*****Official 20/21 EL Qualifying thread*****

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thought I would create this thread for all the draws in qualifying and update people on draw dates/times, possible opponents etc. Something to look forward to over the next few weeks.  We've had

Should score at least one over there and make game at Ibrox a formality.

Can I order 2 home and one away top please.

Posted Images

Willem & Galatasaray are tougher rounds than anything Motherwell have and if Aberdeen get past Sporting their opponents are also easier in the play-off round.

If we get to the groups this year, we have thoroughly earned it. 

The scums draw is a joke. You shouldn't be allowed in two European competitions every year.

VentyFour, gordo7 and BlueAvenger like this
37 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

The scums draw is a joke. You shouldn't be allowed in two European competitions every year.

Can’t agree with this more. You want to play with the big boys in the champions league? Fine but if you’re out you’re out.

bluenoz likes this

If we get through Willem which I really think we should then Galatasaray or Hadjuk don't really bother me.

Galatasaray are a huge club and definietely the biggest we've played  in these Europa qualifiers over the last 2 years. However, they aren't what they used to be at all. 

It could have been better but it could have been a lot worse!

MurrayWilson likes this
10 minutes ago, Sket said:

Were you saying that in 2007/2008....

We got that as a consolation for coming third in a four team group though.

They got papped out by diddies before even qualifying for the tournament.

21 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

See to be honest I couldn't give a fuck about the EL this year, last couple season have been enjoyable but it's the league for me this year.

There's absolutely no good reason why we can't show up well in the Europa and win the league. 

It comes down to having a good squad and utilising it right at the right time/s.

A bit of snaps inside every time I see someone say they're not bothered about Europe or that getting put out would be a good thing.

Last season we took in something in the region from 12/13-million from the Europa league games, which in turn has allowed us to buy the likes of Hagi, Roofe, Itten (with the possibility of another couple of midfielders) even if we don't sell Morelos. That helps us look stronger in the league. 

Last couple of years we haven't lost the league due to our European games - it's been because we've struggled to break down shite like Kilmarnock and Hamilton consistently. 

6 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Get into the groups and play a second string, too big of a domestic campaign this term to run the risk of players picking up injuries and getting knackered with the Thursday/Sunday routine. 

Potential benefit this year with the transfer window is that if we were to progress we would have enough time to get another player or two. I think the past two seasons the amount of games first half of the seasonhas contributed to us burning out after Christmas.

BridgeIsBlue likes this
7 minutes ago, The Monk said:

Potential benefit this year with the transfer window is that if we were to progress we would have enough time to get another player or two. I think the past two seasons the amount of games first half of the seasonhas contributed to us burning out after Christmas.

No winter break this year either. 

24 minutes ago, British_Empire said:

There's absolutely no good reason why we can't show up well in the Europa and win the league. 

It comes down to having a good squad and utilising it right at the right time/s.

A bit of snaps inside every time I see someone say they're not bothered about Europe or that getting put out would be a good thing.

Last season we took in something in the region from 12/13-million from the Europa league games, which in turn has allowed us to buy the likes of Hagi, Roofe, Itten (with the possibility of another couple of midfielders) even if we don't sell Morelos. That helps us look stronger in the league. 

Last couple of years we haven't lost the league due to our European games - it's been because we've struggled to break down shite like Kilmarnock and Hamilton consistently. 

It's not just about the money we get from Europe (which is massive and vital to the clubs health off the pitch).  Europe also provides a stage for our players to showcase their talent which attracts interest and increases their transfer value.  

In the previous two seasons we've reached the groups in Europe and it hasn't impacted us at all domestically.  Things have went down after the winter breaks so it's not as if people can point to the European fixtures and say 'this is why we're failing domestically'.  If anything, playing against better opposition in Europe will only make Rangers a better team.

18 minutes ago, The Monk said:

I think the past two seasons the amount of games first half of the seasonhas contributed to us burning out after Christmas.

You're assuming the team has 'burnt out' after the winter break there's nothing to suggest this is what happened.  Why would they be 'burnt out' physically and mentally when they've just benefitted from a winter break?  People were pointing at Dubai and blaming the training there as the cause for poor form earlier in the year.  There's nothing to support that claim either.