Robot said:

Sitting on the fence regarding the tweet tells me all I need to know about your positioning so yes there’s nothing left to discuss but you are comedy value, I’ll give you that.

So what's your opinion on the JK Rowling tweets - maybe I can learn something from your stance?

Always happy to listen and learn from others

10 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

So what's your opinion on the JK Rowling tweets - maybe I can learn something from your stance?

Always happy to listen and learn from others

JK was responding  to the woke headline about ‘people who menstruate’ and ridiculed it by humour as in the real world where feelings do get hurt, we all know only biological women can menstruate.

Taking any other position actually helps no one.

The chase to criticise her was expected but so very wrong. 

45 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

JK was responding  to the woke headline about ‘people who menstruate’ and ridiculed it by humour as in the real world where feelings do get hurt, we all know only biological women can menstruate.

Taking any other position actually helps no one.

The chase to criticise her was expected but so very wrong. 

The counter argument appears to be that “biological sex” refers to what the hospital fills in on your birth certificate, based on your genitals, which is a sentence I never thought I would write on RangersMedia. Gender, as it’s generally defined, has nothing to do with genitals.

A person's gender, and this is what the trans community would argue, is personal, and is based on a persons own feelings within their own body. WHO definition, “Gender refers to the roles, behaviours, activities, attributes and opportunities that any society considers appropriate for girls and boys, and women and men. Gender interacts with, but is different from, the binary categories of biological sex.” 

So, the argument, is that if you are trans and feel that you are a woman, you have the right to present as that gender – gender being basically a social construct that is different from the binary categories of biological sex.

Therefore from the bit of reading I’ve just done, I’m going with the position she is technically wrong – though I honestly don’t hold a particularly strong opinion on it, and the reaction certainly seems to be a wee bit over the top - though much like on here she's not for backing down, which seems to be generating even more backlash from those that don't agree!!

What’s next, vivisection, global warming or who was better Laudrup or Gazza??? 

We’ll agree on something eventually!!  :lol:

20 minutes ago, TartanTeddy said:

The counter argument appears to be that “biological sex” refers to what the hospital fills in on your birth certificate, based on your genitals, which is a sentence I never thought I would write on RangersMedia. Gender, as it’s generally defined, has nothing to do with genitals.

A person's gender, and this is what the trans community would argue, is personal, and is based on a persons own feelings within their own body. WHO definition, “Gender refers to the roles, behaviours, activities, attributes and opportunities that any society considers appropriate for girls and boys, and women and men. Gender interacts with, but is different from, the binary categories of biological sex.” 

So, the argument, is that if you are trans and feel that you are a woman, you have the right to present as that gender – gender being basically a social construct that is different from the binary categories of biological sex.

Therefore from the bit of reading I’ve just done, I’m going with the position she is technically wrong – though I honestly don’t hold a particularly strong opinion on it, and the reaction certainly seems to be a wee bit over the top - though much like on here she's not for backing down, which seems to be generating even more backlash from those that don't agree!!

What’s next, vivisection, global warming or who was better Laudrup or Gazza??? 

We’ll agree on something eventually!!  :lol:

:confused:

3 hours ago, tm91 said:

I've refrained from commenting about the Everyone, Anyone campaign, but I actually really, truly appreciate it. I'm fortunate enough in that while I'm brown I also come from a Presbyterian, White Scottish family, so I've never had problems embracing that identity or being part of the mainstream Rangers fanbase, which is obviously PUL - fuck, my old dad was in the Orange Order for a while. That said, the amount of times I've had to argue against the perception people have that Rangers fans are all right-wing bigoted racists is beyond parody.  I've been specifically told I shouldn't support Rangers because I am 'leftist' politically, or because I'm not white. The easy response is just to go 'Fuck those people, they're ignorant' and that's fair enough, but it gets tiring. Seeing the club itself point out how diverse the fanbase is, how welcoming the club is, how Rangers is a football club for everyone, and then placing emphasis on people who don't fit the typical image of a Rangers fan, like myself -  it made me feel closer to the football club I've loved since I was 5/6 years old, and I really appreciate that. I'm sure it's been similar with other fans as well. It's not just serving as a cynical marketing exercise.

I just wanted to express that. Other fans might disagree and that's fine - we're a broad church, and you make good arguments, but I felt the need to express my own perspective on it.

Well said mate ...... always valuable to see an opinion that mostly agrees with you own ... but from a different angle and  appreciate you explaining the why. 

My one main point though is that we shouldn't need to advertise that we are open to all ..... as in my experience anyone who enters our stadium and supports us is automatically accepted as one of our own.

🇬🇧

1 minute ago, tm91 said:

Cheers mate.

The bit in bold - this has always been my experience as well. I've never had a problem, I've brought friends and partners, I've never seen anything but people being automatically accepted and welcomed. Unfortunately we live in a climate where other people have the opposite perception of Rangers, because they've never been to Ibrox, or because they've got an agenda, or they've listened to people with the agenda.  You're right that in an ideal world we shouldn't have to do it at all, but if it helps fight that false perception, and makes people more comfortable with Rangers, and helps those Rangers fans trying to show people what the club is really like, then it can't be a bad thing.

Agreed it can't be a bad thing mate ..... and yes in an ideal world it should work in our favour.

Having listened to your well laid out reasons I will gladly concede the point that many within our support are getting good value from the campaign ..... and the work done so far is then a success and the message is also.

We will have to wait and see if the same message is transferable outside of our subjective opinions for others to see the truth ......  I still think it's a tough nut to crack though.

🇬🇧

Archived