What ever happened to rosettes?

I know that fashions and tastes change in almost everything - these days, you notice practically every fan wears a team jersey from one era or another, many the latest offering.  If you look at old pictures, you see quite a few of the punters wearing shirt and tie, plenty of bunnets, the odd pipe too.  And what ever happened to rosettes?  I had a Rangers rosette all those years ago and many others did too - you almost never see a Rangers rosette these days although I have seen some tasty King William rosettes through the years.  And those heavy wooden "rickets" that made such a noise when you swung them.  Come away the Rangers!!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to know a guy who's family used to make football rosettes amongst other football related stuff and would sell them at games across the country.

He told me his biggest sales by far were The Rangers ones home and away ..... and at one time when The Rangers were playing Hearts in Edinburgh they parcelled up a bundle for that game as usual.

They were also aware that France were playing Scotland in Edinburgh that day in the rugby ..... so being the sharpies they were they managed to flog any excess Rangers rosettes ....minus our badge .... to the French rugby supporters who happily treated them as their own due to the colours being the same as their national flag.

Nice little earner right enough proving .... like the O.O. ...... our colours they are fine.

:UK:

I don’t get how the filth get to hold up scarves En-masse (in Mass?)  as if they are the only ones who do it, and as a result we don’t. They’ll probably try to Nick the bouncy so we don’t do it anymore.

Nothing to do with rosettes, just an aside into football behaviour. 

Regarding clappers : I’m sure I saw a few at a Hearts match that was televised in the last few years.

They were called rattles & were banned in the 70s incase they were used as weapons.

In actual fact it was just 'weapons' that used them. 

Apart from the noise, you didn't really want to spend the game avoiding some wooden rattle being swung around inches from you when you're trying to watch what was happening on the pitch.

image.thumb.png.2179c891ec55996faf7c716b2644012c.png

6 hours ago, The Widow's Son said:

I know that fashions and tastes change in almost everything - these days, you notice practically every fan wears a team jersey from one era or another, many the latest offering.  If you look at old pictures, you see quite a few of the punters wearing shirt and tie, plenty of bunnets, the odd pipe too.  And what ever happened to rosettes?  I had a Rangers rosette all those years ago and many others did too - you almost never see a Rangers rosette these days although I have seen some tasty King William rosettes through the years.  And those heavy wooden "rickets" that made such a noise when you swung them.  Come away the Rangers!!

We give Rosettes to dogs and horses now, don't see much need for the things these days unless you are campaigning for your council election or GM seat.

• 7 months later...

Always called them ratchets. 

Am sure there were only just the odd times seen at our games in the late sixties, but are always highlighted in Pathe News reels, especially English cup finals of the late 50s, early  60s. Usually a wee posh guy with his dad shouting "Play up the Spurs" or similar.

Were used all the way back to 20s and 30s.

35b88d4cf23f7724afb1c296827ce215.jpg

d037f01ed3ca7e24518a36bae0bd8339.jpg

7 minutes ago, tannerall said:

Always called them ratchets. 

Am sure there were only just the odd times seen at our games in the late sixties, but are always highlighted in Pathe News reels, especially English cup finals of the late 50s, early  60s. Usually a wee posh guy with his dad shouting "Play up the Spurs" or similar.

Were used all the way back to 20s and 30s.

35b88d4cf23f7724afb1c296827ce215.jpg

d037f01ed3ca7e24518a36bae0bd8339.jpg

Wtf you twat

Archived