European Coefficient

esquire8

12 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Really? First I've heard of a new competition. I did not know that.

Scotland will have an extra team in Europe next term after Uefa confirmed that the Premiership has earned two Champions League places.

The Scottish champions will be in the third qualifying round - two ties from the group stage - and the runners-up will enter a round earlier.

The Scottish Cup winners will enter the Europa League third qualifying round.

And the teams that finish third and fourth in the league will be in the new Europa Conference League.

Those sides will start in the second qualifying round.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Siam69 said:

Scotland will have an extra team in Europe next term after Uefa confirmed that the Premiership has earned two Champions League places.

The Scottish champions will be in the third qualifying round - two ties from the group stage - and the runners-up will enter a round earlier.

The Scottish Cup winners will enter the Europa League third qualifying round.

And the teams that finish third and fourth in the league will be in the new Europa Conference League.

Those sides will start in the second qualifying round.

That's what I thought. So if Rangers or them win the SC I assume the spot goes to the fifth place team. Is that right?

In any case, it gives further chances to increase the coefficient.

52 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

Aye, Europa Conference or some nonsense for diddy teams.

You say diddy clubs but if it had come in a year earlier we would have been in it. As Scotland only had 4 places, it would have been 1 CL and 1 EL for cup winner and 2 EC, 2nd and 3rd in league, which would have been us. It shows how important it was that we got Scotlands coefficient to a level Scotland are a top 15 country. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53688401

Article from the start August comfirmed the rounds and everything else. Not idea why the BBC are making out its new news tbh.

No it doesn't, it says it depends on the Swiss as to what round the Scottish Champions go in that. That must be decided now, hence the new release. 

Anyway, whatever, I'm just posting it for people's information, as some didn't know. 

Is the allocation of the EL spot to SC winner a UEFA directive or a SFA/SPFL choice? Because I would be giving the EL spot to 3rd place rather than the SC winner. However, if us, scum or 3rd place win the SC then it'll go to 3rd place anyway but even still. 

1 hour ago, Siam69 said:

Aye, Europa Conference or some nonsense for diddy teams.

Europa Conference,ffs I thought you were takin the piss 😂😂

Surely tae fuck they could have come up with a better name than that 

Another comp for Scottish diddies to make a cunt of themselves 

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

That was confirmed on the 10th August when Shakhtar humped Basel 4-1 in the QFs.

Hopefully we enter the 3rd round for the league champions next year.

An almost unwinnable tie awaits, in whatever round we get . Guaranteed 

And we will never be seeded as often as the scum seem to do everytime .

Sure you will correct me :lol:

3 minutes ago, eejay the dj said:

An almost unwinnable tie awaits, in whatever round we get . Guaranteed 

And we will never be seeded as often as the scum seem to do everytime .

Sure you will correct me :lol:

The seeding is based on your club coefficient and is all transparent. If you go in as champions you go through the champions qualifying route. The top 12 countries champions get straight into the group stage and this is why the scottish champions are usually seeded all the way through the qualifiers, even though the tarriers have still gone out the past 3 seasons. Our problem is the coefficient is a running 5 year total and we have only 3 years of european competition since our return to the top so our coefficient is low compared to the tarriers. Another good year in the EL groups this season should make our chances of getting into CL groups next season easier, whether as champions or runners up. 

I know you believe everything is a conspiracy but you and others have been told on many occasions lately why the scum have a higher coefficient than us!

You win or draw matches and you get coefficient points based over a 5 year period, its really not hard to grasp tbh.

We have two seasons with 0 points, a third(Progres defeat) with 0.25, that's why our coefficient is half that of the scums. 

Its been the same formula for years and years, Uefa are not giving them extra points, even if you believe so. 😆

Thats why us winning and gaining points this season is vital going forward.

Its not unwinnable ties at all. Based on this season and our seeding it would be sides like Young Boys, Qarabag, Tel Aviv, Zagreb etc in Q3.

Q4 would be a bit harder - Olympiakos, Salzburg, Slavia Prague and Ferencváros 

FYI if the scum finish second they would be unseeded in Q3 and Q4 of the league route and play sides like Benfica, Kiev, Gent etc.

Cheers mate .It was good to get that breakdown .You are good at that tbh 

Just as side point, if FIFA succeed in a European Premier League - perhaps they would consider a "European Championship League" as a tier down?? The OF would be certs to be in that based on current rankings, we might see the end of domestic competition sooner than we thought.

Fifa have again today publicly distanced themselves from this super league. 

I dont think its going to happen personally.

Perhaps, for the moment due to travel restrictions. When we see a way out of COVID, I'm sure it will appear again.

22 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I honestly think we would make the CL group stages if we win the league this season mate.

Only Salzburg/Olympiakos really would make it a 50/50 tie IMO.

Would be amazing .I’m quite happy to get anyone mate .That way we will be Champions 😀

4 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Really? First I've heard of a new competition. I did not know that.

drawn up on the back of a fag packet for diddy teams.
had another listen in to ssb whine in and there were a couple of our own letting them know the co-efficient was down to us over the last 3 seasons,and you would think somebody let rip with the most foul fart you ever sniffed,and all you could hear was coughing and spluttering from "the panel" :mutley:

1 hour ago, Rangers_no1 said:

I honestly think we would make the CL group stages if we win the league this season mate.

Only Salzburg/Olympiakos really would make it a 50/50 tie IMO.

👍 We are a better team than we get credit for. Watching some of the teams in Champions League I think we would more than hold our own. I would be willing to bet we are one of the fittest teams in Europe. 

1 hour ago, hawkfalcons said:

would love the coefficient to be based on clubs performance not nation, they bastards tried to  finish us  in 2012 so fuck them all leeches on our coat tails  taking the crumbs 

Both the country and the club coefficients count. The country coefficient defines how many teams Scotland gets in each competition and at what stage of the qualifiers each team enters the competition. After that it is the clubs individual coefficient which defines if you are seeded or not for each qualifier and what pot you are in if you make the groups. Because we were out of Europe for 5 years we are in the process of rebuilding our club coefficient. This has also improved the Scottish coefficient hence the 2 CL places next year. First season back we had no coefficient points and screwed up against progres. That meant in year 2 we were ranked something like 269th, then the following year were mid 100s and this season I think we were 94th from memory. Our 4 wins this season has taken us to 69th and we should go higher. The advantage we have is that each year as clubs lose the points they earned 6 years ago we are losing zero as we were not in Europe then. We should be able to get up to about 50 to 55th for next season. To put it in context the tarriers are sitting in the mid 30s. The highest I think we have ever been is 24th back around the time we got to Manchester. Once we have 5 years of points in 2 years time if we continue to make group stages we should be up with or ahead of the tarriers. 

1 hour ago, Brubear said:

Both the country and the club coefficients count. The country coefficient defines how many teams Scotland gets in each competition and at what stage of the qualifiers each team enters the competition. After that it is the clubs individual coefficient which defines if you are seeded or not for each qualifier and what pot you are in if you make the groups. Because we were out of Europe for 5 years we are in the process of rebuilding our club coefficient. This has also improved the Scottish coefficient hence the 2 CL places next year. First season back we had no coefficient points and screwed up against progres. That meant in year 2 we were ranked something like 269th, then the following year were mid 100s and this season I think we were 94th from memory. Our 4 wins this season has taken us to 69th and we should go higher. The advantage we have is that each year as clubs lose the points they earned 6 years ago we are losing zero as we were not in Europe then. We should be able to get up to about 50 to 55th for next season. To put it in context the tarriers are sitting in the mid 30s. The highest I think we have ever been is 24th back around the time we got to Manchester. Once we have 5 years of points in 2 years time if we continue to make group stages we should be up with or ahead of the tarriers. 

We have always been ahead and up with the scum mate in class and  in football :rangers:

4 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

👍 We are a better team than we get credit for. Watching some of the teams in Champions League I think we would more than hold our own. I would be willing to bet we are one of the fittest teams in Europe. 

We have been amazing in Europe.

55 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

This new Conference League thing sounds interesting.

Even if you lose a Europa Play-off or finish 3rd in the group stage you just drop into this tournament rather than out of Europe altogether.

Yeah but has no real credibility really. Will be eventually , the tournament for losers 

Archived