Tactics - Jack/Morelos

stewaj3

Thought our setup was interesting yesterday. We almost fluctuated from our normal formation to a 3 4 3 at points. With Tav and Barisic well up the park and Jack dropping back, at times further back than the CBS. 

I've said 3 4 3 but with Alfredo came deep and almost played as an AM with Kent and Hagi going in behind you could even say 3 5 2

What's everyone's thoughts on the set up? Any individual pick ups? I'm pleased with how the game went yesterday, but have a few things that I thought were talking points in that set up

Kamara/Jack

I think they controlled the midfield, saw Kamara getting some stick, but I thought he was good. I feel like he gets stick even if he's done well. Plenty of runs and forward passes. That being said not sure we need him and Jack (or Davis for that matter) in an SPL team together and felt we lacked a bit of creativity and energy from midfield, it's a results based business though and they definitely dominated.

Tav

Much more disciplined than he used to be, no longer tries to run on behind or take on players all the time. I think this has pros and cons, it's made us a lot more solid and less likely to be exposed on the counter attack... At the same time... It used to be such an exciting method of attacking. Will still contribute goals and assists, but he's definitely changes his game since Gerrard came in.

Morelos/Kent/Hagi

Did his bit with a great assist and nearly set up a second. Looked a bit heavier, but I'm sure that will be worked off. Him coming deep definitely mixed it up and allowed Kent and Hagi to become more of a goal threat. I'd like all 3 to get 15+ this season.. if Morelos stays! Hagi has shown in the past that he has an eye for goal.... He had an off day yesterday. I think both Kent and Hagi need to play nearer the striker and push on beyond him.

I'm not a fan of the player, but we've not replaced Josh Windass's numbers and he did  exactly that, if Hagi and Kent do this I don't see why they can't do the same, whilst continuing to be a huge upgrade on windass in general play.

Would love to get others thoughts on this

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hated the setup with the front three. Alfie needs to be further up in my opinion, giving their centre backs hell for 90 minutes. Didn't like the way he was so deep as it left Kent and Hagi with too much to do and not enough support in and around the box. Could be wrong though, I'm no tactician.

I thought Kamara and to a lesser extent, Jack, lost their concentration/intensity after 60 mins or so. 

We were right on top of them whenever they had throw ins in the first half but they were able to escape a lot quicker in the second, helped them grow into the game.

2 minutes ago, simplythebestest said:

I hated the setup with the front three. Alfie needs to be further up in my opinion, giving their centre backs hell for 90 minutes. Didn't like the way he was so deep as it left Kent and Hagi with too much to do and not enough support in and around the box. Could be wrong though, I'm no tactician.

I agree in that I also think we need Morelos in the box, but one of our biggest problems last year was we had no space in behind and I like the idea of trying different things to make that space.

Makes me wonder if we'll see a different type of striker come in if Morelos goes. Also think that if Brandon Barker is to have an impact as a Rangers player that tactic would be a good fit as he has pace to get in behind.

Same as you in that I'm not sure if it's a good tactic or not, think it worked yesterday....but don't know if it's going to work long term

2 minutes ago, McKissock said:

I thought Kamara and to a lesser extent, Jack, lost their concentration/intensity after 60 mins or so. 

We were right on top of them whenever they had throw ins in the first half but they were able to escape a lot quicker in the second, helped them grow into the game.

I'd agree with that, think the whole team lost their way a bit 2nd half. 1st half was total control without creating loads of chances 

I much prefer the way we are set up this season. 4-2-3-1 is far more flexible than the rigid 4-3-3 we've persisted with in recent seasons. After complaining about the ineffectivness of our midfield, basically every goal we've scored in pre-season and yesterday has been from our midfielders. That is what you need to win championships and is a result of this change. Also we've looked overrun in midfield in some games especially against celtic. I haven't seen that in pre-season or yesterday. 

The two holding midfielders protects the back four, and importantly allows Tav and Barisic to push up more safely. Barisic has one of the best deliveries from wide and Tav has plenty of energy. Having cover also allows the attacking midfielders freedom to run beyond Morelos, and they are more effective centrally. I agree it is better not having Morelos deep as he bullies the centre backs and drags them everywhere leaving gaps. As important as his goals are whoever replaces him must have that workrate, strength and ability to bully players otherwise we will struggle with one up.  

I actually thought yesterday when watching it we were trying to copy how Liverpool play with Alfie dropping deeper into a Firmino role allowing more space for our two wide forwards to give them a greater goal threat with Aribo making runs into the box from midfield and our two full backs pushed higher up. Just not really sure that Alfie is suited to that role. 

34 minutes ago, simplythebestest said:

Morelos dropping deep was how we scored. 

I like the fluid front 3 with Aribo coming forward from midfield. Defenders have no comfort zone as one minute they are facing Hagi, next Kent, next Morelos.

It has to be Jack or Kamara is those type of games. Don't think there is much to choose between them as DM's but we don't need both.

The new chap was well scouted. Looks like a decent addition to the back 4.

19 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Exactly.

We need to evolve from this “if Morelos is rotten today, we’ll not score” mindset and expect plenty of goals from all three forwards.

Morelos is a handful but he can’t really play with a partner and we don’t seem to have options if he’s injured/absent/off form.

Much harder to defend against three mobile, interchangeable (in terms of coming deep) forwards than a “system” built around one guy with “target man” on his jersey.

If and when he goes, his replacement will not be a Morelos clone imo.

I’ll never be convinced 2 CM playing for Rangers should contribute nothing positive,  always been the mainstay of our title winning teams , we’ve came away from that game yesterday and jacks not created a single chance or had a shot at goal , did he even play a forward pass? Kamara had one shot and over hit a cross, I’ve heard many a time it’s not their job , nonsense , anybody could do what they 2 do , they don’t fly into tackles and set the tone either that’s an absolute myth to , it will come back to haunt us as it always does the stuffier the opposition gets , the two of them need replaced 

I don’t know much about tactics but it was worrying that after half time I couldn’t remember a shot on goal for about 30 minutes and SG never tried to anything whilst the sheep made use of their subs as they crept back into the game.

We happily got the 3 points but I would imagine most had the same feeling where we were all waiting for the sucker punch which gladly never came. The red card reduced the tension also and I believe Barker should have been brought on during the last 10 - 20 minutes.

We held out so hopefully that is a change from the past but we really need that second goal and changes are required to instigate that sometimes rather than trying to desperately hold onto a precious 1-0 where it can all go so wrong in a few seconds.

5 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

I don’t know much about tactics but it was worrying that after half time I couldn’t remember a shot on goal for about 30 minutes and SG never tried to anything whilst the sheep made use of their subs as they crept back into the game.

We happily got the 3 points but I would imagine most had the same feeling where we were all waiting for the sucker punch which gladly never came. The red card reduced the tension also and I believe Barker should have been brought on during the last 10 - 20 minutes.

We held out so hopefully that is a change from the past but we really need that second goal and changes are required to instigate that sometimes rather than trying to desperately hold onto a precious 1-0 where it can all go so wrong in a few seconds.

I too thought Barker should have played the last 15-20. If nothing else, it would have allowed us to pin them back and allowed us to control the game again and further up the park. With his speed, I could have seen us score a 2nd and kill the game off.  They are a slow team at the back and we didn't exploit that at all. Except the goal. Too slow and narrow for me yesterday.

48 minutes ago, Leeds_Bear said:

Somebody want to tell Ally that, please. No wonder he was a shit manager.  Love the man, but if he cant see what the tactic was......

Even my non football fan brother, who watched 5m of the game, worked it out.

41 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

I know some fans cant see by Jack, but he was our worst player for me yesterday. Poor, too many bad passes.

I’ve never rated him mate , he had a good spell start of last season but he’s a very average spl player and miles off a Rangers centre midfielder , Gerrards first pick though so the chances of replacing him are zero 

11 minutes ago, ayrshireranger said:

I too thought Barker should have played the last 15-20. If nothing else, it would have allowed us to pin them back and allowed us to control the game again and further up the park. With his speed, I could have seen us score a 2nd and kill the game off.  They are a slow team at the back and we didn't exploit that at all. Except the goal. Too slow and narrow for me yesterday.

It was just the same as the last two seasons with little action from the bench at certain times which is worrying. We got there in the end but we did need fresh legs.

2 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

It was just the same as the last two seasons with little action from the bench at certain times which is worrying. We got there in the end but we did need fresh legs.

A second goal and we would have made many changes. At 1-0 it was a case of hanging on and making the most of those who started the game.

2 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

A second goal and we would have made many changes. At 1-0 it was a case of hanging on and making the most of those who started the game.

I felt we were hanging on for most of the second half as our goal threat was non existing.  Until the 100% red you can’t tell me you never had the fear for the last ten minutes of that game ? 😂

Archived