Will we sign a traditional number 9?

jbm26896

If we sell Alfie , do we think the manager will sign a traditional out and out striker to play through the middle , or sign a striker that can play anywhere across the front 3.

He is a big fan of the way Liverpool play with all front players having pace and the ability to play anywhere across the front line.

In pre season , i feel we have not played many long balls directly to Morelos , but more to feet.

A lot depends on who we sign to play upfront.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I think in Scotland you need a ‘proper’ centre forward with some physical presence. 

I would agree , but who?

And is that plan B, 

We have a chance to expose CH who can only man mark players if we interchange the front 3.

Dykes , Cosgrove, in Scotland , but would they do a job for us.?

21 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

I think in Scotland you need a ‘proper’ centre forward with some physical presence. 

Nice one touch football will only take you so far in Scottish football, you have to bludgeon your way to trophies. 

We’ll not sign a traditional number 9 coz as seen the first half yesterday and many a time in the spl , we create nothing when teams sit in , we need a striker that can do it all and occupy a full back 4 on their own , this is a massive loss the buff going , anybody underestimates this is off their head 

46 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

If we sell Alfie , do we think the manager will sign a traditional out and out striker to play through the middle , or sign a striker that can play anywhere across the front 3.

He is a big fan of the way Liverpool play with all front players having pace and the ability to play anywhere across the front line.

In pre season , i feel we have not played many long balls directly to Morelos , but more to feet.

A lot depends on who we sign to play upfront.

Think you may have answered your own question there

4 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

We’ll not sign a traditional number 9 coz as seen the first half yesterday and many a time in the spl , we create nothing when teams sit in , we need a striker that can do it all and occupy a full back 4 on their own , this is a massive loss the buff going , anybody underestimates this is off their head 

i agree , but i looks as if he may go this week.

Shankland is worth a punt but we need real quality if we're cashing in.

Potentially an English premier league player who doesn't play now/looking for a new club to re-establish themselves, wages aren't ridiculous and  scores for fun ideally. :hmmm:

53 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

A lot depends on who we sign to play upfront.  Im thinking 2 forwards, at least one of those who fits that model.  

I think mobility and the ability to switch up with Hagi and Kent are important.

3 minutes ago, bobbyorr said:

I think mobility and the ability to switch up with Hagi and Kent are important.

I agree, dont know anything about him, but people say Roofe is that type of player.

Maybe him and a physical CF as back up.

12 minutes ago, Doron said:

We create plenty of chances. I’d love a clinical finisher. Of any size and build.

We have defoe for finishing, he’s the wrong size so you definitely wouldn’t take “any size and build”

44 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

However i feel we need a physical CF as an option as well.

100%. Doesn’t have to be Alfredos replacement, but someone who can come off the bench and give us another option when needed/ someone to play crosses in to.

44 minutes ago, CR3 said:

Shankland is worth a punt but we need real quality if we're cashing in.

Potentially an English premier league player who doesn't play now/looking for a new club to re-establish themselves, wages aren't ridiculous and  scores for fun ideally. :hmmm:

Shankland was worth a punt when he was available on a freebie over a year ago.

Fuck paying through the nose to they fucking idiots, unless they're rooked with what's went on and we can get him cheap.

1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

Disagree completely mate, when you have one true goal threat, and you have teams parking the bus - it doesn't matter how hard that one player makes it for the defence they'll know who to concentrate on.

My only wish is if we actually changed our system to two up front, because that's the only way I see us being successful in this backwater. I don't see it happening though.

If you have two strikers up front, opposition defenders have a harder time knowing who's the real goal threat. Of course, I know we have plenty of players running about the box, but a partnership of one striker dragging the defence out of position and opening up space for the other striker has worked extremely well in the past for us. I see it as far better than one striker up front alone, often isolated.

52 minutes ago, Bossorange said:

We have defoe for finishing, he’s the wrong size so you definitely wouldn’t take “any size and build”

Get your point. I just want a 20 goal plus striker. Pace and finishing for me.

59 minutes ago, Mr Soprano said:

Shankland was worth a punt when he was available on a freebie over a year ago.

Fuck paying through the nose to they fucking idiots, unless they're rooked with what's went on and we can get him cheap.

Going by what i have been told the Dundee United chairman is a billionaire with plans to heavily invest this season. I mean they invested quite a lot of cash for Micky Mellons contract. 

Paying for Shankland will be a price tag that will be way over the top.

57 minutes ago, Swally said:

Disagree completely mate, when you have one true goal threat, and you have teams parking the bus - it doesn't matter how hard that one player makes it for the defence they'll know who to concentrate on.

My only wish is if we actually changed our system to two up front, because that's the only way I see us being successful in this backwater. I don't see it happening though.

If you have two strikers up front, opposition defenders have a harder time knowing who's the real goal threat. Of course, I know we have plenty of players running about the box, but a partnership of one striker dragging the defence out of position and opening up space for the other striker has worked extremely well in the past for us. I see it as far better than one striker up front alone, often isolated.

Centre mids nowhere near mobile or good enough to play 2 up front I’m afraid any 3 in the spl against any of our 2 in the middle of the park would run over the top of us 

23 minutes ago, TheJacketRFC said:

If we sign a player like Dykes for our number 9 i will smash my head off a brick wall :confused:

Calm down.If we sign Dykes or Kamberi , it won't be as our first choice striker. 

1 minute ago, dougal72 said:

Calm down.If we sign Dykes or Kamberi , it won't be as our first choice striker. 

I would take Kambri and be pretty happy with it, His work rate when he came on was great and chipped in with a goal or two. 

Dykes though not sure with him.

Archived