Bristol City Targets Gerrard

Ace

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Serious question.... if Gerrard wins 55 will you and the few others actually say he is a good manager?

I ask because I have my doubts that there may be more underlying issues like  you don't like his personality, don't like scousers etc..

Ffs man :lol:

6 hours ago, GersInCanada said:

I agree that managers are measured by what they win. But who was happy with the squad that Gerrard inherited ? I know that I wasn't.

On European nights we are a decent side (no Scottish refs ?). We no longer fear the worst when a scum game comes along. The days of finishing 3rd behind the sheep are over. A clearly offside goal being allowed to stand was all that prevented us from winning a trophy last season. That's progress.

Gerrard definitely deserves another go this coming season. 

All that prevented us :lol:

I must have missed the goals we scored in that final.

1 hour ago, British_Empire said:

Why do you think the board hired him in the first place? his experience in management?, the leagues he won as a player? all the trophies he won as a manager? to jump ahead of the competition MK Dons? 

Given the significant variance in the salaries, transfer budget, squad valuation versus the scum our Board have had to look at ways to punch above our weight. Realistically, we're trying to beat the odds and win against a rightly stronger favourite.

I'm sure more experienced managers would have came in for the salary, but im not sure the right manager with experience would see it as anything other than a poisoned chalice. We also tried and failed with the left field caixinho experiment.

Then it came to Gerrard. A smart guy, hugely successful as a player, hopefully with contacts in the game and a personal draw for players to get the quality needed to finish above the 2nd place that realistically we should be achieving. And based on everything, nothing warrants us being any better than 2nd.

Its not yet worked out though there are signs of it. We've shown in Europe and against the scum we can beat good teams, we just don't have the consistency, squad depth and ruthlessness yet to do it domestically over a full season. The likes of Defoe came due to Gerrard, I might be dreaming but I'd love a Milner this season to come for the challenge too. We need that quality that I'm not sure we could afford otherwise.

For me, the progress is still there, though its not been enough and this season its do or die imo. Punch above your weight, or go. He's bringing in new players, they need to deliver. Talk of getting him to fuck if we don't win away to sheep imo is not only ridiculous on this thread, but imo worryingly reflective of an underlying attitude that he's already on borrowed time and at the earliest opportunity the sack him chants will follow.

I just tend to think its a huge season, back him and the players, that way we'll have as good a chance as any of bucking the odds and defeating our opponents,  the refs, the spfl and every hater out there. 

If we sack him and try someone new, again its a squad the manager will want to change, to spend doing so, against the scum with the financial strength over us. At some point whether with Gerrard or his successor we need to realise that maybe 2 years isn't enough to overcome the vast difference in resources. Maybe someone does need longer for the necessary overhaul.

5 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Given the significant variance in the salaries, transfer budget, squad valuation versus the scum our Board have had to look at ways to punch above our weight. Realistically, we're trying to beat the odds and win against a rightly stronger favourite.

I'm sure more experienced managers would have came in for the salary, but im not sure the right manager with experience would see it as anything other than a poisoned chalice. We also tried and failed with the left field caixinho experiment.

Then it came to Gerrard. A smart guy, hugely successful as a player, hopefully with contacts in the game and a personal draw for players to get the quality needed to finish above the 2nd place that realistically we should be achieving. And based on everything, nothing warrants us being any better than 2nd.

Its not yet worked out though there are signs of it. We've shown in Europe and against the scum we can beat good teams, we just don't have the consistency, squad depth and ruthlessness yet to do it domestically over a full season. The likes of Defoe came due to Gerrard, I might be dreaming but I'd love a Milner this season to come for the challenge too. We need that quality that I'm not sure we could afford otherwise.

For me, the progress is still there, though its not been enough and this season its do or die imo. Punch above your weight, or go. He's bringing in new players, they need to deliver. Talk of getting him to fuck if we don't win away to sheep imo is not only ridiculous on this thread, but imo worryingly reflective of an underlying attitude that he's already on borrowed time and at the earliest opportunity the sack him chants will follow.

I just tend to think its a huge season, back him and the players, that way we'll have as good a chance as any of bucking the odds and defeating our opponents,  the refs, the spfl and every hater out there. 

If we sack him and try someone new, again its a squad the manager will want to change, to spend doing so, against the scum with the financial strength over us. At some point whether with Gerrard or his successor we need to realise that maybe 2 years isn't enough to overcome the vast difference in resources. Maybe someone does need longer for the necessary overhaul.

We play them 4 times in a league campaign, you can't use the transfer budget argument as a crutch one way then dismiss it in another when we struggle against teams that are nowhere near our level. 

Talking about Defoe coming here because of Gerrard, did Dado Prso come to Rangers to play for Alex McLeish, or Laudrup and Gascoigne because of Walter? 

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

The whole wage bill argument is nonsense, in my view.

Liverpool won a CL and nearly got 100 league points last year, might get over 100 this year and their wage bill AND transfer spending does not come close to United, Chelsea never mind the top team Man City.

I never heard those finance excuses being used for Mark Warburton or Pedro who's finances were much less than Gerrard's!

I would love to know the difference in our wages compared to Aberdeen, Hearts and Kilmarnock. 

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We play them 4 times in a league campaign, you can't use the transfer budget argument as a crutch one way then dismiss it in another when we struggle against teams that are nowhere near our level. 

Talking about Defoe coming here because of Gerrard, did Dado Prso come to Rangers to play for Alex McLeish, or Laudrup and Gascoigne because of Walter? 

He defo did because of Walter and his persistence 

1 hour ago, OhW said:

Yes exactly. We lost because of their goal. That is different to saying their goal is the only thing that prevented us winning. We still need to score to win  

Which could have happened in extra time had the game not been concluded by their game winning goal, that shouldn't have stood. 

Just now, King Jela said:

Which could have happened in extra time had the game not been concluded by their game winning goal, that shouldn't have stood. 

Yes maybe. It’s not like I’m happy about it. I just thought it was an overly-positive spin to put on it. 

1 minute ago, King Jela said:

We'd have won it if we had more players in the side trying to win it in the first place. 

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

We'd have won it if we had more players in the side trying to win it in the first place. 

If their goal doesn't stand and we win it in extra time then we would have had players that wanted to win it more, but we'll never know because we were robbed of the chance. 

4 minutes ago, OhW said:

Yes maybe. It’s not like I’m happy about it. I just thought it was an overly-positive spin to put on it. 

Its pretty black and white for me. Their offside goal doesn't stand we have extra time, momentum on our side and an extra man. 

25 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

All fair comments mate, but there's an over-riding, massive brand name/PR aspect to the appointment. That was the ONLY advantage to his appointment at the time (you can then argue a case for or against him as a manager now depending on how you think he's done)

2 hours ago, British_Empire said:

the feeling is absolutely, 110% mutual. You make zero contribution to this forum apart from going around making snide comments to other people. Mostly myself. Oddity. 

Why do you think the board hired him in the first place? his experience in management?, the leagues he won as a player? all the trophies he won as a manager? to jump ahead of the competition MK Dons? 

or do you not want to just sit, engage your brain, take your head out of your arse and realise he's hired because of his name, the publicity and PR/attention it got us?

I said earlier I'm mixed on him as a manager, he's done good, done bad - this season is his season but you're one of the ones with their heads constantly in their arse when it comes to almost everything about our club.

You've some brass neck you mongo.

You made a whiny post the other day about cunts who have to make an extreme exaggeration to make their point yet you've no self awareness about you to realise you do the same all the fucking time.

The post I quoted of yours was of you essentially saying the board couldn't give a fuck about results on the park. Which is a fucking outrageously ridiculous statement to make.

Just now, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

You've some brass neck you mongo.

You made a whiny post the other day about cunts who have to make an extreme exaggeration to make their point yet you've no self awareness about you to realise you do the same all the fucking time.

The post I quoted of yours was of you essentially saying the board couldn't give a fuck about results on the park. Which is a fucking outrageously ridiculous statement to make.

Lie down and grunt ya wee rat.

4 minutes ago, King Jela said:

Its pretty black and white for me. Their offside goal doesn't stand we have extra time, momentum on our side and an extra man. 

Just like when we had home advantage and a man advantage for 30 minutes at 2-2 against them. 

21 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

The whole wage bill argument is nonsense, in my view.

Liverpool won a CL and nearly got 100 league points last year, might get over 100 this year and their wage bill AND transfer spending does not come close to United, Chelsea never mind the top team Man City.

I never heard those finance excuses being used for Mark Warburton or Pedro who's finances were much less than Gerrard's!

I do think sometimes we get too caught up in finances and the old firms matches. 

You can win a league title with a poor old firm record. Our last league title, we won 1, drew 1 and lost 2.  The key was we beat everyone else in the league.

We can't win the league but if we keep dropping points to limited sides like Hearts, Kilmarnock and Aberdeen.  If it were just down to finances we should be streets ahead of them on the pitch. 

With 2 years under his belt Gerrard has no more excuses imo, these sides aren't doing anything different yet we still struggle to beat them.  He needs to crack this or that lot will runaway with it again. 

Just now, OhW said:

Just like when we had home advantage and a man advantage for 30 minutes at 2-2 against them. 

What the actual fuck does a game against them in March 2018 have to do with 3 officials robbing us in December 2019?

Archived