Morelos Watch

coopsleftboot

58 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

A lot of guys got short memories - nobody and I mean nobody contributed more to that team last season than Morelos - when he hit a slump in form no one in that team man enough to take over the mantle from him

Wish we still had that great Morelos. Not the January guy who is still here now.

• Replies 529
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Could go 1 of 2 ways, he could spit the dummy as soon as hes dropped for one of the 2 new boys for a few games or he could kick on and hit new heights

The worry is can we afford to take the risk, his stock is as high as its going to get (I think so anyway) so do we cash in now or hold onto him for another season in the hope his form picks up again soon...

Not a decision I'd want to make 

I like to think he would have too much respect for us to shaft us like that but in the modern day game cash is king and loyalty is hard to come by.

Its one of them, how long is a piece of string? We will just need to ride it out and hope for the best.

3 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Many, probably most. 

Some others like Defoe are obviously well paid and multi millionaires, but quite humble with it and seem to give lots back too.

Defoe is probably the most professional player we have had. But he knows he’s not got long to pull a wage.

What has he given back? Just because he’s a decent human doesn’t mean he donated his wage to Erskine etc. 

1 hour ago, dummiesoot said:

I agree with @Lord Lockin no-one stepped up as Alfie went off form. Too much reliance on one player's form.

Who would you expect to step up? Defoe scored more goals than him in the league last year - so I would say the 37 year old did quite well. Greg Stewart?

That’s the problem with playing a system with one recognisable striker, if that striker goes off the boil you’re going to struggle.

Maybe Gerrard should have dropped him when he wasn’t performing, maybe that would have got the best out of Alfy, instead of him thinking his place was pretty much guaranteed?

Aribo, Hagi and Kent have all contributed important goals.

The point is, not one person is denying Alfredo’s contribution. The point is he is no longer the same player and he wants away.

We can all bask in the glory of Alfredo during him being amazing in Europe and scoring other important goals elsewhere, but for past glories to alter more recent perceptions of him is just as silly as our recent perceptions of him altering what he has achieved in the past.

Our football club is built on various qualities, trying to be the best we can be, not giving up, being ruthless.

It’s funny, between Alfredo and the fans that know the club so well, he’s the one being ruthless. He is the one who’s dropping us for what he considers to be the right move for him.

We should be acknowledging his contribution and understanding it’s best for both parties that we sell him now because he doesn’t want it anymore and we can get a good fee for him.

Not wanking ourselves off because he was once good and might be able to get close to that again while being forced to put up with us for one more season until he gets to where he really wants to go.

The second last paragraph reminds me of our club mentality, that last paragraph doesn’t. Except from Europe, no one will convince me otherwise that the last few seasons have been failures. 

Our club is about getting silverware, not trying to hang onto a once good player who doesn’t want to be at the club any more.

Imo Smith would have sorted him out long ago or had him out on his arse.

4 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Defoe is probably the most professional player we have had. But he knows he’s not got long to pull a wage.

What has he given back? Just because he’s a decent human doesn’t mean he donated his wage to Erskine etc. 

Hopefully he is almost playing a coaching / mentor role in improving and developIng other squad squad members. Whether he does is anyone’s guess. 

3 hours ago, Valance1690 said:

Could go 1 of 2 ways, he could spit the dummy as soon as hes dropped for one of the 2 new boys for a few games or he could kick on and hit new heights

The worry is can we afford to take the risk, his stock is as high as its going to get (I think so anyway) so do we cash in now or hold onto him for another season in the hope his form picks up again soon...

Not a decision I'd want to make 

If he wants out I'd sell him as he won't be 100% behind the badge feeling like that. I do feel those in the press who are mean spirited have contributed to him wanting to leave. I also feel his agent isn't giving him good advice.

2 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

If he wants out I'd sell him as he won't be 100% behind the badge feeling like that. I do feel those in the press who are mean spirited have contributed to him wanting to leave. I also feel his agent isn't giving him good advice.

Agree with everything, would rather sell him now as I think his head is gone personally but if we could get him focused again then it's a no brainer that he stays.

I think the press have got to him a fair bit & hes getting more and more frustrated after every game where hes not scoring. His agent I'm not sure about but all agents will pressure their players into the big transfers as they get a cut so selfishly theyll want him to move! 

10 hours ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Wish we still had that great Morelos. Not the January guy who is still here now.

True, when he carried the team, and he's not the only January guy but he seems to be carrying the can 

8 hours ago, Swally said:

Who would you expect to step up? Defoe scored more goals than him in the league last year - so I would say the 37 year old did quite well. Greg Stewart?

That’s the problem with playing a system with one recognisable striker, if that striker goes off the boil you’re going to struggle.

Maybe Gerrard should have dropped him when he wasn’t performing, maybe that would have got the best out of Alfy, instead of him thinking his place was pretty much guaranteed?

Aribo, Hagi and Kent have all contributed important goals.

The point is, not one person is denying Alfredo’s contribution. The point is he is no longer the same player and he wants away.

We can all bask in the glory of Alfredo during him being amazing in Europe and scoring other important goals elsewhere, but for past glories to alter more recent perceptions of him is just as silly as our recent perceptions of him altering what he has achieved in the past.

Our football club is built on various qualities, trying to be the best we can be, not giving up, being ruthless.

It’s funny, between Alfredo and the fans that know the club so well, he’s the one being ruthless. He is the one who’s dropping us for what he considers to be the right move for him.

We should be acknowledging his contribution and understanding it’s best for both parties that we sell him now because he doesn’t want it anymore and we can get a good fee for him.

Not wanking ourselves off because he was once good and might be able to get close to that again while being forced to put up with us for one more season until he gets to where he really wants to go.

The second last paragraph reminds me of our club mentality, that last paragraph doesn’t. Except from Europe, no one will convince me otherwise that the last few seasons have been failures. 

Our club is about getting silverware, not trying to hang onto a once good player who doesn’t want to be at the club any more.

Imo Smith would have sorted him out long ago or had him out on his arse.

I wasn't talking about stepping up to the mark in the context of goal scoring, I'm talking about someone taking the game by the scruff of the neck and therefore lifting the full team, it's sad that when the Buff isn't playing well the full teams fucked.

You say Gerrard should have dropped him when he wasn't performing - the full fuckin team would have been dropped at some point - some a lot more than Morelos

7 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

And I feel not once have the club given him any backing regarding the media and the way he's been hounded ever since he became a threat.

8 hours ago, Sweetheart said:

Agents are paid a percentage of the deal they strike.  They have nobody’s interest at heart other than their own.  

28 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

And I feel not once have the club given him any backing regarding the media and the way he's been hounded ever since he became a threat.

How do you know? How do you know what is said privately to him or Do you want the club to write a weekly column in the rags?

9 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

I think with a lot of players their charitable work goes far further than giving monerary contributions. Not just Defoe but many players at many clubs.

Defoe specifically has an OBE for fir charitable work, and a charity foundation he set up. The support and aid he gave Bradley Lowery was over and above him being a decent human. He also hugely raised awareness and monetary support in the fight against childhood cancer.

With players of such profile often its their personal involvement, their time, their personal backing of issues that is far more beneficial than their money. We even see it with Alfredo and his work back home.

Giving a few quid would be easy and short term. What some players do is longterm and life changing and in so many cases we're probably not even aware of it.

Alfredo, being the focal point of the team, has carried us the past two seasons. If he wants out thats sound by me, the only issue i see is that it shows gerrards man management  and tactical skills up for what they are.   This is the third pre season we skelp teams and when it comes to the business of the day job he reverts to type. I cannae believe barker came in from the cold in germany and the team looked like it did at the tail end of last season, sluggish and devoid of answers. Maybe morelos sees something we dont and want away 

1 hour ago, Lord Lockin said:

True, when he carried the team, and he's not the only January guy but he seems to be carrying the can 

I'd agree he's not the only one. But he's our best and most valuable (financially and onfield returns) player in our squad. Our system has been designed largely around him so when he's off form its disastrous (Gerrard to blame for not having us drilled in a plan B). 

But imo he's not off form, his head simply isn't in the right place, the efforts not there. And that is why its simply unacceptable, he's been exceptional but we built the platform to get him there. Now it seems he doesn't really give a fuck and he deserves the most criticism for it (feel free to highlight the other failures and why on threads relevant to them too👍).

14 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I think with a lot of players their charitable work goes far further than giving monerary contributions. Not just Defoe but many players at many clubs.

Defoe specifically has an OBE for fir charitable work, and a charity foundation he set up. The support and aid he gave Bradley Lowery was over and above him being a decent human. He also hugely raised awareness and monetary support in the fight against childhood cancer.

With players of such profile often its their personal involvement, their time, their personal backing of issues that is far more beneficial than their money. We even see it with Alfredo and his work back home.

Giving a few quid would be easy and short term. What some players do is longterm and life changing and in so many cases we're probably not even aware of it.

Agree Totally 

but the context would be “giving back” to the club. Many players do excellent work but 99% of them do not connect that work with the club they play for.  That’s because they don’t feel too much for their paymaster yet we expect them to love us as much as we idolise them.  

supporters get angry the way they treat the club but ultimately it’s a job, a place of work and if someone offers more cash they won’t turn it down because thousands of fans chant their name or get their name on a shirt.  

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

How do you know? How do you know what is said privately to him or Do you want the club to write a weekly column in the rags?

Whether they are or are not saying anything  privately is no use what so ever - the media are trying to destroy him publicly and the club should be seen to defend him publicly - not once has this happened - fuck sake he's been racially abused  three times that we know of, might be more, no defence from the club or his team mates, makes down on one knee a bit ironic

42 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

I'd agree he's not the only one. But he's our best and most valuable (financially and onfield returns) player in our squad. Our system has been designed largely around him so when he's off form its disastrous (Gerrard to blame for not having us drilled in a plan B). 

But imo he's not off form, his head simply isn't in the right place, the efforts not there. And that is why its simply unacceptable, he's been exceptional but we built the platform to get him there. Now it seems he doesn't really give a fuck and he deserves the most criticism for it (feel free to highlight the other failures and why on threads relevant to them too👍).

looked as if he was giving a fuck against Aberdeen, agree didn't look to clever the other night

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It’s mental when you think of it, most people when they become middle-aged start to worry about shit like that happening to them. I hope I don’t get this or I dont get that. A child getting cancer is just incomprehensible, not even lived yet.

Archived